Matco 1/2" ratchet: rubber vs metal handle

I just broke my 24" 1/2" Matco ratchet, it was all metal. Trying to undo a wheel bearing 36mm nut. I had a strong feeling it would break but had no access to a bigger breaker bar.
So now I am shopping for new tools.

Trying to decide on a 30" to 36" breaker bar, either Matco or SK. Maybe a used snap-on.

Same for the ratchet, looking at the following, 24".
They have both soft rubber handles and all metal design, which I prefer. But I wonder if I should try the soft handle for a change. Does it allow for a better grip? It just seems like it would last for decades like an all metal ratchet would.
Matco Tools CFR248LF

When I have a choice I opt for soft grip handles on my ratchets. I’ve not tried the ratchets with handles that are hard (I think Snap-on has that option). I do have ratchets without soft grip or any additional handle that are fine but I tend to reach for the soft grip first.

As for the breaker, I recently was defeated by way-overtorqued lug nuts on a Dodge Grand Caravan (one of many “repairs” I was undoing done by the last hack “mechanic”) and chose a 3/4” breaker bar. Way bigger than my 1/2” in length and girth. Not much can defeat that in the kind of work I do (no heavy trucks or machinery). I use an impact 3/4” to 1/2” adapter.

I would think that the longevity of the rubber/silicone handle inserts would be the deciding factor.
Nobody'd go near them if they peeled apart in a year.

From my observations, many of the "rubber handled" ratchets are larger to the point of being derfy. A slender, smoother tool might be what you need more.

Extra grip is something I never thought of. I had a pair of sunglasses which were coated with what I believe was as silicone. Those babies were not effected by sweat. The sunglasses stayed put even on the hottest, sweatiest days.
If the "rubber" helps with greasy grip, they could ease your work as you wouldn't need to grip the tool so hard.

Ha-ha...live it up....get both!

I don’t like the soft grips for ratchets personally. Harder to keep clean, if you think they’re clean and grab with bare hands you’re most likely going to be unpleasantly surprised that it wasn’t clean. Sometimes the grips wear / little chunks come off. And it’s harder to put a pipe or wrench on a soft grip to give yourself more leverage.

The SK 3/4" drive 36" length breaker bar (SK 47157) is a good one. Harry Epstein Co had some in stock recently. But really any 3/4" drive breaker bar should be pretty solid.

As for the long 1/2" drive ratchet -- if Matco will not provide a rebuild kit or replacement for yours -- I would recommend the Snap-on SLF80A. They are kind of pricey, but they hold up. Its one of the Snap-on ratchets that I find worth the money. Used would be ok too to save a few $$, as Snap-on sells the rebuild kit for the ratchet and the flex joint.

Last edited:
Reactions: D60
The SK 3/4" drive 36" length breaker bar (SK 47157) is a good one. Harry Epstein Co had some in stock recently. But really any 3/4" drive breaker bar should be pretty solid.

As for the long 1/2" drive ratchet -- if Matco will not provide a rebuild kit or replacement for yours -- I would recommend the Snap-on SLF80A. They are kind of pricey, but they hold up. Its one of the Snap-on ratchets that I find worth the money. Used would be ok too to save a few $$, as Snap-on sells the rebuild kit for the ratchet and the flex joint.
Plus the SLF80As can -- or could a couple years ago when I was shopping-- be found on ebay reasonably priced. If used, look closely at pics, seller's description and seller's FB.

As to the original question for OP re:handles, for some reason in 1/2" drive I prefer all metal. However in 3/8" (which I use most) I prefer the longer ratchets to be soft handle and the shorter to be metal. I think it's because I'm often applying more force to the longer units. And soft handles on shorter ratchets just make them seem too bulky somehow.

At the end of the day....if you have to ask it probably doesn't matter much. Also Matco stuff sometimes goes really cheap on ebay given they don't have the SnapOn cache. They're kind of Arby's while McDonald's is SnapOn.....

I've also been seeing a lot of Matco and Cornwell on FB MP around me. I think the wonders of Bidenomics are encouraging people to scrounge cash.

I'm just a home gamer but I've kept my stuff all-metal. I know I can always get those back to 'factory clean' with brake cleaner on a shop towel. I don't use cheater bars often at all, but those will fit better over an all-metal handle and won't gouge it up.

I just picked up a soft handle 1/2 drive 16". While not an expensive unit, its light years better than the old 12" hard handle it replaces. Like the feel and balance. Should have bought it years ago.

Mac & Matco doesn't seem to be what it used to be. Either go cheap like Gearwrench or go all out for Snap On. Mechanic humor, MAC = Made Around China, MATCO= Mostly A Taiwanese CO.

Reactions: D60
I just broke my 24" 1/2" Matco ratchet, it was all metal. Trying to undo a wheel bearing 36mm nut. I had a strong feeling it would break but had no access to a bigger breaker bar.
So now I am shopping for new tools.

Trying to decide on a 30" to 36" breaker bar, either Matco or SK. Maybe a used snap-on.

Same for the ratchet, looking at the following, 24".
They have both soft rubber handles and all metal design, which I prefer. But I wonder if I should try the soft handle for a change. Does it allow for a better grip? It just seems like it would last for decades like an all metal ratchet would.
Matco Tools CFR248LF

Looks like I'm the first one to mention this, but have you considered Harbor Freight for a breaker bar? Breaker bars are not exactly precision instruments, so all they really need to do is be strong and not break. There is evidence that the strength of their breaker bars stands up to even top-tier brands like Matco and Snap-on.

Back