Made in China oil filters.. why all the hate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
tempest I cannot believe you would ever compare the... Place that is china, to canada. I consider canada our closes ally and friend, and they are as close to us americans as you are likely to find anywhere in the world.

Believe it
lol.gif

All the westernized/para-westernized nations share the same cost of living.

All trade is managed. We don't have truly "free trade" unless it's to accomplish something. "Most Favored Nation" status gets given to those who we need to buy off.

The Euro's can't import milk or butter ..so they send it in cookies and chocolate. We have all kinds of trade restrictions on stuff special interest protect here at home.

Nothing gets here that they don't allow here. Don't believe a word of that "free trade" trash. That's only an ideal that you're supposed to believe in so that we can be taken DEEP to the cleaners. It was used when we became the biggest debtor nation under Ronnie the Pied Piper w/Japan ..and it was used by his next successor that truly "topped this" in reshuffling the socio-economic complexion of this nation within one administration.

Spit on the next clown that uses any ideal as a selling point. He's shaking you down.

Monetary debt is repayable with money. Sovereign government does not become a debtor by issuing fiat money, which, in the US, takes the form of a Federal Reserve note, not an ordinary bank note. The word "bank" does not appear on US dollars. Zero maturity money (ZMM) in the dollar economy, is equal M2 plus all money market funds, minus time deposits. It measures the supply of financial assets redeemable at par on demand. ZMM grew from $550 billion in 1971 when President Nixon took the dollar off a (Bretton Woods Agreement)a partial gold standard, to $9.6 trillion as of December 2009, is not a federal debt. It amounts to about 67.3% of US GDP of $14.26 trillion, slightly over the national debt of $12.33 trillion at the same point in time. Sovereign credit is what gives the US economy its inherent strength.

On August 15, 1971, the United States unilaterally terminated convertibility of the dollar to gold. This action, referred to as the Nixon shock, created the situation in which the United States dollar became the sole backing of currencies and a reserve currency for the member states.

China a holder of fiat money is a holder of sovereign credit. The holder of fiat money is not a creditor to the state, as some monetary economists mistakenly claim. Fiat money only entitles its holder a replacement of the same money from government, nothing more. The dollar, being a Federal Reserve note, entitles the holder to exchange the note to another identical note at a Federal Reserve Bank, and nothing else. The holder of fiat money is acting as a state agent, with the full faith and credit of the state behind the instrument, which is good for paying taxes and is legal tender for all debt public and private. Fiat money, like a passport, entitles the holder to the protection of the state in enforcing sovereign credit. It is a certificate of state financial power inherent in sovereignty.

When China exports real wealth to the US for fiat dollars, it is receiving US sovereign credit in exchange of material wealth in the form of goods. Thus the US trade deficit denominated in dollars is in fact US lending to China through buying Chinese goods on sovereign credit. China now is a holder of US fiat money and as such is acting as a state agent of the US, with the full faith and credit of the use behind the US sovereign credit instrument (dollar), which is good for paying US taxes and is legal tender for all debt public and private in the US. Fiat money, like a passport, entitles the holder to the protection of the state in enforcing sovereign credit. It is a certificate of state financial power inherent in sovereignty. Since China does not pay US taxes, the dollars that China receives can only be used to buy US sovereign debt (Treasuries) through extinguishing the US sovereign credit instruments (dollars). Through this transaction, China changes its position from that of an agent of US sovereign credit to that of a creditor to the US. This is why China must buy Treasuries with its surplus dollar - to change it s position from that of a US agent to that of a US creditor.

The only way for China to become free of this dilemma is to require all Chinese exports to be paid in Chinese currency.

I get hasting filters at the local federated auto parts stores.
$2 and made in America.
Why buy from China?

China is Just following the American system of global domination. They are America just from the 1800's to early 1900's.

Originally Posted By: mimelio

Monetary debt is repayable with money. Sovereign government does not become a debtor by issuing fiat money, which, in the US, takes the form of a Federal Reserve note, not an ordinary bank note. The word "bank" does not appear on US dollars. Zero maturity money (ZMM) in the dollar economy, is equal M2 plus all money market funds, minus time deposits. It measures the supply of financial assets redeemable at par on demand. ZMM grew from $550 billion in 1971 when President Nixon took the dollar off a (Bretton Woods Agreement)a partial gold standard, to $9.6 trillion as of December 2009, is not a federal debt. It amounts to about 67.3% of US GDP of $14.26 trillion, slightly over the national debt of $12.33 trillion at the same point in time. Sovereign credit is what gives the US economy its inherent strength.

On August 15, 1971, the United States unilaterally terminated convertibility of the dollar to gold. This action, referred to as the Nixon shock, created the situation in which the United States dollar became the sole backing of currencies and a reserve currency for the member states.

China a holder of fiat money is a holder of sovereign credit. The holder of fiat money is not a creditor to the state, as some monetary economists mistakenly claim. Fiat money only entitles its holder a replacement of the same money from government, nothing more. The dollar, being a Federal Reserve note, entitles the holder to exchange the note to another identical note at a Federal Reserve Bank, and nothing else. The holder of fiat money is acting as a state agent, with the full faith and credit of the state behind the instrument, which is good for paying taxes and is legal tender for all debt public and private. Fiat money, like a passport, entitles the holder to the protection of the state in enforcing sovereign credit. It is a certificate of state financial power inherent in sovereignty.

When China exports real wealth to the US for fiat dollars, it is receiving US sovereign credit in exchange of material wealth in the form of goods. Thus the US trade deficit denominated in dollars is in fact US lending to China through buying Chinese goods on sovereign credit. China now is a holder of US fiat money and as such is acting as a state agent of the US, with the full faith and credit of the use behind the US sovereign credit instrument (dollar), which is good for paying US taxes and is legal tender for all debt public and private in the US. Fiat money, like a passport, entitles the holder to the protection of the state in enforcing sovereign credit. It is a certificate of state financial power inherent in sovereignty. Since China does not pay US taxes, the dollars that China receives can only be used to buy US sovereign debt (Treasuries) through extinguishing the US sovereign credit instruments (dollars). Through this transaction, China changes its position from that of an agent of US sovereign credit to that of a creditor to the US. This is why China must buy Treasuries with its surplus dollar - to change it s position from that of a US agent to that of a US creditor.

The only way for China to become free of this dilemma is to require all Chinese exports to be paid in Chinese currency.
So you are saying China pays our politicians salarys?

Originally Posted By: mimelio

Except that fiat currency is in reality "worthless" .

So you're saying that the US gov't (treasury) doesn't "owe" China, the Federal Reserve does. We all know that the Fed is a PRIVATE institution. Right?

I'm ok with that.

Can we get back to oil filters, how they PERFORM differently since they are made in China as the ORIGINAL question was asked?

I don't have a current example but the Fram oil filters that came apart and were ingested into 80's Suzuki GS motors were reportedly repackaged Chinese filters.

If you do have an odd application that you cannot find a reasonably priced US/Canadian made filter for, you should probably be sticking with OEM.

Otherwise, it's just not worth it to risk your engine to a Chinese filter of unknown quality from the People's (not really the people's at all...) Republic (not as much a Republic as it is a single party Communist state )of China (it is China.which is historically the most innovative culture in the world....until Communism that is)

Can anyone even find any punished performance data (ie, XX% efficiency at Y microns) on any "Made in China" oil filter?

I wouldn't trust the actual China filter in hand to meet the published data anyway. China dumps a lot of products here that are suppose to but actually don't meet quality specs.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
I wouldn't trust the actual China filter in hand to meet the published data anyway. China dumps a lot of products here that are suppose to but actually don't meet quality specs.

I hear ya there. I'm sure if there were specs listed they probably are all false anyway. It would be interesting to have a real certified lab test some of these type of filters to see what they actually do.

This is why I only buy good known brand name filters like Purolator, WIX, NAPA Gold, Mobil 1, etc. No weird off brands for me unless I absolutely know they are made by one of the well knowns I just listed.

The queation that hasn't been asked but I am sure thought about is who will pay for what happens when your engine eats a made in
china filter? Would a 5 person busisness pay?

Totally agree ZeeOSix.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
The queation that hasn't been asked but I am sure thought about is who will pay for what happens when your engine eats a made in
china filter? Would a 5 person busisness pay?

From what I can gather it appears some china filters have failed and probably took out some engines but no one but the end user paid. The thing about filters is they can also not completely fail but provided no filtering protection for the engine, so you a prematurely worn engine and no one is the wiser. But hey maybe you saved $20 over all the oil changes with china filters and your engine still runs OK.

USA =
thumbsup2.gif

Canada =
thumbsup2.gif

11.gif

What I find amusing is that WM seems to have started the push for mfg to be forced to China. (Forcing with thier buying power- and if you don't conform to their profit margins you'll be out of business) yet almost everyone here gets their oil and filters there...

Also EPA regulations don't help MFG in the states...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: Tempest
Quote:
When a US or Canadian compnay makes that product then I can finally go get one.

What is the difference between outsourcing to Canada and outsourcing to China?

Why don't we just go completely isolationist and shut the borders tight. That would create a lot of jobs right?

Well, for starters our cost of living is just as high as yours. And we aren't Communist?

Hey, we are also both former British colonies, fought side-by-side in two World Wars and have had trade relations for over 100 years.

You don't OUTSOURCE to Canada. You have TRADE relationships with Canada. You don't get "sweet inexpensive slave labour" sending jobs here without the ability to sell your products like you have with China. You get the ability to manufacture products in another market that they are already sold in. We've been building your bloody cars for almost as long as you've been building them there. And they aren't much cheaper!

I really find your question as a slap in the face. The only thing Canada has in common with China is that their names both start with "C".

I agree, theres huge differences with Canada vs China, first canada has been an ally and we will watch eachothers backs.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx

I would agree that any Chinese vendor/exporter/producer/etc. will cut any possible corner that they think they can possibly get away with.

I doubt there's any issues with name brand filters produced in China. The facilities are co-owned by the manufacturer and basically they (the domestic filter man) run it. It's a jobs program brokered by our nobles.

I found an interesting observation at my local Canadian Tire a couple of days ago. Motomaster, The CT house brand changed their oil filter suppliers from Fram to a Chinese brand last year. Shelves were full of the new Chinese supplied Motomaster filters. Well, a couple of days ago I see all of the China filters are gone and all of the Fram ones are back.

Hey Mainer... you've seen the Chinese "Pronto" filters VIP sells (sold?) on sale for $1.69. (I bet about their cost.) I haven't cut one open but the baseplate machining looks nice and I like the little plastic wrap cover to keep the inside from rusting from humidity. (I am not lumping "china" together as one factory.) I've used them, no rattles or obvious problems.

You want to undercut this?

What's your target customer, quick lube shops? They can already get filters for around $1.50 or so. I bet the bigger ones have heard of alibaba the wholesale importing website.

What's your sales angle on why they should switch to you? Price alone? Your LLC sounds small enough one ruined engine might do you in. I'm not being snide, just analyzing your business plan.

FWIW one can get purolator made $1.99 jobber filters at Advance auto, and, IIRC, white box wix's for about the same price elsewhere.

Haters... OP is starting his own business, not waiting for someone else to "give" him a job. Enterpreneurship = America, even if it could be replacing someone else's job. Henry Ford put a bunch of horseshoeing blacksmiths out of work...

Originally Posted By: defektes
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: Tempest
Quote:
When a US or Canadian compnay makes that product then I can finally go get one.

What is the difference between outsourcing to Canada and outsourcing to China?

Why don't we just go completely isolationist and shut the borders tight. That would create a lot of jobs right?

Well, for starters our cost of living is just as high as yours. And we aren't Communist?

Hey, we are also both former British colonies, fought side-by-side in two World Wars and have had trade relations for over 100 years.

You don't OUTSOURCE to Canada. You have TRADE relationships with Canada. You don't get "sweet inexpensive slave labour" sending jobs here without the ability to sell your products like you have with China. You get the ability to manufacture products in another market that they are already sold in. We've been building your bloody cars for almost as long as you've been building them there. And they aren't much cheaper!

I really find your question as a slap in the face. The only thing Canada has in common with China is that their names both start with "C".

I agree, theres huge differences with Canada vs China, first canada has been an ally and we will watch eachothers backs.

thumbsup2.gif

We are friends.
We are neighbors.
We play basketball, hockey, and baseball together. (and if we could get them to get rid of that 55 yardline, get a 4th down, and go to just 11 men, we could play football together.)
They build our Camaros. We build thier F-150s. They entertain and educate our children with 3/4 of the shows on Nickelodeon. We do the same for them with Disney.
We enjoy their lovely maple syrup and back bacon for our breakfasts, they enjoy our McGriddles or whatever we've chemically engineered to feed people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back