Lets run 40 yr old oil in a 40 yr old Datsun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Examine the QS carefully. I recently opened a couple of the same vintage in metal cans to use in a lawn tractor and had marble-sized, amber-colored clumps of something coming out of the can. Kind of waxy in consistency..I wasn't sure what it was, but didn't use the oil.

Originally Posted By: crw
One of the more beautiful cars ever made!

Take care of that rust, respray in the original color, and watch it's value skyrocket.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^!

The 240Z was way ahead of its time, when it came to handling, styling, and even ergonomics and controls. An example in good condition drives a lot like a modern car, but more connected to the road. The best of all worlds!

I second, for doing a stock restoration all the way down to the original wheels.

Originally Posted By: joaks
jayg: do you mind posting a picture of the interior?
really love those cars!

The interior was the first thing I addressed when I got the car last month. Here it is with a new dash cap and armrest:
20130522_104610_zpsb555e634.jpg

20130622_150251_zps7730ec0d.jpg

20130622_150654_zpsa82b2899.jpg

Last edited:
Nice! My uncle had one but red. I dont think it matters what oil you put in it. It never stops. That inline is 100% bullet proof. Blast of a car to drive.

drool......

older brother had one when i was a kid, this car is the same year i was born!

great score, both oil and car!

look forward too seeing more pics, looks great inside!

That radiator is sweet!! I had the pleasure of test driving a new 240z back in the day - little wonder they had waiting lists. That oil stash brings back fond memories as well. Thanks for posting.

Originally Posted By: Rand
IMO I'd ebay/craigslist the oil make $$$ buy modern oil.. double win.

Ehh, what's the fun in that?

Wow! Nice Z! I've used all those oils. I have several empty cans of the GTX and a couple of the black Havoline plastic bottles. I cut the bottom out of the Havoline bottles and use them as funnels.

Nice!

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Looks like this car has little more than some surface rust.

Now that, if true, would REALLY be exceptional.

Please, please, PLEASE don't put a 260 crank in it. The 240's L-24 was the best engine of the series. Dad's _early_ '70 was a terrific car, and an unbeatable production class (showroom stock) race car. It's been 'found' and is once again racing in a vintage series in the PacNW. My '73 was also fun, but rusty and not so quick nor light as the '70.

Exactly! Put a modern high mileage oil in the Z and sell the old stuff...

Originally Posted By: bulwnkl
Nice!

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Looks like this car has little more than some surface rust.

Now that, if true, would REALLY be exceptional.

Please, please, PLEASE don't put a 260 crank in it. The 240's L-24 was the best engine of the series. Dad's _early_ '70 was a terrific car, and an unbeatable production class (showroom stock) race car. It's been 'found' and is once again racing in a vintage series in the PacNW. My '73 was also fun, but rusty and not so quick nor light as the '70.

It is just surface rust. That's mostly been sanded and epoxy primed. Paint comes last after racing, if ever and yes, it stays 2.4 forever. This is a budget racer more than a restoration.

zwall_zpsnmfsyh8w.jpg

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh

Exactly! Put a modern high mileage oil in the Z and sell the old stuff...

If you look at the dates, I've been running the vintage stuff for years and that is not going to happen.

Originally Posted By: jdavis
Blast from the past, did I miss the UOA postings?

Next spring after 3 years in the sump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back