Napa Gold - Made in China

Received some Napa Gold filters, finally got some of the Chinese manufactured amongst the USA made filters. Back to name brand WIX I go.

IMG_2547.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2548.jpeg
    IMG_2548.jpeg
    161.2 KB · Views: 138
Received some Napa Gold filters, finally got some of the Chinese manufactured amongst the USA made filters. Back to name brand WIX I go.

View attachment 189436
could you show a picture of the top of the filter (the new chinese one). I've heard that Premium Guard was taking over NAPA's oil filters.. There are links on this site. But top of the filter.. does it say "leak tested"?

They are getting sneaky about it. Just saw a Kershaw knife advertised for $25.98, normally $91.99. Hmmm. Found the following under description:
Country of Origin USA: Design, Prototype, Quality Control. China: Manufacture.

I expect more and more attempts will be made to obscure the real country of origin as more and more people try and avoid China produced products whenever possible.

Distasteful I agree, but the quality is probably identical...if not better. For the most part, offshore manufacturing quality is more about the company than the country.
View attachment 189459View attachment 189460
Like when Flowmaster exhaust got bought and then moved manufacturering to China...the quality actually improved (at least with individual mufflers, i have no idea about the systems)

ulThey are getting sneaky about it. Just saw a Kershaw knife advertised for $25.98, normally $91.99. Hmmm. Found the following under description:
Country of Origin USA: Design, Prototype, Quality Control. China: Manufacture.
Hmmmm...that is pushing the country of origin claim a bit. I'd be willing to wager that their use of this description doesn't last that long.

When I'm not playing w/ cars or on BITOG,..one of my roles is a Compliance Officer and I live in this space and have a couple scars...our friends at the FTC and DoJ take this stuff seriously. And they should.

Last edited:
could you show a picture of the top of the filter (the new chinese one). I've heard that Premium Guard was taking over NAPA's oil filters.. There are links on this site. But top of the filter.. does it say "leak tested"?

My recent Napa Gold oil filter purchase says that.

It sounds like Napa was dissatisfied with the Purolator cheapening, so Mann lost the contract...
Possible I suppose, but I can't reach that conclusion based on topic post alone. As noted, M&H makes filters in China, some under the Mann name, so could still be an M&H filter. Based on that, not enough information for me to make the conclusion leap.

But interesting to see what the offshored filter looks like inside.

I've seen the NAPA "Proformer" filters are made by Premium Guard, either China or Vietnam-maybe the Golds are the "XL" version? As usual, I'm sure the price DIDN'T DROP when the stealth cheapening move was made... As I've stated elsewhere, apparently Mann has had trouble building enough stock for NAPA, that's why they seem to be on their way out.

Back