mmo in my 93 toyota

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a 1993 toyota 4x4 with 22re motor and 201k miles.
i dont believe previous owner took good care of the truck. oil filler cap has sludge initial oil change oil was extremely dirty oil filter pretty nasty too.

since ive had the truck ive used mobil delvac 1300 15w40 due to high temps here high amount of wheeling i do and the extra weight from camper shell winch roof rack highlift gas cans ect.
i have alway had luck with mobil delvac and have a huge stock pile of it cause my local walmart was selling the gallon jugs for 6 bucks. pretty good deal.

through the oil changes noticed filler cap area getting cleaner and oil looking better when changed. no uoas. using napa gold oil filters too.

wanted to try to get it looking better so today i put in rotella 5w40 hdeo oil with one quart of mmo.

engine quiter also had to turn the idle down went from 750 to about 900rpms. guessing cause the oil was thinner. also noticed my oil pressure is lower probably because thinner oil also.

will keep updating on what i notice. will do oci at 3k and update what i see. also gonna run mmo is gas tank. stuff is cheap about 13 bucks at local walmart for a gallon.

thanks

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: nazareth
i have a 1993 toyota 4x4 with 22re motor and 201k miles.
i dont believe previous owner took good care of the truck. oil filler cap has sludge initial oil change oil was extremely dirty oil filter pretty nasty too.

since ive had the truck ive used mobil delvac 1300 15w40 due to high temps here high amount of wheeling i do and the extra weight from camper shell winch roof rack highlift gas cans ect.
i have alway had luck with mobil delvac and have a huge stock pile of it cause my local walmart was selling the gallon jugs for 6 bucks. pretty good deal.

through the oil changes noticed filler cap area getting cleaner and oil looking better when changed. no uoas. using napa gold oil filters too.

wanted to try to get it looking better so today i put in rotella 5w40 hdeo oil with one quart of mmo.

engine quiter also had to turn the idle down went from 750 to about 900rpms. guessing cause the oil was thinner. also noticed my oil pressure is lower probably because thinner oil also.

will keep updating on what i notice. will do oci at 3k and update what i see. also gonna run mmo is gas tank. stuff is cheap about 13 bucks at local walmart for a gallon.

thanks

How many quarts of oil does your engine hold with the oil filter.

Usually the recommendation for MMO in your gas is 4 ounces of MMO to 10 gallons of gas.

I think you'll be impressed. Keep in mind it might take more than 1 OCI to get that engine really clean, but I'd be willing to bet you will notice a change in the 3000 mi you plan on using it for.

Originally Posted By: ADFD1
I think you'll be impressed. Keep in mind it might take more than 1 OCI to get that engine really clean, but I'd be willing to bet you will notice a change in the 3000 mi you plan on using it for.

Since that engine was neglected it may take a few OCI's to get that engine clean, JMO.

the 22re hold about 4.8 quarts with filter change. i put in about .8 quart of mmo and 4 quarts of oil.

ill see if it makes a difference the first one then maybe do 2 more. the after that if all is well will maybe do that every 3rd oci. or maybe every other oci.

mmo smells like peptobismol

For sure. Not sure how many miles the OP logged on that rig but 201K is a lot of miles on a dirty engine so clean up could take 2-3 OCI's is my guess. But it won't hurt anything that's for sure.

how do i do that?

Take the valve cover off and look down the length of the timing chain. Give the guides the wiggle test (if they're still there).Your vintage 22re uses plastic guides from the factory and they break when the chain gets a little loose and starts slapping at the guides.

Once the guides break, the chain starts sawing its way through the aluminum timing cover until the coolant passage is breeched. The coolant will mix with the engine oil and destroy your bearings faster than fast.

'Yota used to use a double row chain and metal-backed guides before they cheaped out, but that's a topic for another thread.

Also this engine might be able to use a valve adjustment. That would be a good time to check the oil sludge level and the timing chain that Scdevon suggested. If the chain goes I'm betting it takes the engine with it.

With 200k+ on the engine, someone may have already done the chain and guides. You need to listen carefully at a cold startup before the engine builds oil pressure. A loose chain with broken guides will make a real racket. The chain tensioner applies tension via oil pressure and the chain will rattle loudly until the tensioner takes up the slack with increasing oil pressure.

These are otherwise great engines. The chain is the only weak point.

Originally Posted By: panthermike
Nazareth, which Walmart do you get gallons of MMO from? Every WM i've been to down here doesn't have them.

It's luck of the draw. I finally found gallons at the "upscale" WalMart in town. The other 4 around me do not carry them.

My WalMart doesn't carry gallons of MMO, and the local AAP doesn't carry it either. I guess its hit or miss.

The two WalMarts I visited most often (about once every other months) do not carry gallon jugs of MMO. But at $3.xx/qt it is much cheaper than $6.xx/qt at Pep Boys.

in apache junction they are also selling mobil delvac for 6 buck a gallon.

i believe the timing chain and guides was done at 130k miles. no noise on start up at all. suprisingly it runs and drives excellent had a vacuum leak but i was able to fix that

in apache junction they are also selling mobil delvac for 6 buck a gallon.

i believe the timing chain and guides was done at 130k miles. no noise on start up at all. suprisingly it runs and drives excellent had a vacuum leak but i was able to fix that

Oh ok, thanks.

ok got the cover off guides are still there there is very small play in the timing chain is it supposed to be tight or have a little play?

ok did some research valves are good. chain guide on drivers side is loose but looks like good shape. guess this is the common one to break. i will just keep a close eye on it when i breaks i will replace timing chain guides ect. looks like alot of work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back