VIM Tools warranty disappointment

D60

I have this VIM roto head ratchet. Granted, it's kind of an oddball but not that old -- ordered new from Amazon November '22
20240321_115615.jpg

The ratchet mechanism has locked up. It's basically completely seized. Somewhere in there something else went awry because pushing the QR button does not release the socket (had to pry socket off anvil).

I went to VIM's website and started their process for a warranty claim, which includes paying $9.95 up front for shipping & processing. They do say if they can't fulfill your request, you get your $9.95 back. They also say "If your item(s) has been discontinued, a replacement part number will be suggested if available" <--- direct from their website

After several days I get a notice of refund of my money with no further explanation. I contacted VIM and said it would seem my claim has been rejected, but why wouldn't a flex head 3/8" ratchet be the next best replacement (I suspected the item was discontinued).

I was told yes, the item has been discontinued and there are no replacements available. They said they could offer me a $20 coupon (based on what, exactly??) or I should try to return through my method of purchase. Obviously, I can't return a Nov '22 purchase to Amazon.

Anyway, I don't believe much in boycotts but this lets me know caveat emptor when shopping VIM. I'll still buy their stuff if I can't first find alternatives.

I've had far better warranty experiences with Steelman, Craftsman, Gearwrench, Tekton, Stanley and Snap On, to name the ones I can remember.

Lame, I was just looking at the VIM half length bit set but might look else where…

I have a VIM air hammer bit that has transformed into a hook after one use. Thanks for reminding me to not bother with the warranty process.
If they have an exact replacement it'll probably work out for you. But you'll be out $10 for sure.

My issue seemed to be a discontinued product, despite the fact their website seems to understand the concept of substituting the next best thing.

Then on top of that the offer of a $20 coupon was insulting. I paid $40 on Amazon and even that was a very competitive retail price at the time of purchase.

Anyway, plenty of other tool manufacturers out there for me :D

Had a Tekton 1/2" to 3/8" impact adapter break on me (using it with a Makita impact wrench and Tekton 19mm or so impact socket on the Accord's lug nuts), did their online warranty thing Sunday night where you send a picture and the part #. Got a shipment notification for the replacement at no cost by 9 AM Monday.

jeff

Reactions: D60
Had a Tekton 1/2" to 3/8" impact adapter break on me (using it with a Makita impact wrench and Tekton 19mm or so impact socket on the Accord's lug nuts), did their online warranty thing Sunday night where you send a picture and the part #. Got a shipment notification for the replacement at no cost by 9 AM Monday.

jeff
I had a Tekton 15" extension I needed to warranty due to detent ball issues.

They replied they no longer made a 15" and asked if 12" would be ok. I countered asking if they'd do a 12" and a 3", and they readily agreed.

Here we see an example of a company using common sense and substituting something similar. VIM might learn a thing or two

Side note: I welded the 12 and 3" together to once again make a 15" (so they wouldn't pull apart in use)

Back