Mobil 1 success

The useful life of the vehicle has a lot to do with how well the owner cares for it. Maintenance entails more than oil changes (when the owner remembers) and filling up the car with gas, and the occasional tire change at Walmart.
It may help a lot of users if you went further into what that means. What more than changing the oil and filling up the car with gas does one need to do in order to care for their vehicle?

Well that leaves us to all start using Valvoline restore... 🤣😂
I really miss the days of canned oil...
I miss real glass bottled beer and clear bottled pop.
Also miss using a hand bottle opener or seatbelt to open the glass bottle caps, then tossing the caps thru the small side vent window that slid side-to-side.

I used many quart cans of Valvoline back then. STP and Rislone too.

I miss real glass bottled beer and clear bottled pop.
Also miss using a hand bottle opener or seatbelt to open the glass bottle caps, then tossing the caps thru the small side vent window that slid side-to-side.

I used many quart cans of Valvoline back then. STP and Rislone too.

I stopped drinking alcohol about 5 years ago, I used to drink Heineken, that came in a glass bottle with a bottle cap that had to be popped off..

About oil. Your newer standard oil Walmart SuperTech today is likely better than your older standard M1 from the 90s for a new car today. What does the brand image of M1 since the 90s do for you? I don't know but it doesn't do much for me anymore than Marlboro cars from Formula 1 in the 90s do for me (or RedBull Formula 1 today). Redbull doesn't keep me awake more than a $1 coffee from McDonalds in a double blind test.

The engineers at the car manufacturers did the test on spec oil already so we don't have to. We have oil standard today, so we have SuperTech oil that meet the spec at a good price, nice! If you enjoy M1 feel free to use it, if you enjoy your Rolex watch wear it. I will keep using whatever works at a good price for me, and not overthink it.
Pandemic supply chain issues made me a lot less picky. It's still happening.
Bought oil for the wife's Pacifica, changed it today, got Quaker State synthetic because it was the only 0w-20 on the shelf at Walmart. First time I've bought QS in decades. Went upmarket for a Mobil 1 filter, again because it was the only non-Fram filter on the shelf.

I must be in the minority here, I actually find Mobil1’s advertising/marketing to be kind of boring. The bottle seemingly never changes. Once in while they might shade it a different hue…maybe darker around labeling, sometimes a greenish tint, once in a while a gold, but it’s always the same mundane silver bottle and the never changing Mobil1 logo. And I kind of grown to appreciate that. I know it’s quality oil at an affordable, readily available price. I don’t have to drive around half the world to find it, it’s right there in every parts store and Walmart. Always. They used to run pretty darn good rebates, and the checks would actually arrive.

Meanwhile you have Valvoline coming out with some new oil every six months…restore and protect! Advanced Protection! Modern Engine! And you look at the VOA’s and they all look the same. And Castrol looks like they would place a space ship or Time Machine on their labels (if someone would let them), and I’m surprised they haven’t (yet). Pennzoil I find to be similar to Mobil1…yellow bottle, don’t seem to deviate much…it’s Pennzoil Platinum or Ultra (that you can’t find anywhere) unless you order it online. But it’s yellow bottle, and boom! Some sort of Pennzoil offering.

I will say Mobil1 has a lot of different oils…it can get confusing. ESP, Super Car, FS Euro, EP, Advanced Fuel Economy, High Mileage, Hybrid, Truck and SUV, Racing, Triple Action Formula! That, I could do without.

I remember years ago, when I was managing Valvoline, all they had was Valvoline synpower then they came out with Valvoline Maxlife synthetic. And when I became disabled, that's still all they had, and that was back in 2011, I'm not even sure when they synpower came out with the other two, I know Restore & Protect came out recently.

I've been using Mobil 1 since the mid 80's. The bottles have always had the same basic color and labeling. Sure there are lots of variants and marketing stuff on them...Tri Synthetic, Triple synthetic...etc, but the basic bottle has always been recognizable. The only others I think that have been so consistent are PYB and Quaker State in the green bottle...but QS did deviate for awhile with the clear bottle. I actually liked that clear bottle. It looked like a bottle of engine honey.

It would be neat to have a thread of how the bottles/cans of each brand have changed from, say, 1970 to now, or even 1960.

I've been using Mobil 1 since the mid 80's. The bottles have always had the same basic color and labeling. Sure there are lots of variants and marketing stuff on them...Tri Synthetic, Triple synthetic...etc, but the basic bottle has always been recognizable. The only others I think that have been so consistent are PYB and Quaker State in the green bottle...but QS did deviate for awhile with the clear bottle. I actually liked that clear bottle. It looked like a bottle of engine honey.

It would be neat to have a thread of how the bottles/cans of each brand have changed from, say, 1970 to now, or even 1960.
That clear bottle was the best thing I’ve ever seen in motor oil, shame they got rid of it…heard it was because of the discrepancies of the color of the oil from batch to batch. Something like that…and that makes sense. Could you imagine the internet hyperbole of people posting photos of the different tones and hues of their oil, implying how they got a bad batch? 🤣🤣

That clear bottle was the best thing I’ve ever seen in motor oil, shame they got rid of it…heard it was because of the discrepancies of the color of the oil from batch to batch. Something like that…and that makes sense. Could you imagine the internet hyperbole of people posting photos of the different tones and hues of their oil, implying how they got a bad batch? 🤣🤣
Lol, yep, I can! When I moved last year, I dug up a bottle of QS synthetic 10w30 in a clear 1 quart bottle. It was ?? years old but it looked great. Nothing had settled. I wound up topping off my 08 Jeep's 3.8, which used oil at times, with it.

That marketing stunt worked on me, for sure! I think I ran a number of OCI's with the 5w30 flavor. I had the 10w30 for my lawn mower.

Back