Looking At A Chevrolet Trax

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: sciphi
Originally Posted By: c502cid
Not a bad little Sonic hatch on stilts. The 1.4T will feel underpowered in that application.

Good assumption but I assure you it is not. The A/T is amazing in shift points and feel. It climbs Eisenhower and Vail Pass at 75 all day long. Can merge onto I-25 or I-70 with no problems like most cars can now a-days.

I have the same engine under the hood of my Cruze. It's a nice little engine, just a bit of a slug at times. Like getting off the line during the summertime with the A/C on, and when there's a stiff headwind. 87 octane fuel doesn't help matters much. I run premium in the summer which helps a lot with the gutlessness caused by the A/C and warm temperatures.

GM has improved the shift programming of the automatic. When I bought my 1.4T/manual transmission Cruze in 2011, the AT was a mess. It would needlessly redline the engine, which put it out of its powerband. Around town it couldn't decide what gear it wanted to be in. The 2014 Cruze rental I had for a few days was much better behaved, and likely by 2017 it's been refined more.

I wonder what drive gears are in your Cruze vs the Trax. I've never once thought the Trax was under powered but then again, I live at altitude where turbos like to play. Don't get me wrong, its not a torque motor, but never once I've felt the need for more.

Not a bad little Sonic hatch on stilts. The 1.4T will feel underpowered in that application.

Good assumption but I assure you it is not. The A/T is amazing in shift points and feel. It climbs Eisenhower and Vail Pass at 75 all day long. Can merge onto I-25 or I-70 with no problems like most cars can now a-days.

I have the same engine under the hood of my Cruze. It's a nice little engine, just a bit of a slug at times. Like getting off the line during the summertime with the A/C on, and when there's a stiff headwind. 87 octane fuel doesn't help matters much. I run premium in the summer which helps a lot with the gutlessness caused by the A/C and warm temperatures.

GM has improved the shift programming of the automatic. When I bought my 1.4T/manual transmission Cruze in 2011, the AT was a mess. It would needlessly redline the engine, which put it out of its powerband. Around town it couldn't decide what gear it wanted to be in. The 2014 Cruze rental I had for a few days was much better behaved, and likely by 2017 it's been refined more.

I wonder what drive gears are in your Cruze vs the Trax. I've never once thought the Trax was under powered but then again, I live at altitude where turbos like to play. Don't get me wrong, its not a torque motor, but never once I've felt the need for more.

Mine's also a manual, which doesn't do the engine any favors. The automatic can always unlock the torque converter. Plus the auto can keep the turbo spooled in between gears for more consistent power.

At 75 mph in either car this engine is bouncing in and out of boost. That's 2300 RPM in my car, which is well past the 1800 RPM point where the turbo fully spools up. It should feel just fine in top gear at that speed. Lower speeds like 50 mph will need a shift out of top gear to get the RPM's past 1800.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Looks like a slightly bigger Pontiac Vibe.

Interior and exterior dimensions are almost exactly the same, but the Chevy is a little taller.

A friend of mine test drove a Trax, with his wife and two daughters, from Denver to Western Colorado and back. I had never heard of the vehicle before, so I looked it up and compared it to my Vibe. They were looking to replace a minivan, and decided the Trax was too small.

Originally Posted By: Rhymingmechanic
... They were looking to replace a minivan, and decided the Trax was too small.

Ya think? (I'm kidding!)

You do see a lot of Trax/Encore, etc.. on the roads today. Folks like to be up higher and the price is right on them I guess. 4 passengers and all their gear is a no go with them for sure. Lift the hatch and look at the 'trunk space'. There is none.

Originally Posted By: Red91
Why shouldn't I? Do you know something I don't?

I assure you he doesn't, that is our resident GM basher. Enjoy your new car, the Trax is a nice choice.

The 2013 and 2014 models have much less complaints compared to the 2015 and 2016 ones. Which is different, usually the newer models have less issues, not more.

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Chevrolet/Trax/

The Cruze is built in Ohio while this thing is assembled in S. Korea, fyi. I'd rather have something built here.

Why shouldn't I? Do you know something I don't?
Limited cargo area, awful resale value, hideous looks, GM build quality...etc etc

I just recently leased a 2015 Silverado All-Star Edition and it was one thing after another. Blown speaker, radio that wouldn't work if you remote started truck, rattles galore, awful transmission performance, screws that worked themselves loose numerous times, seatbelts that wouldn't retract or release as they should, etc etc

We couldn't come together on a deal, so no Trax.
01.gif

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Are these by change re-badged Hyundai Santa Fe's?

From Wikipedia:

Quote:
The Chevrolet Trax is a subcompact crossover SUV manufactured by Chevrolet since 2013. The car is based on the GM Gamma II platform, which is shared with the Chevrolet Aveo/Sonic, as well as the Opel Mokka/Buick Encore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back