Lets run 40 yr old oil in a 40 yr old Datsun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of my favorite cars of all time. I would seriously consider a newer oil like Rotella or even plain Jane PYB... Thanks for the photos.

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
One of my favorite cars of all time. I would seriously consider a newer oil like Rotella or even plain Jane PYB... Thanks for the photos.

Nah I'll run this old stuff. I'm predicting my uoas will turn out just fine. Great oil pressure, no crazy sounds, no abnormal burn off. (Havent had to top off at all in 2k miles and 2 years)

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
Originally Posted By: car51
Why use newer stuff when ;0 year old unopened oil is working?

This: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=oil...amp;_sacat=6000

Most people on here are cheap as [censored]. I had a for sale thread on here and I sold a little of my stash but most people wanted just one or two cans and it wasnt worth my time to ship and box it.

I'm not doing this for money. It's for curiosity and to prove that oil doesn't go bad in 2 years or whatever some people will tell you. Stored correctly it will last [censored] near forever.

People on here are cheap and relatively brainwashed. Glad to hear the old QS is working. I have 6 cans of Super Blend 10W-20W-30, 1 can of HD 30, 1 can of Texaco Ursa HD 30, and 3 cans of QS ND 30. If I had an old car of that vintage, I'd seriously consider running any of the detergent oils. The QS green top would be great compressor pump oil.

My earlier pictures died with Photobucket but I'm updating this thread now.

As promised, I just sent off my sample of new old stock 1973 QS Super Blend 10w40 that I have run the last 4.5 years in my 1973 Datsun 240Z. Filter was an STP spin on.

Hopefully this clears up any confusion:

The oil was stored in a cool dark place from 1973 until 2013 in my uncle's vintage oil stash that I became owner of after he sold his house. I then used 5 quarts of the oil from April of 2013 until I changed it in December of 2017. It is 44 year old oil but not the original oil in the sump for that long. I know somebody will ask.

The car has 93k miles and the last oil run was 4.5 years and 1811 miles (mostly hard driving).No make up oil was needed or added. The car sat from 1989 until 2013 when I bought it, revived it and turned it into a track rat. This oil run was hard use, months of tracking down leaking carbs, cold starts etc.... I expect extremely high fuel but other than that I have no idea what to expect with shearing, TBN, etc. Oil pressure has been rock solid and again no burning or top off needed.

When I get the report back shortly I'll update this thread and also add it the Oil Analysis sub-forum.

April 2013:
SvUFsZv.jpg

khLRvzm.jpg

December 2017:
xZUYYjH.jpg

nrWqbTm.jpg

Those cans bring back memories, some not so good. The cardboard cans in later years were so thin it didn’t take much to get them to leak.

That’s a nice looking Datsun. It was THE car back in the day. (Edit). That car must have some nice value now. You have taken very good care of it from the pics posted.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JFAllen
Awesome. curious to see the results.

Regards
Jordan

PS Datsun's are Awesome: Here's mine

When I was a kid, we had a 120Y.

Sis's wheelchair wouldn't fit in the boot, so got jammed down between the driver's seat and the back seat...I sat in the backseat with not footwell because the chair was there.

Dad would pick us up after school on a Friday arv (Kilburn Primary), and we'd drive to Melbourne with just petrol stops. Visit Relos, then head back to Adelaide starting 14:00 Sunday arv...same seating arrangement.

When we MOVED to adelaide, it was the five of is in a Datsun 1,000 wagon. Lost the brakes descending the hills, so he used the handbrake. WHen the cable snapped, pulled the drain bung out of the footwell, and pulled the cable up through that. I had to pull on the cable with a pair of vicegrips.

I have really really mixed feelings about early Datsuns...

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: JFAllen
Awesome. curious to see the results.

Regards
Jordan

PS Datsun's are Awesome: Here's mine

When I was a kid, we had a 120Y.

Sis's wheelchair wouldn't fit in the boot, so got jammed down between the driver's seat and the back seat...I sat in the backseat with not footwell because the chair was there.

Dad would pick us up after school on a Friday arv (Kilburn Primary), and we'd drive to Melbourne with just petrol stops. Visit Relos, then head back to Adelaide starting 14:00 Sunday arv...same seating arrangement.

When we MOVED to adelaide, it was the five of is in a Datsun 1,000 wagon. Lost the brakes descending the hills, so he used the handbrake. WHen the cable snapped, pulled the drain bung out of the footwell, and pulled the cable up through that. I had to pull on the cable with a pair of vicegrips.

I have really really mixed feelings about early Datsuns...

Now we know where the inspiration for Mad Max came from.

This is a really solid and rust free old survivor.
Can't be many good barn find early Zs left.
Nice old machine that you really should street drive.
They lack the power to be all that thrilling on a track and such a good riding car deserves to be street driven.
I've driven these cars and found them to be very nice to drive, with good tracking, good handling as well as a comfortable ride. Nice shifting as well and the inline six sounds really nice.
I am envious!

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
This is a really solid and rust free old survivor.
Can't be many good barn find early Zs left.
Nice old machine that you really should street drive.
They lack the power to be all that thrilling on a track and such a good riding car deserves to be street driven.[/b}
I've driven these cars and found them to be very nice to drive, with good tracking, good handling as well as a comfortable ride. Nice shifting as well and the inline six sounds really nice.
I am envious!

They are plenty fast on the track in their class for vintage racing. It's tagged and I drive it on the street but S30's with suspension and tires can outperform lots of other cars from that era with more power.

You might make a tidy sum selling the old oil. Someone sold an old imperial gallon of Tidex for $115, according to this:

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/E...llon-tin-179109

Canadian Tire was flogging the stuff into the mid to late 1970s (maybe later), the cans having switched to litres. I wonder how many people bought it because it was super cheap, not knowing or possibly not caring that it was detergent-free.

Originally Posted By: Uphill_Both_Ways
You might make a tidy sum selling the old oil. Someone sold an old imperial gallon of Tidex for $115, according to this:

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/E...llon-tin-179109

Canadian Tire was flogging the stuff into the mid to late 1970s (maybe later), the cans having switched to litres. I wonder how many people bought it because it was super cheap, not knowing or possibly not caring that it was detergent-free.

I've had some for sale on here before years ago and besides a few exceptions, it was a giant waste of time. Most people wanted 1 can for $5 shipped to put in their garage. I think 6 pack for $60 plus shipping is VERY fair and more worth my time as I have hundreds of these cans but not as much time to deal with the tire kickers. After a few dozens sales, I decided to use it, test it, and enjoy it for myself rather than deal with broke people who want something for nothing. I don't care about making money off of this stuff and I don't care about just running modern stuff instead.

Detergent free? But it has “Tide” in the name.
grin.gif

It’s an imperial gallon (5 qts), which ironically is how most oil is still sold in the US.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back