Lifted truck handling

Status
Not open for further replies.
My '87 K5 blazer actually drove/ handled better after a 4" full spring Superlift, 1 ton axle swap and Lt35x12.5-16 Interco Super Swamper radials. Even with leaving the sway bar off.
I usally kept it under 75 mph since highway speeds opened up an unfound dump valve in the fuel tank. 😁

my tundra has rack and pinion steering. I suspect the T100 is the same. they have a common architecture mostly.

the mount bushings for the rack could be tired. that introduces steering slop. All of your rubber suspension bushings by now are worn. at 100k when I bought mine I was surprised how dried they'd become.

wheels spacers are likely making your steering worse - as the wheels are turning in an arc instead of pivoting underneath. any bump at speed will cause minor steering deflection.

That, with loose bushings, reduces your ability to control steering.

If it were me, I'd reduce the lift some. I'd ditch the spacers, and look at new bushings for the steering rack. I would also inspect the steering joints since that rack has been under stress with the lift it has now.

I have stock rear height and a mild 1" increase in the front. 65 is comfortable but it gets busy above that. I'm running 32" tires like you, 1" more than stock.

T100s are great trucks. they are not overburdened with too much tech.

I'm not sure of your engine, but some of that era of v6s would burn exhaust valves. I'd look into checking the valve clearances. Other than that they just go and go.

-M

Originally Posted By: meep
my tundra has rack and pinion steering. I suspect the T100 is the same. they have a common architecture mostly.

the mount bushings for the rack could be tired. that introduces steering slop. All of your rubber suspension bushings by now are worn. at 100k when I bought mine I was surprised how dried they'd become.

wheels spacers are likely making your steering worse - as the wheels are turning in an arc instead of pivoting underneath. any bump at speed will cause minor steering deflection.

That, with loose bushings, reduces your ability to control steering.

If it were me, I'd reduce the lift some. I'd ditch the spacers, and look at new bushings for the steering rack. I would also inspect the steering joints since that rack has been under stress with the lift it has now.

I have stock rear height and a mild 1" increase in the front. 65 is comfortable but it gets busy above that. I'm running 32" tires like you, 1" more than stock.

T100s are great trucks. they are not overburdened with too much tech.

I'm not sure of your engine, but some of that era of v6s would burn exhaust valves. I'd look into checking the valve clearances. Other than that they just go and go.

-M

Go and look at the pictures he posted, then tell us he has rack and pinion steering. If you don't know what you're looking at, then you aren't helping with incorrect advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back