“Cheap” Cars Still Exist: 2024 Buick Envista

This particular vehicle is a rebadged Daewoo, which doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in reliability either. But if it can be bought cheap enough, and you like it, and only intend to keep to for 100K miles then I don't see a problem here. You would still be better off with a Made in USA Corolla, except that doesn't have a hatchback.

Daewoo Motors hasn't existed in over two decades.

True, but their factories and the POS vehicles they produce still exist.
These vehicles were so bad that they were the downfall of Suzuki in North America. I strongly suspect that their new vehicles aren't any better.

I guess you could suspect that if they still made any.

I guess you could suspect that if they still made any.
I thought when GM took over Daewoo they renamed it GM Korea. Not sure what brands they make for that market but Daewoo hasn’t been around for a while. My friend had one of the smallest ones when they were sold over here and it was a pile of junk.

To whomever said one should buy a Corolla instead of this, forget it. Those things are not good for anyone over 6 feet fall. I literally cannot sit up straight in one. America has proven there is a market for normal size cars, which is why crossovers sell in such big numbers.

Renamed GM Korea, but otherwise still the same

In 2001, General Motors bought most of Daewoo Motor's assets to form "GM Daewoo Auto & Technology".

And since 2011 it's been called GM Korea. Any way you slice it, it's a GM vehicle. Just because GM bought Daewoo's assets 21 years ago doesn't make it a Daewoo.

Yeah I don't really get GM's little turbo motor SUV's and their poor mileage and utility... A base Forester is $26.5k with nearly double the cargo space, 29mpg combined even with AWD....
I guess some people don't need a vehicle with utility, and some chrome and a badge is worth paying more for?
You could say the same thing of CrossTrek vs Forester.

The common thread of those two Subarus is ugly styling in/out. I like Outback btw.

Cars last longer now than ever before and the average age of vehicles on the road continues to climb.

There are very few "unreliable" cars IMO.

No reason to think the Buick wouldn't last as long as you want it to.
Today's new cars are super reliable. But the problem is that they become too expensive to repair, even though they're in relatively good condition overall.

Scott

True, but their factories and the POS vehicles they produce still exist.
These vehicles were so bad that they were the downfall of Suzuki in North America. I strongly suspect that their new vehicles aren't any better.
I think the biggest problem they had was they were cheap so people treated them as such and ran them into the ground. There's still quite a few Daewoo Leganza's And Chevy Aveo's (Daewoo Kalos) Running around in my parts. One of my friends is still rocking his early 2000's Aveo from high school 13+ years later

To whomever said one should buy a Corolla instead of this, forget it. Those things are not good for anyone over 6 feet fall. I literally cannot sit up straight in one. America has proven there is a market for normal size cars, which is why crossovers sell in such big numbers.
+2

I have ranted on here about the low roofline and squinty windows of both the Corolla and Camry here many times.

And since 2011 it's been called GM Korea. Any way you slice it, it's a GM vehicle. Just because GM bought Daewoo's assets 21 years ago doesn't make it a Daewoo.
You could say it the other way around... just because GM bought their assets doesn't make the vehicles they build not Daewoos. Different name but same country, same factories, same assembly lines, same employees, and the same lack of quality. I have never seen anything that came from them, regardless of corporate owner, that has any semblance of quality. What's the matter dishdude? Do you own one?
Like I said before, it was products coming out of there, sold with Suzuki names on them, that sunk Suzuki in North America. Suzuki's own Japanese built vehicles were (and still are) very good.
We don't even know if they are actually being produced by GM Korea. Like I also said before, when I Googled this several sources said that it is being manufactured in China.

You could say it the other way around... just because GM bought their assets doesn't make the vehicles they build not Daewoos. Different name but same country, same factories, same assembly lines, same employees, and the same lack of quality. I have never seen anything that came from them, regardless of corporate owner, that has any semblance of quality. What's the matter dishdude? Do you own one?
Like I said before, it was products coming out of there, sold with Suzuki names on them, that sunk Suzuki in North America. Suzuki's own Japanese built vehicles were (and still are) very good.
We don't even know if they are actually being produced by GM Korea. Like I also said before, when I Googled this several sources said that it is being manufactured in China.

I don't have a dog in this fight, simply countering all the FUD in this thread.

According to the window sticker engine and transmissions are made in Mexico, so at least that part of the vehicle is probably more GM than Daewoo.
Where did the window sticker say that the vehicle is assembled? I'm still curious as to whether it is assembled in S. Korea or China.

Back