Hyundai Tucson 1.6T Hybrid, engine damaged before first service is due

Last year I was looking at some used cars and a pretty nice Hyundai Elantra came up. Fortunately that was the older model with the 2.0 MPI engine and a 6spd manual tranny, so I was ready to pull the trigger on it.

The next day the owner texted me that it was broken into and the ignition wiring was ripped out. The thieves probably didn’t drive off because it was a manual.
Anyways, his insurance totaled it. Was it a sign from the above not to get a Hyundai?🤔

I am just trying to understand this for my own benefit. The photo is the down the fill hole of the head. So the CVVD system or the CAM is coming into contact with the head?

Bought a my first (and last) Hyundai last September, because we'd like to try Hybrid and Japanese brands all marked up.
Overall happy with our new Tucson 1.6T Hybrid since it has a smooth & quiet ride and thinking it should be reliable given they replaced previous gen's DCT with AT and 1.6T gamma engine is not under any recalls.

Unfortunately, car started making ticking noise since last week when driving uphills (we live in Seattle), it has just 7903 miles ODO. First oil change is due at 8000 miles.
Checked the engine carefully and noticed visible damage right under the oil filler cap, tho no check engine light has poped up:
View attachment 209196

According to my research, I believe the cause is the CVVD system drives the camshaft that hits the engine block, the damage happened here:
(Screenshot taken from some video)
View attachment 209197

I'd expect metal shavings in the *factory fill* engine oil lol
What's worse, because Hyundai now has 10/100k warranty their dealers are all fully occupied with their masterpieces, called 2 dealers today and the first slot to have someone look at the engine is early May. I may have to keep driving it.

Will update this thread if ppl are interested. Ironically this is the first time we had engine problem, other ride (BMW F30 / B48B20) is stonger than this Hyundai over the 7 years of ownership :ROFLMAO:
Why would you mention Hyundai and BMW in same thread? 😡

I’m amazed at the number of complaints about South Korean products here. From appliances, to vehicles, to Lord only knows what other products we’re unknowingly consuming that might be substandard. :unsure:
Actually their LG washers and Samsung TV’s are top notch. But anything on 4 wheels?

I would say any car filled with electronics is a 10 year car before stuff starts to fail. My basic Accent will die from rust first as there just aren't a lot of fancy gadgets.

Manufactures need to bring back cheap basic cars.
Eh, The Caprice and Malibu should have a million issues then. It depends on how you take care of it and what gadgets it has.

How do you take care of electronic modules?
Like ABS? BCM? ECM? What ones are you talking about? The 2000 and 2005 have all that stuff too? Like the touch screen? The Malibu is at 105,000 miles and is LTZ has all that lane departure stuff. That car has not been back to dealer for anything. I am not sure I understand. Remember my job is based off repairing and troubleshooting electronics on Submarines. Like you can clean an inspect your connections, keep the cars parked inside, make sure they are not getting inundated with moisture. I guess I could have worded it better since you can't open all of the modules on any car.

Last edited:
they all tend to get shuddery around 50 k miles. If that's within the warranty you're lucky as it's not just the clutches but often the clutch forks are bent and the actuator has so much play it needs replacing.
How does bmw, audi, and others manage to have no issues with their dct transmissions yet Hyundai does?

I think the cvvd has two little linkages that move in an eccentric fashion to make it work. One of them probably sticks out too far or something.

I like my sohc non vvt engines

How does bmw, audi, and others manage to have no issues with their dct transmissions yet Hyundai does?
VWs dsg wears out the clutches eventually and the dual mass flywheel gets hammered on the TDIs and starts rattling

I heard H/K management has their fingers in the engine manufacturing part of things and make money on the replacement engines as well so there is no incentive from the top to fix the problem. Not sure where I heard that so may be tinfoil hat fodder.

Back