Lets run 40 yr old oil in a 40 yr old Datsun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Shannow
I have really really mixed feelings about early Datsuns...

Feelings may be mixed, but they always have a story to tell or an adventure to remember
smile.gif

Jordan

Originally Posted By: JFAllen
Originally Posted By: Shannow
I have really really mixed feelings about early Datsuns...

Feelings may be mixed, but they always have a story to tell or an adventure to remember
smile.gif

True, but we could never match the feats of the Family R-16...travelling back to Adelaide form Daylesford, 7 people, wheelchair and lugage, my brother and I lying on top of the luggage and holding the hatchback ajar to improve ventilation...stopping at Bordertown (or maybe I think it was Kaniva) for a break, and my uncle taking a dip in the cricket club's water tank.

Relatively recently (last 15 years) a mate was working for a regional courier who ran 1200 utes with 1500 engines as their delivery vehicles.

Originally Posted By: jayg
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
This is a really solid and rust free old survivor.
Can't be many good barn find early Zs left.
Nice old machine that you really should street drive.
They lack the power to be all that thrilling on a track and such a good riding car deserves to be street driven.[/b}
I've driven these cars and found them to be very nice to drive, with good tracking, good handling as well as a comfortable ride. Nice shifting as well and the inline six sounds really nice.
I am envious!

They are plenty fast on the track in their class for vintage racing. It's tagged and I drive it on the street but S30's with suspension and tires can outperform lots of other cars from that era with more power.

Anyone ever hear of the 1971 East Africa Safari rally?

Guess what won.
cool.gif

We used to run the Datsuns on quality SE oils at the time, probably the same as what you have got. I wouldn't worry about oils in an L engine, they were a Mercedes copy and pretty tough, the cooling system and cyl head is what I'd worry about. They were made of recycled Coke cans, corrode and go soft if used above a gentle heat. I may have done a Datsun L engine, but what I remember doing a lot is head gaskets, 4 cyl and 6 cyl. No window over the tensioner made it a bigger job than it should've been. I remember one 180B engine with bronze guides and seats, not a triple S, just a bog standard 180B...never seen another like it.

That brings back memories. Nissan once built many interesting and mechanically excellent vehicles. How times have changed.
The Japanese go a'racin!
What is that support vehicle? Looks too big to be a 510 wagon, or is it?
You guys need petrol? No thanks, we brought our own.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
That brings back memories. Nissan once built many interesting and mechanically excellent vehicles. How times have changed.
The Japanese go a'racin!
What is that support vehicle? Looks too big to be a 510 wagon, or is it?
You guys need petrol? No thanks, we brought our own.

For a while there, my support vehicle was a 70 510 wagon with a built l20 and huge cam.

JiVFp0J.jpg

I had a fleet of normal cars and then a fleet of ratty Datsun racers. I’ve since paired that down a bit.

I think the factory support vehicle pictured is actually a Nissan Cedric wagon.
It is quite a bit larger than a 510 wagon and has different surface development.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back