Made in China oil filters.. why all the hate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see why they wouldn't. Call them up and ask.

Why do you find it so hard to believe that manufacturers purchase product from each other?

Next time we run some F56117's. I'll try to get you a picture. But you probably still won't believe it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Johnny248
Right. I'm not sure how that Wix/Napa program works. Back in the day you had a Napa Gold which was a premium Wix, and a Napa Silver which was less expensive, did not have a silicone adbv etc. Then they switched from Silver to Pro Selected, which they seemed like they were still Wix filters, and had the normal Afina Gastonia, NC deal on them but noticed that they started to have other countries of origin on them. I don't think that Wix sells their economy filters under their own product line?

The NAPA Golds are in fact re-badged Wix filters. Any other NAPA filter is not a Wix filter. It is a filter, manufactured to NAPA specs. Wix does not have a Wix branded "economy" filter.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog

We saw that with Zastava/Yugo. Malcolm Bricklin went into Yugoslavia and set up some basic quality control. The initial Yugo GVs weren't that bad for being an out of date Fiat made with Eastern European materials. But then the West started to consume them in great numbers. (something like 1500 of them were sold in one day) There was no incentive for the factory workers to work harder, longer, and with any consistancy, No bonuses. No overtime. The quality slipped and you've got hundreds of Yugo jokes.

I just read Jason Vuic's excellent book about the Yugo. The problem was that since Yugoslavia was a communist economy, they weren't allowed to pay for overtime or bonuses for productive employees. That just wasn't their way of doing things. Quality wasn't any worse towards the end than on day #1. Yugo in America failed because Bricklin ran the company to the ground by shoveling as much money into his own pockets as he could and dumping the rest on trying to develop a US-spec Mitsubishi knockoff in Malaysia.

The problem with Chinese products seems to be this: Building quality products isn't cheap, even if you build them in China. Skilled employees like to get paid, and QC costs money. But if you want to build cheap junk, you can get a some really CHEAP junk made over there.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
One problem with stuff made in China is that China will make any quality you specify if you monitor and control the process for the whole production run. A big part of the problem is the purchase specification. If you specify just, you will get it.

One good example is Apple. All their products are made in China, but designed in California.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Bebop
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
One problem with stuff made in China is that China will make any quality you specify if you monitor and control the process for the whole production run. A big part of the problem is the purchase specification. If you specify just, you will get it.

One good example is Apple. All their products are made in China, but designed in California.
smile.gif

Actually Apple has one of the worst reputations for the quality and durability of their hardware in the business...many of their products look really good but have a cheap and nasty feel to them..very fragile like they are going to break after the first few uses....

Apple is way over rated...but the elite like them so they must be good..right?
sick.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back