Carquest Premium Filters

Yes, exactly, Premium Guard (which is Interfil) is a reseller of (predominantly?) offshore whitebox products, with contracts with manufacturing facilities in various parts of Asia.

It's a bit like buying a store brand of something, except that in this case, the store brand is a re-brand of the reseller's product, who also distributes that same product under their own name, so there's another "layer" so to speak.

They could be made like this for all we know, lol

These ones even have the bright red ADBV:

Looks like a place where Fram and Bosch would be made. 😆

I suspect Pentius is using the same sources as PG they are dead ringers for each other. At least the extended filters are, although the claimed efficiencies are not quite the same.
Yes, and who knows how accurate those figures are in the first place, given they are outsourced, and who is going to check? I'm certainly not going to pony up the money to have Ascent test them.

Lube oil filters are essentially a commodity now; they are bought/sold/traded all willy-nilly. Most of the big companies are outsourcing to get a lower price-point, just to compete. It's getting to a point where I expect each company will only set a one-year contract with some brand X "maker" of filters, and then shop a RFQ again the very next year, to find the better bargain for their balance sheet.

It's really sad for us who actually pay attention to what's inside the filter, not what's on the printed box.

For a long time, I was not a fan of cartridge filters; they are a tad more messy and time consuming to change. But, at least with a cartridge filter, you can SEE THE FILTER in its naked form PRIOR to installing it; that means a lot these days. My new Lexus ES350 is my first car with a cartridge filter, and I'm beginning to appreciate it more every day in regards to O&FCIs.

Back