Lifetime warranty not much use to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: PimTac

I have actually had good luck with Taiwanese made tools. Of course my use is household and light duty. For professional use there are other go to brands like Snap On etc.

I have a couple of Triangle brand sets that were sold by Sears and blown out for next to nothing some years ago. Triangle was a Taiwan brand that were German design and met DIN standards.
Good tools, the only problem is they went out of business and no replacement parts are available, shame they could have been a real competitor if marketed them properly.

Japanese and German companies have invested heavily in steel foundries in Taiwan. Nippon, Krupp and others produce high quality tool steel there so its little surprise they make some quality tools. I have no problem with Made in Taiwan.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: jkasch
Any Harbor Freights in England? Their breaker bar is dirt cheap and nearly indestructible.
I broke a nearly indestructible Snapon 24" breaker bar at work ! Harbor fright won't stand up to hard use.Home use isn't hard though.

But if you are breaking a 1/2" breaker bar (Snap-On, HF or otherwise) you should be using a 3/4" one. I picked up a 3/4" drive bar and some sockets at HF a while back and they come in handy once in a while. I don't feel like it's going to snap even with a long cheater on the end.
When we are out in the field we do what ever it takes to get the job done. some of the stuff seems to be rusted into solid hunk of metal.

I picked up some wrenches and sockets from NAPA recently. Their Carlyle brand. Made in Taiwan. Very nice. Not cheap but not Snap On expensive. Probably not as good as Snap On either.

Originally Posted By: Claud
James Niell, Britool, British tools standing comparison with the best in the World, Stahlwille and Facom are European brands also of the highest quality.

How is 'Facom' pronounced in England? I heard a guy on YouTube pronounce it as FAY-COM.

Originally Posted By: das_peikko
Originally Posted By: Claud
James Niell, Britool, British tools standing comparison with the best in the World, Stahlwille and Facom are European brands also of the highest quality.

How is 'Facom' pronounced in England? I heard a guy on YouTube pronounce it as FAY-COM.

It varies based on regional accent, some say Fay-Com and some say Fack-Om. Probably similar to the difference between someone from New Orleans and someone from Maine pronouncing the same word.

Generally FAY-COM is the British way to pronounce it. Although with our bewildering variety of local accents FACK-OM will also be used.
The local Snap-On agent pronounces it something rhyming with DUCK-THEM btw.
shocked.gif

Claud.

Facom is also a Stanley owned brand, I wonder why Stanley a US based company let their own name go to Hades in a hand basket in their own market with rubbish tools when they have some very good quality tools in other countries?

If you buy a Stanley tool with a lifetime warranty, it only covers manufacturers defects. If it wears out from use, you are out of luck. Read the warranty on their website. And you are responsible for sending it back for their inspection. Good luck with them approving the return. And most of their tools have this clause in it, even the Craftsman brand they now own. They put a notice on their website explaining the continued Craftsman warranty guarantee and still put that wear and tear from normal use is not covered. And again you have to return it back to them or convince Ace Hardware to take it back. Lowe's next year will be carrying Craftsman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back