Marvel Mystery Oil fixed my compression and misfire issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
I worked in a motorcycle shop in the late 70's. It was 18 miles to town, and every now and then, a brand new motorcycle would simply "lock up" on the way. Let it sit for 15 or 20 minutes and it was good to go.

The regional rep told us that it was because the Japanese motorcycles were built to very close tolerances, and that they needed to be warmed up for several minutes before riding them, in order to "equalize the cylinder temperatures".

That same day, a salesman sold the shop owner two cases of Marvel Mystery Oil - with instructions to "add four or five capfuls to the gas tank" on each new motorcycle. After that, we never had another incident.

Looking back, we probably could have used a little 2-stroke oil instead. Or....
It’s works marvels and it a mystery how it works

Do we have actual evidence of this in controlled testing or vs. other popular products? Tough one for me at least on that statement, I've used it for sure in multiple vehicles but I'm not sure if it does much vs. anything else I've used. Their oil on the other hand seems to be a viable long-term cleaner-upper based on several users here experiences and the EC just a prep for that. Maybe "currently is my recommendation for" is a better way to say that, and coming form you, that does carry weight more than others around here.
I'd agree with you here on a couple of points.

1. Unless I am also missing something/story not told in full, there are no other factors to consider.

2. I have also noticed that HPL's EC gets touted as one of the best and feel it should be held to higher "scrutiny" as other products here are. I would also like to know what makes it the "best". Based on their companies transparency and some of the great results posted in UOA's; I don't doubt it is a good product and would try it myself if needed.

Yes, I get what you are saying that you are attributing the chant to MMO but again....the shop fixed the car, here, there was no other reason I can attribute to his results unless he is not telling the whole story/ Here, MMO is an actual product that is supposed to do this with other testimonials of improvement like this, your stick is not. If he had used HPL EC I can bet the convo here would have been different.
I struggle with the whole sequence of events making sense.
- OP buys a vehicle 12 months and 4,000 miles ago, it runs fine
- He proactively changes the injector equipment 6 months ago
- He changes the oil 4x in a year, so 1,000 mile OCI's, with M1 FS 0W-40
- Out of the blue, 2 months ago the engine drops compression enough on the 4 front cylinders to cause misfires. Not one cylinder, not two cylinders, not three cylinders, 4 of 6 *poof*
- He chalks the problem up to the oil:
FTTSHO said:
The only reason why I decided to share this story was because I’ve been using Mobil 1 Euro 0w40 for a year, and compression issues started developing.
- He adds MMO to the oil, thinning it out, all of a sudden all the compression comes back and the misfires vanish just as quickly as they came

Also, it's not exactly easy without a bore scope to get a look at the lifter valley if you pull the dizzy:
1703712303241.jpg

Not saying he didn't use one, but it's not mentioned in the OP. These aren't exactly fun to work on.

So, we've got an oil that survives the 24hr races and the Porsche A40 testing protocols, MB 229.5, VW 502/504, LL-01...etc and somehow changed at 1,000 mile intervals, it bungs up the rings so badly in 4 of 6 holes in one of the most pedestrian engines on earth that it's down compression to the point that it's misfiring.

Does this sound even remotely plausible? Because my BS detector is PEGGED.
Bovine Excrement.gif

- Out of the blue, 2 months ago the engine drops compression enough on the 4 front cylinders to cause misfires. Not one cylinder, not two cylinders, not three cylinders, 4 of 6 *poof*

- He adds MMO to the oil, thinning it out, all of a sudden all the compression comes back and the misfires vanish just as quickly as they came

Also, it's not exactly easy without a bore scope to get a look at the lifter valley if you pull the dizzy:
View attachment 195087

Not saying he didn't use one, but it's not mentioned in the OP. These aren't exactly fun to work on.

So, we've got an oil that survives the 24hr races and the Porsche A40 testing protocols, MB 229.5, VW 502/504, LL-01...etc and somehow changed at 1,000 mile intervals, it bungs up the rings so badly in 4 of 6 holes in one of the most pedestrian engines on earth that it's down compression to the point that it's misfiring.

View attachment 195095
Sure, could be, I don't typically call folks liars here but it's certainly possible and worth asking more questions b/c yes, a bit hard to believe that MMO did this and M1, the fan favorite here, caused it! Who knows.

Do we have actual evidence of this in controlled testing or vs. other popular products? Tough one for me at least on that statement, I've used it for sure in multiple vehicles but I'm not sure if it does much vs. anything else I've used. Their oil on the other hand seems to be a viable long-term cleaner-upper based on several users here experiences and the EC just a prep for that. Maybe "currently is my recommendation for" is a better way to say that, and coming form you, that does carry weight more than others around here.
This is in actual testing of HPL's Engine Cleaner on real vehicles by both myself, WWilson, and others.

Now in the past, and before EC appeared on the scene, I had used Rislone Engine treatment for a suspected VVT problem on our then 2003 PathFinder which cleared up a severe power reduction issue driving through the hills of Missouri on my way down to visit my dad.

I highly suspect that if EC had been available, it would have cleared up the problem as well.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...-tick-what-oil-now.319164/page-4#post-5287332

So yes, I HAVE tested various products in real vehicles.

And knowing the chemistry of EC I stand by my original wording because the chemisrty and the results make sense.

Last edited:
This is in actual testing of HPL's Engine Cleaner on real vehicles by both myself, WWilson, and others.

Now in the past, and before EC appeared on the scene, I had used Rislone Engine treatment for a suspected VVT problem on our then 2004 PathFinder which cleared up a severe power reduction problem through the hills of Missouri.

I highly suspect that if EC had been available, it would have cleared up the problem as well.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...-tick-what-oil-now.319164/page-4#post-5287332

So yes, I HAVE tested various products in real vehicles.
Ok, but you haven't tested them all so saying it's the best is...at most...just a testomonial like the OP. What metrics did you use to quantify the cleaning ability vs. others?

Ok, but you haven't tested them all so saying it's the best is...at most...just a testomonial like the OP.
No, my budget and time doesn't allow me the opportunity to test all engine cleaners. It is more than a testimonial as actual vehicles were used with definitive results.

What metrics did you use to quantify the cleaning ability vs. others?
My basic metrics? Clearing up a problem, slow cleaning so as not to allow globs of sludge to restrict the pickup screen, softening, solving, and breakup of carbon to be caught by the oil filter.

What products besides EC and Rislone Engine Treatment are there that conform to those metrics?

Why didn't the Nissan tech suggest MMO to clear up the 2003 PathFinder VVT problem?

Again, knowing the chemistry of EC I stand by my original wording because the chemistry and the results make sense.

What I see as the problem with the OP's description is not only the sequence of events but the lack of any definitive cause and effect relationships.

Sure, could be, I don't typically call folks liars here but it's certainly possible and worth asking more questions b/c yes, a bit hard to believe that MMO did this and M1, the fan favorite here, caused it! Who knows.
I'm saying there's no way an A40/229.5/502/LL-01 oil changed at 1,000 mile intervals in an engine that's 2-steps away from antique tractor service is going to bung up the rings, let alone enough to reduce compression to the point that it's misfiring. As @Astro14 noted, correlation doesn't equal causation and even if we are hearing a faithful account of the sequence of events (and I have no reason to suspect he's lying), the explanation doesn't make sense; it falls apart under even the most rudimentary of logical analysis.

Last edited:
So, the PhD posts, with experience, and actual analysis, and you reply with a Reddit thread?

Everyone has a right to their opinion.

But not all opinions are equally valid.

Missed that post then, actually I skipped half of them probably.
So glad PhD analyzed it, did he also study why, and write a paper on why commercial pilots are so grumpy?!

No, my budget and time doesn't allow me the opportunity to test all engine cleaners. It is more than a testimonial as actual vehicles were used with definitive results.

My basic metrics? Clearing up a problem, slow cleaning so as not to allow globs of sludge to restrict the pickup screen, softening, solving, and breakup of carbon to be caught by the oil filter.

What products besides EC and Rislone Engine Treatment are there that conform to those metrics?

Why didn't the Nissan tech suggest MMO to clear up the 2003 PathFinder VVT problem?

Again, knowing the chemistry of EC I stand by my original wording because the chemistry and the results make sense.
Lol can’t have a conversation about an additive or lube around here without it turning into HPL testimony/argument.
Sometime between now and 10 years from now there will probably be a new BITOG darling and HPL will go the way of neutra, ARX, kreen etc. etc. around here.
Solevents are cheap, they work well and if used sensibly they don’t hurt anything.

What are these definitive results vs. the competition? Any actual evidence that other products clog screens and cause these issues holding the variables/testing to the same standards?

Lol can’t have a conversation about an additive or lube around here without it turning into HPL testimony/argument.
Sometime between now and 10 years from now there will probably be a new BITOG darling and HPL will go the way of neutra, ARX, kreen etc. etc. around here.
Solevents are cheap, they work well and if used sensibly they don’t hurt anything.
Not permitted here man, move along.

I think HPL will be around, it's a quality product but folks running The Matrix should be a bit more reserved at times with how they promote it to reduce the "shill-i-ness" vibe that more than one person around here has picked up on over the last year or so. This from a guy wearing their t-shirt as a type this, having stickers under the hood, and having recommended it online here and elsewhere on social media to some where I think it makes sense. Wait, LM is calling and wants to yank my shill...er...sponsorship deal 🤣

In honor of this thread, I used a bit of MMO just before my latest Jaguar X-Type oil change. The engine is spotless inside as I have used M1 from the start. The oil did come out blacker than expected, the the fresh oil is staying very clear. Nearly 225K miles. Don't know if MMO did anything worthwhile, other than to dilute the oil prior to change.

I think HPL will be around, it's a quality product but folks running The Matrix should be a bit more reserved at times with how they promote it to reduce the "shill-i-ness" vibe that more than one person around here has picked up on over the last year or so. This from a guy wearing their t-shirt as a type this, having stickers under the hood, and having recommended it online here and elsewhere on social media to some where I think it makes sense. Wait, LM is calling and wants to yank my shill...er...sponsorship deal 🤣
Lol
Yeah it seems to be a legit product 4 sure.

I'm saying there's no way an A40/229.5/502/LL-01 oil changed at 1,000 mile intervals in an engine that's 2-steps away from antique tractor service is going to bung up the rings, let alone enough to reduce compression to the point that it's misfiring. As @Astro14 noted, correlation doesn't equal causation and even if we are hearing a faithful account of the sequence of events (and I have no reason to suspect he's lying), the explanation doesn't make sense; it falls apart under even the most rudimentary of logical analysis.
Perhaps the OP will return to this apparently abandoned thread and provide additional particulars. Based on some of his other posts in this thread I’m not so sure I’d hold my breath while waiting.

Tbh, BITOG is 99% anecdotes. But anyways, I really wasn’t even planning to share this story. The only reason why I decided to share this story was because I’ve been using Mobil 1 Euro 0w40 for a year, and compression issues started developing. Just gotta give it a couple more days, Euro 0w40 lovers will have a fit :)

and also I wasn’t a MMO believer, but it was my last resort, as I was getting really frustrated from throwing money and parts at my truck. I just decided to share it because MMO was the only thing that made a difference. I have no reason to lie, because I was losing my mind over this misfire issue for 2 months.
You don’t have justify your results here. 98% of the participants responded have never done more than change oil and pump up a tire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back