Harbor Freight... American Made, Lifetime Warranty

I just picked these wire strippers up at Harbor Freight this morning. 100% American made with a lifetime warranty. All but identical to the same Snap-On model selling for $72.00.

These are just $19.99. Over 3-1/2 times less for the same identical product. I wouldn't doubt they're made in the same plant and just badged differently.

1711037515399.jpeg

I just picked these wire strippers up at Harbor Freight this morning. 100% American made with a lifetime warranty. All but identical to the same Snap-On model selling for $72.00.

These are just $19.99. Over 3-1/2 times less for the same identical product. I wouldn't doubt they're made in the same plant and just badged differently.

View attachment 209513
So I am NOT making excuses for SnapOn but in the interest of accuracy, even HF says to compare to PWCHHD7 which is presently $61 on the website and IME/with my driver it would be the same price (ie no shipping cost)

Still a great find and I applaud you but as a member of Team Reality I like accurate data/numbers.

I'll likely order the Icon, thank you!

HF has made a smart move by expanding their product range and covering the different segments with more offerings.

Those who want the cheap, disposable tools can still get them, but those looking for better quality are now more likely to find something suitable at the HF store.

The demise of Sears, and the sale/dilution of the Craftsman brand left a void that no other single brand has been able to fill.

As for COO mgiht mean, here is a trailer:

What does 100% American made mean? You think every component on there was made in America? I doubt it. Doesn't mean it's any lower quality but that situation is pretty rare.
If they follow the rules - and some don't - there pretty specific in order to be able to claim American Made. Its a FTC rule and "All or Virtually All" of the labor and materials are from the USA.

This notion that you can put the last screw in and call it made in USA is not true - if they follow the rules.

I've got an example of where Made in USA might not mean what you think it does...

I recently read about a boot company that used to have a factory in Ohio (Rocky boot co.). They closed it down and relocated the factory to Puerto Rico, but are still allowed to stick Made in USA labels on them (and charge a premium price compared to the vast majority of their footwear that isn't "Made in the USA").

I'm not saying this is the case with these tools, but it could be. Finding out where a factory actually is isn't exactly easy. Especially on generic stuff like this.

I've got an example of where Made in USA might not mean what you think it does...

I recently read about a boot company that used to have a factory in Ohio (Rocky boot co.). They closed it down and relocated the factory to Puerto Rico, but are still allowed to stick Made in USA labels on them (and charge a premium price compared to the vast majority of their footwear that isn't "Made in the USA").

I'm not saying this is the case with these tools, but it could be. Finding out where a factory actually is isn't exactly easy. Especially on generic stuff like this.
Has Puerto Rico ceased to be part of the United States of America? :unsure:

Well, I'm going to go way out on a limb here and say it means it was made here.

I really can't think of anything else it could mean.
I work in manufacturing. These labels have rules associated with them but never assume anything is absolute. It likely means either final assembly happens here (with components from anywhere) or a certain percent of components were manufactured here (with raw materials from anywhere).

We use a Country of Origin marking on our products. This is simply determined by what component of the final assembly has the greatest value. Not where it was final assembled.

Reactions: D60
Has Puerto Rico ceased to be part of the United States of America? :unsure:

Sure, they are "PART" of the United States of America, but I doubt many people consider them to be "IN" the United States of America.

In my mind, if they are going to shut down a factory in the actual USA (where people have the right to vote and are represented in congress) and move the manufacturing to Puerto Rico (where taxes and labor are much cheaper), there should be a large astrix on the label.

Last edited:
I'm not trying to argue that being, "Made In America" is that important. Today it really doesn't matter with us, (and most every other country), operating in a global economy.

The fact is, that pair of wire strippers is as, "Made In America" as much or more as any other product that carries the same label on the package. Including Fords that are assembled in Mexico, or Toyota's that are built in San Antonio. Or Hondas in Marysville, Ohio.

It all quickly becomes a pointless argument. Perhaps when Harbor Freight started out in 1977, it may have had some merit. Back then Sears owned Craftsman, and their tools were all made here, and had a high degree of quality with an impeccable warranty that reflected that. But not today.

Just look under the hood of most any American car and try to find something that says, "Made In Detroit". Just a couple years ago they had lots full of Ford trucks they couldn't sell, because they couldn't get electronic parts for them from China.

My point in posting this, is most any time you mention Harbor Freight, you have to put in ear plugs to drown out people screaming how it's all cheap crap that's made in China.

Today it's no longer true, and that argument has become all but meaningless. Proof of that is that Snap-On sells what is pretty much the exact same product for over 3 times as much.

While I agree that protecting the American economy is important. It's not as important as protecting my own. And that doesn't mean I'm hurting it by shopping at Harbor Freight, anymore than when I was shopping for my new Toyota.

Most likely far less, because Harbor Freight is an American built, and an American owned company...... And always has been. You can't say the same for Toyota.

I know of several items made in China and only a small part that is actually made and stamped USA adorns it.
Nowhere is made in China stamped on the rest of the parts. Many items are like this and made to deceive.

I wonder who is making that for Harbor Freight. I know they are selling a few prybars made by Mayhew, which are also made in USA. Also I believe 1 of their sets of snap ring pliers is made by Lang.

I have the Snap-on one and I will pick one of these up to compare as soon as they have a coupon.

Last edited:
Back