C&P 2 new CarQuest 84356 1 Made in China 1 made in Vietnam.

Bought these for my Honda Odyssey with some speed bucks I had at the Advance Auto when I got them noticed one was made in China. The other one was made in Vietnam so I just cut them open to see what the differences were. The one with the darker media and orange gasket is the one made in Vietnam, the black gasket, and the lighter media is the China made one. They both had coil Springs in the bottom for the drain back valve. The Vietnam one had some excess glue around the media the China one did not but very few differences other than the way they look.

Attachments

• IMG_2732.jpeg
    IMG_2732.jpeg
    119.5 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_2733.jpeg
    IMG_2733.jpeg
    130.9 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_2743.jpeg
    IMG_2743.jpeg
    96.6 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_2744.jpeg
    IMG_2744.jpeg
    141.8 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_2736.jpeg
    IMG_2736.jpeg
    114.8 KB · Views: 160
Bought these for my Honda Odyssey with some speed bucks I had at the Advance Auto when I got them noticed one was made in China. The other one was made in Vietnam so I just cut them open to see what the differences were. The one with the darker media and orange gasket is the one made in Vietnam, the black gasket, and the lighter media is the China made one. They both had coil Springs in the bottom for the drain back valve. The Vietnam one had some excess glue around the media the China one did not but very few differences other than the way they look.
Thanks for sharing the photos and information. Great job!

They both had coil Springs in the bottom for the drain back valve.
That spring is to keep all the guts tight together, like a leaf spring style spring does in the dome end of the filter.

Interesting indeed - thanks.

Just me or is the angle of pictures responsible for making me think there is a difference in the shapes of the ADBVs?

Nope - huge difference if you blow them up

Last edited:
That spring is to keep all the guts tight together, like a leaf spring style spring does in the dome end of the filter.
Ok yea when I did cut them open the filter media part popped out of both

The company that makes these has stated they have minimum of two sources to manufacture any one filter. I'm sure there are different reasons why they would go to one or the other back & forth. Probably cost is a big factor too. I just wish we knew more about the media differences in this example though. Excellent post!

The company that makes these has stated they have minimum of two sources to manufacture any one filter. I'm sure there are different reasons why they would go to one or the other back & forth. Probably cost is a big factor too. I just wish we knew more about the media differences in this example though. Excellent post!
I cut open a CarQuest spec fora 5.0 eco boost today at work. Used for 8k

Made in China; dunnno who made it. Held up great. Didn’t take pics

The difference in the base plate holes will make no difference, even if their total area is slightly different. PD oil pump, and minimal dP difference at full oil flow volume.

The difference in the base plate holes will make no difference, even if their total area is slightly different. PD oil pump, and minimal dP difference at full oil flow volume.
I was curios because any difference means there stamped from a different die spec. So technically there not making them identically. It means little functionally, but it does mean they have 2 separate sets of BOM, etc depending on country of origin. From a manufacturing perspective - there different parts.

I was curios because any difference means there stamped from a different die spec. So technically there not making them identically. It means little functionally, but it does mean they have 2 separate sets of BOM, etc depending on country of origin. From a manufacturing perspective - there different parts.
Of course they are different parts physically, and if there are drawings they would show that. I was just saying the difference will not make any difference in functionality ... they only look physically different. The "form" isn't the same, but the "fit" and "function" basically are if looked at in a "configuration control" perspective.

Of course they are different parts physically, and if there are drawings they would show that. I was just saying the difference will not make any difference in functionality ... they only look physically different. The "form" isn't the same, but the "fit" and "function" basically are if looked at in a "configuration control" perspective.
I find it interesting because I have customers that build the identical part in multiple factories around the globe, and they truly are identical, because in the end its cheaper and easier to maintain QC - everything is the same. Also redundant - if the contract stamping house in Thailand can't keep up, maybe the one in China can ship some parts, etc.

Oil filter manufacturing processes seem a little, shall we say, looser. :LOL:

I find it interesting because I have customers that build the identical part in multiple factories around the globe, and they truly are identical, because in the end its cheaper and easier to maintain QC - everything is the same. Also redundant - if the contract stamping house in Thailand can't keep up, maybe the one in China can ship some parts, etc.

You bring up an excellent point to have a need for ISO efficiency data for each filter. The same filter number but built two seemingly different ways. What's the efficiency of this model number?... Depends on where the filters made. LOL

You bring up an excellent point to have a need for ISO efficiency data for each filter. The same filter number but built two seemingly different ways. What's the efficiency of this model number? Depends on where the filters made. LOL
Physical IOS efficiency testing is big 🤑🤑 ... even if the design dept buys the ISO equipment and makes their own test lab, like Fram and others, it's a huge capital investment $$$ cost. Best way to do it for not so big companies is with verified computer modeling based on ISO test data of a few filters across the model line ran on the test machinery.

Let's just say that some of these filter makers probably don't really know what "configuration control & management" is. I lived it for many years on a big military program.

It seems to be fairly common with oil filters. I'm losing track of how many times FRAM made changes to the Ultra without changing the part number or even the box that advertised the construction method of the filter. You can see the same thing with WIX... we have seen Purolator designs and even the OE Kia/Hyundai design painted black with a WIX label on them.

The company that makes these has stated they have minimum of two sources to manufacture any one filter. I'm sure there are different reasons why they would go to one or the other back & forth.
I'm fairly certain it is all about supply chain management. A certain respiratory disease that appeared at the end of 2019 and natural disasters have taught us that relying on a single source for products can be problematic and lead to shortages when things go wrong.

I'm fairly certain it is all about supply chain management. A certain respiratory disease that appeared at the end of 2019 and natural disasters have taught us that relying on a single source for products can be problematic and lead to shortages when things go wrong.
Of course they need to have reliable production when required.

Back