LSjr Tests VOA of 20 yr old Valvoline & 40 yr old Mobil 1 Oil. HPL tests Anti-Foam in Gear Oil.

Lake Speed Jr sends off some, shaken up, new & 20 year old virgin Valvoline synpower for analysis to discuss their differences. Results are Water in oil, Oxidation, Additive package depletion (Chemical degradation) are characteristics of the old oil. Don' use.

Also, He tests 40-50 year old Mobil 1 oil & TBN has been reduced but still not a reliable indicator of old oil condition.

Tests some 2 minute shaken gear oil which help very little & would need to be shook for a lot longer. HPL tests the anti-foam additives in this.

Last edited:
Lake Speed Jr sends off some, shaken up, new & 20 year old virgin Valvoline synpower for analysis to discuss their differences. Results are Water in oil, Oxidation, Additive package depletion (Chemical degradation) are characteristics of the old oil. Don' use.

Also, He tests 40-50 year old Mobil 1 oil & TBN has been reduced but still not a reliable indicator of old oil condition.

Tests some 2 minute shaken gear oil which help very little & would need to be shook for a lot longer. HPL tests the anti-foam additives in this.

I doubt the people that contemplate useing 20 year old oil will shake for more than 2 minutes

16 min mark gets to the results.

No surprises judging by the color. Vapor diffusion through the walls of the bottles aged out the additive pack.

HPL performed the foam testing (22:00 min mark).

Shaking it will not bring the additives back into suspension nor rejuvenate the anti-foaming agent.

Okay, lets take the next step then. How could a layman re-add a little bit of anti foaming agent to old oil?

I think this is pretty cool. I'll be honest I never shake my oil bottles but also don't have a stash of older oil sitting around where this would be an issue. The HPL lab bit is cool...I guess I need to switch over my gear oil to HPL next go around.

What specifically is the clowning related to at 17?
I think one of the commenters picked up on it. Comparing the oxidation numbers and coming to a conclusion. Think about it.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I'm not done with the video yet (wife keeps talking at me) but most all oil labs have a foam tester, but I'll continue...

I think one of the commenters picked up on it. Comparing the oxidation numbers and coming to a conclusion. Think about it.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I'm not done with the video yet (wife keeps talking at me) but most all oil labs have a foam tester, but I'll continue...
Yes, I see that comment w/r to esters and whether the varioius formulations are the reason for the oxidation differences...could be. Don't fuss here, leave a comment there!

comments look disabled to me, perhaps "the truth" has now been squashed?

Back