LSjr Tests VOA of 20 yr old Valvoline & 40 yr old Mobil 1 Oil. HPL tests Anti-Foam in Gear Oil.

Like others here, I also question LSJr's conclusions.
Mass produced lubricants have to sell, otherwise they "clog the pipeline". Why would Red Line Oil for example say that "our products never go bad?" - Motor oils are blended well bellow 100C, except for the additive package which has to be heated to flow, as it's very viscous. Once it's blended and bottled in a sealed container, I don't see how it can go bad. Additives falling out of suspension? It can happen. If you suspect that, warm up the container and shake it. I didn't notice any additive fallout in your clear bottle of QS (I remember those, I liked them). LSJ is not going to go against the industry, he's going with the flow. Notice he's always talking about the big oil companies, always toting the "party line". What else do you expect?

Like others here, I also question LSJr's conclusions. All his old oils are severely darkened/oxidized. In my experience, that just does not happen with sealed bottles. Here is a photo I took today of my oldest oil on shelf: Quaker State Ultimate Durability Full-Synthetic 0W-20 manufactured on 05 Oct 2010, so 13.5 years ago. The color is as light as it was when I bought it. There is absolutely no sediment at the bottom, and I mean zero. Nothing has fallen out of suspension. I am currently running this oil in a frankenbrew with Amazon Basics Euro 0W-40 (2022 vintage).

View attachment 207305

All things considered, though, I think I will post on Marketplace and try and reduce my oil stash somewhat. I have 316 quarts, mostly from 2019-2023.

Keep in mind with API SM being the beginning for a reduced additive concentration you would expect to see lighter colored oil from there on.

Lighter does not necessarily = better

I would bet you store your oil in a location that does not see sunlight. The lack of UV protection of the clear bottle provides a quick path for the aminic antioxidants to turn brown with light.

David

Lighter does not necessarily = better
Light staying light is better than light turned dark. A change in color or consistency would indicate chemical changes occurring but I see no evidence of it happening here.
I would bet you store your oil in a location that does not see sunlight. The lack of UV protection of the clear bottle provides a quick path for the aminic antioxidants to turn brown with light.
Correct. I store oil in my attached garage with no windows that sees temperatures ranging from 40F-105F here in central Texas.

The point I was trying to make is that oil in sealed containers stored in a typical garage is unlikely to undergo much oxidation and associated discoloration. BTW, I have another clear bottle that contains half a quart of Mobil 1 API SM (leftover from 5qt jug) dated circa 2010, and that oil has darkened a LOT. I will take a side-by-side picture with the sealed QSUD in the morning. The two oils are the same age, stored in the same garage.

This makes sense. Opened bottle=access to oxygen which leads to oxidation. However, I still challenge the notion that oil in sealed bottles oxidizes. If oil in sealed containers does in fact go through significant chemical changes, it must be due to a process other than oxidation. Having ruled out oxidation, UV light and extreme temperature changes, I'd be interested in learning what other chemical changes may be occurring in oil that's been stored in a sealed bottle for over 10 years, and whether or not they would change the oil's appearance.

Last edited:
Light staying light is better than light turned dark. A change in color or consistency would indicate chemical changes occurring but I see no evidence of it happening here.

Correct. I store oil in my attached garage with no windows that sees temperatures ranging from 40F-105F here in central Texas.

The point I was trying to make is that oil in sealed containers stored in a typical garage is unlikely to undergo much oxidation and associated discoloration. BTW, I have another clear bottle that contains half a quart of Mobil 1 API SM (leftover from 5qt jug) dated circa 2010, and that oil has darkened a LOT. I will take a side-by-side picture with the sealed QSUD in the morning. The two oils are the same age, stored in the same garage.

This makes sense. Opened bottle=access to oxygen which leads to oxidation. However, I still challenge the notion that oil in sealed bottles oxidizes. If oil in sealed containers does in fact go through significant chemical changes, it must be due to a process other than oxidation. Having ruled out oxidation, UV light and extreme temperature changes, I'd be interested in learning what other chemical changes may be occurring in oil that's been stored in a sealed bottle for over 10 years, and whether or not they would change the oil's appearance.

I would venture to say that your oil (stored in the noted ideal conditions) would see little if any degradation.

David

To note and add, some oils are dark right out of the bottle due to high sulfur content or coloration from top treatment. Oil changing color from amber to dark doesn't always indicate oxidation nor cleaning. Some ashless dispersants turn dark from UV exposure (from combustion events), making the oil appear darker.

Oil hoarders looking at their stash after reading this…
1709997972516.gif

All things considered, though, I think I will post on Marketplace and try and reduce my oil stash somewhat. I have 316 quarts, mostly from 2019-2023.
If the oil is from 2019-2023, what's going to be the issue? This still falls within many manufacturer's current "recommendation" of 5 years. Some companies have listed longer in the past and some never indicate it at all.
That said, going through nearly 80 gallons of oil will "take some time" is an understatement, depending on how many vehicles you are feeding. If you got it for free or near free, post it up and make a few bucks out of it. There are people who do this all the time on clearance oils. What I have noticed on Marketplace is if it's priced right, it sells fast. Just don't be greedy on trying to sell oil for near list price that you can get at Walmart or Amazon.
But I would have zero issue keeping or running the "youngest" oils in your stash for the next couple/few years. Or you can mix it like you have said but that'll ruffle somebody's feathers here. Plenty here have used old oil, plenty hear have mixed. Read their experiences to make a judgement call for yourself.

If the oil is from 2019-2023, what's going to be the issue? This still falls within many manufacturer's current "recommendation" of 5 years. Some companies have listed longer in the past and some never indicate it at all.
That said, going through nearly 80 gallons of oil will "take some time" is an understatement, depending on how many vehicles you are feeding. If you got it for free or near free, post it up and make a few bucks out of it. There are people who do this all the time on clearance oils. What I have noticed on Marketplace is if it's priced right, it sells fast. Just don't be greedy on trying to sell oil for near list price that you can get at Walmart or Amazon.
But I would have zero issue keeping or running the "youngest" oils in your stash for the next couple/few years. Or you can mix it like you have said but that'll ruffle somebody's feathers here. Plenty here have used old oil, plenty hear have mixed. Read their experiences to make a judgement call for yourself.
Certified tests based on industry standard and practices in labs w/educated and well respected professionals who do this for a living vs BOB DIYer saying his 10 yrs old stash of clearance oil and brews “haven’t blown up his Camry yet.”

I know who I’m picking.

Certified tests based on industry standard and practices in labs w/educated and well respected professionals who do this for a living vs BOB DIYer saying his 10 yrs old stash of clearance oil and brews “haven’t blown up his Camry yet.”

I know who I’m picking.
Why would I walk past SP Dexos 1.3 on clearance …
Bought three major brands that meet that …
(And will use the older stuff in Pentastar for 5k) …

Why would I walk past SP Dexos 1.3 on clearance …
Bought three major brands that meet that …
(And will use the older stuff in Pentastar for 5k) …
This seems like a rhetorical statement, but I’ll respond regardless.

Because you don’t have to purchase something simply because it is on sale. That could be considered compulsive spending or a shopping addiction. That said it is your vehicle and money so do what you feel is best.

This seems like a rhetorical statement, but I’ll respond regardless.

Because you don’t have to purchase something simply because it is on sale. That could be considered compulsive spending or a shopping addiction. That said it is your vehicle and money so do what you feel is best.
Really - saved hundreds and helped others … That M1 AP in the Lexus is the last of 23 jugs at $15 - they get used … Replaced

Really - saved hundreds and helped others … That M1 AP in the Lexus is the last of 23 jugs at $15 - they get used … Replaced
Assuming M1 AP average is $30 you saved $15 x 23 = $345. Also assuming 5-6 oil changes a year it would take 3.8 -4.6 years to recognize that $345 savings. Now even if you used it all up in one year that is still only $345. I mean listen you hand me $345 yeah I’ll take it. But a couple hundred dollars is not a financial windfall.

Assuming M1 AP average is $30 you saved $15 x 23 = $345. Also assuming 5-6 oil changes a year it would take 3.8 -4.6 years to recognize that $345 savings. Now even if you used it all up in one year that is still only $345. I mean listen you hand me $345 yeah I’ll take it. But a couple hundred dollars is not a financial windfall.
5-6 oil changes per year!!?

Back