Harbor Freight... American Made, Lifetime Warranty

Hey, this is America, learn to speak English. Or at least stop complaining about the “parts” of America that aren’t “in” America until you do :ROFLMAO:

I speak English just fine, just can't spell it. I think I can do better than most of the people in those factories in Puerto Rico though. :unsure:

I have the Snap On version and those do look pretty identical to them. The one difference that I see is that the Snap On version strips some smaller gauge wire compared to the Icon ones. My SO ones do 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, and 20 gauge wires.
So there's two versions of this. One does 6, 8, 10 and 12 ga while one does 10ga down through 20ga.

The difference seems to be the "HD" in the part #, with the HD unit -- not surprisingly -- being the larger gauges.

I was just able to capture in one screen the part # near the top and the gauge specs near the bottom:
Screenshot_20240323_084337_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20240323_084403_Chrome.jpg

Also I'd rather HF market the "smaller" version. Whenever I've wished for something like this it's been like trying to reach into a center stack for stereo wires or under-dash work. Not a lot of 6 thru 12ga under a dash ;)

Instead I ordered a Japanese Weicon on Amazon for about $28. While the form factor is not identical I think it will work in a similar (and easier, being automatic sizing) fashion.

So there's two versions of this. One does 6, 8, 10 and 12 ga while one does 10ga down through 20ga.

The difference seems to be the "HD" in the part #, with the HD unit -- not surprisingly -- being the larger gauges.

I was just able to capture in one screen the part # near the top and the gauge specs near the bottom:View attachment 209935View attachment 209936
Ok, I didn't know that they had two versions. The version I have is more usable for the automotive wiring I usually strip. I'm surprised that HF doesn't have the smaller version. They may end up offing it at some point.

Reactions: D60
Thanks for sharing. I won't get into the hair splitting argument of the COO. For $20 they'll be in my toolbox shortly. I have quite a few Snap On tools, and don't see the need to pay $60 or so to have the SO name on those wire stripping pliers. Hopefully they'll add the one for the smaller size wires too.

Reactions: D60
I’m retired and just putter around now so HF tools fit my use case quite well in most cases. As for country of origin the US is pretty independent when it comes to international trade. Net exporter of food and energy and items that are on the high end of the value added chain.
The United States depends on foreign trade at about mid to low twenty percent of our gdp.
China on the other hand has a trade to gdp ratio of 175%. I’d much rather be us than them. The global trade system that the US Navy has secured since 1945 benefits China way more than it does us.
When the world was in ruins after WWII everyone was expecting the US to establish a vast colonial empire but we did not.

I’m retired and just putter around now so HF tools fit my use case quite well in most cases. As for country of origin the US is pretty independent when it comes to international trade. Net exporter of food and energy and items that are on the high end of the value added chain.
The United States depends on foreign trade at about mid to low twenty percent of our gdp.
China on the other hand has a trade to gdp ratio of 175%. I’d much rather be us than them. The global trade system that the US Navy has secured since 1945 benefits China way more than it does us.
When the world was in ruins after WWII everyone was expecting the US to establish a vast colonial empire but we did not.
I don’t know enough about geopolitics to determine if this is all, you know, “true”… but it definitely has an air of truthiness about it, and I like it.

I've gotten too old to try and determine where everything I buy is made. I'd love to have American Made on everything, but it's just not happening. Our government has taken us this direction, and we didn't complain enough, so we're stuck. HF tools are getting better all the time, regardless of where they're made. Heck, even Klein, Milwaukee and many others are made elsewhere, and yet they're highly praised.

I've gotten too old to try and determine where everything I buy is made. I'd love to have American Made on everything, but it's just not happening. Our government has taken us this direction, and we didn't complain enough, so we're stuck. HF tools are getting better all the time, regardless of where they're made. Heck, even Klein, Milwaukee and many others are made elsewhere, and yet they're highly praised.
And guys like this. Gee who would have thought China would copy them?

1711561378725.jpg

Last edited:
Back