Harbor Freight... American Made, Lifetime Warranty

If they follow the rules - and some don't - there pretty specific in order to be able to claim American Made. Its a FTC rule and "All or Virtually All" of the labor and materials are from the USA.

This notion that you can put the last screw in and call it made in USA is not true - if they follow the rules.
People just have to try and bash on Harbor Freight and/or worship Snap On and will grasp anything they can that they think helps their argument.

You are exactly right with the explanation of "Made in..." too.

It likely means either final assembly happens here (with components from anywhere) or a certain percent of components were manufactured here (with raw materials from anywhere).
No.... The FTC has rules that cover this scenario as well and everyone has likely seen it. It has to say "Assembled in the USA (from global components)" or similar wording. A picture from the internet shows the back of the packaging for these and it says "Designed and manufactured ... in the US".

Harbor Freight doesn't hide where their products come from. Why would they break FTC rules for this item ?

No.... The FTC has rules that cover this scenario as well and everyone has likely seen it. It has to say "Assembled in the USA (from global components)" or similar wording. A picture from the internet shows the back of the packaging for these and it says "Designed and manufactured ... in the US".

Harbor Freight doesn't hide where their products come from. Why would they break FTC rules for this item ?
As SC stated it says all or virtually all. Proving my point. What is virtually all? How is that enforced? I could say 51% of the components are made in the USA. It's a majority, maybe to me that means virtually all. And 51% of those components could be made in the USA and so on.

The point is not to bash Harbor Freight. It's to say these rules are not absolute and to be careful what you think something slapped on a package really means.

What is virtually all?
The FTC answers that....

What does "all or virtually all" mean?
"All or virtually all" means that all significant parts and processing that go into the product must be of U.S. origin. That is, the product should contain no — or negligible — foreign content.
Next, what does "negligible" mean ? Merriam-Webster says

so small or unimportant or of so little consequence as to warrant little or no attention
You suggest 49% composition would qualify and no reasonable person would agree with that, nor would the FTC.

The FTC answers that....

Next, what does "negligible" mean ? Merriam-Webster says

You suggest 49% composition would qualify and no reasonable person would agree with that, nor would the FTC.
Believe what you want to believe. These things are much harder to enforce than you imagine.

Reactions: D60
When i was pedaling electronics at Radio Shack, they came out with a line of higher quality hand tools for electronics. They had green handle covers. Made in Taiwan. $6.99 back then. (1995) When I closed my store I pilfered two pair of the small needle nose pliers. 30 years later both pair are still excellent. The springs are still good and the hardened tips still have their grooves. Yes, they have been used a lot. I go look at tools these days and what you get for your buck is horrible.

I just picked these wire strippers up at Harbor Freight this morning. 100% American made with a lifetime warranty. All but identical to the same Snap-On model selling for $72.00.

These are just $19.99. Over 3-1/2 times less for the same identical product. I wouldn't doubt they're made in the same plant and just badged differently.

View attachment 209513
Impressive deal👍

Not channellock, Klein or ideal. But USA made.

IMG_4452.jpeg

IMG_4453.jpeg

IMG_4454.jpeg

IMG_4455.jpeg

I just picked these wire strippers up at Harbor Freight this morning. 100% American made with a lifetime warranty. All but identical to the same Snap-On model selling for $72.00.

These are just $19.99. Over 3-1/2 times less for the same identical product. I wouldn't doubt they're made in the same plant and just badged differently.

View attachment 209513
I have the Snap On version and those do look pretty identical to them. The one difference that I see is that the Snap On version strips some smaller gauge wire compared to the Icon ones. My SO ones do 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, and 20 gauge wires.

They have a few items that are US made one of which is a punch set. Been wanting to get one eventually. Supposedly made by Mayhew (sp?) and supposedly is the same as yet cheaper than some tool truck brands.

These strippers are interesting, but I’m not understanding what the gain would be over the traditional style.

Back