Car Towed while still in Park. Damage?

Early this morning, I saw a hapless Toyota Camry being towed away for parking violation. The tow truck lifted the car from the rear of the car, pulled it out of the parking space 15 ft, dropped it, then circled around to tow and lift it from the front wheels.

I’m wondering what happens to the driveline when it is forcibly moved while in Park. I have no idea how an automatic would respond to this. Internet search wasn’t clear on the specifics. It was an early 2000s Camry.

You hear of this more and more now given all the vehicles that no longer have a physical cable connection between gear selector and transmission. Some vehicles have a manual disconnect and some like my 2022 Nissan Frontier do not. If it's totally dead, you're dragging it on a flatbed or dropping it on dollies.

Yeah, coming from a background of 'wheeling and having it always drilled into me you never winch against the park pawl, this makes me uneasy.

Doesn’t it happen ALL THE TIME?

Just look on YouTube. There will be vlogs where a car is parked as close to a garage as possible, and then their other car kissing the bumper. A wrecker can go in with a wheel lift and remove it anyway.

Does anyone seriously expect their car, or anyone’s, to be towed gracefully, other than with a breakdown?

The rear end or final drive gear set, becomes a step up ratio that the output from the transmission sees when being towed or coasted.
The parking pawl has the gear ratio advantage. I can't see it being affected much at all.

Doesn’t it happen ALL THE TIME?

Just look on YouTube. There will be vlogs where a car is parked as close to a garage as possible, and then their other car kissing the bumper. A wrecker can go in with a wheel lift and remove it anyway.

Does anyone seriously expect their car, or anyone’s, to be towed gracefully, other than with a breakdown?
They do a respectable job as tow driver is responsible for any and all damage despite where a vehicle parked.

Probably a repo, so it’s the lender/next owner’s problem. Unlikely damage with such a short distance.

That tiny tooth it's all that's holding the vehicle in park:

Which is a hardened steel gear and against another hardened steel tooth. If it can hold the full weight of a vehicle on a hill(because we know people don't use their parking brakes) dragging it against tires won't hurt it.

Interesting that the municipality is willing to open themselves to a potential damage claim for an impound fee and summons.

Back