Is Amsoil worth it

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am genuinely curious is Amsoil or any boutique oil worth it? Will they keep wear down? Do they last longer or do anything better? Obviously Amsoil and other boutique oils are good products but are they better enough to be worth it? or even better at all? I consider store bought synthetics to be decent such as Mobil, pennzoil etc. So I am curious how top tier oils stack up? I have considered an amsoil membership which prompted me to ask this question.

Last edited by a moderator:
Amsoil is a very good oil. I would use it before others when it comes to gear oil purposes. But motor oil? Not really.

Amsoil, HPL, etc are good oils but they are not anything to go crazy over especially in a regular daily driver.

Mobil 1, Quakerstate, Pennzoil, Valvoline are all good oils, stick to decent oil change intervals and do not fall for the extended interval bs.

I like Amsoil gear lube and motorcycle oil. It’s not much more expensive and I have had good results in these applications.

With respect to passenger vehicle oil, cost doesn’t bother me and I use Amsoil and HPL. While the information I’ve gathered here leads me to believe they are indeed superior, I don’t care if the benefits aren’t worth the costs, I enjoy using them.

"Worth it"? Probably not. But I still use them for all of the fluids on two of my cars. I also buy Ore-Ida hash browns when I could get the store brand cheaper. Weird, I know. ;)

I am genuinely curious is Amsoil or any boutique oil worth it? Will they keep wear down? Do they last longer or do anything better? Obviously Amsoil and other boutique oils are good products but are they better enough to be worth it? or even better at all? I consider store bought synthetics to be decent such as Mobil, pennzoil etc. So I am curious how top tier oils stack up? I have considered an amsoil membership which prompted me to ask this question.

I am curious in the sense that you have been a member on here for 11 and a half years and you should realize what you posted should come from a newbie.

If I am going to spend the money, which I have in the past. I prefer Red Line. I think it is a superior product and don't care for the MLM aspects of Amsoil. That being said. I am trending the opposite direction now. When I was a lad you could buy re-refined motor oils for like twenty cents a quart. Sequoia brand comes to mind. 1960's oil burners and my chain saw bar don't care. Throw some non-existent approvals on those products and you are playing with the big dogs.

Yes. Their LV SS ATF is fantastic. Expensive but nothing compares to it.

Also if you are looking for synthetic versions of obsolete viscosities like 10w40, SAE 30 or even 10w30 Amsoil has what you need.

I am curious in the sense that you have been a member on here for 11 and a half years and you should realize what you posted should come from a newbie.
I’ve never really paid attention to them until recently. Your comment isn’t helpful or beneficial at all. You would think after 10 years of membership and 1200 posts that you’d be more helpful and have a more intelligent post filled with data and analysis. But alas you didn’t so maybe my question was a newbie question but your comment wasn’t any better. 😁

Take any good/better and cheaper option and change sooner, use more, filter better, maintain proper operating temperature and you will probably never need the boutique lubes.
When in doubt deploy instrumentation, employ testing.

If you're pushing machinery to the limit where lube could be the fail

I think it depends greatly on what the goal is. I have no doubt that it is an excellent product. But if whatever is on sale and is changed at reasonable intervals can take a vehicle to the end of it's useful life for less money then what benefit is there to using a product that excels in extreme conditions that your daily driver will never even experience?

PC membership is definitely worth it if you buy beyond 6-12 quarts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back