Laundry Detergent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Second hand information, but one of my co-workers did quite a bit of work at Lever Brothers in Hammond Indiana (plant closed now, I believe). He told me that the detergents are all basically the same but the difference between their top and bottom products were the enzymes added. I guess it's like base oils and additive packs.

I think there was a thread here in the past that mentioned adding a bit of TSP to boost the cleaning power. I've done it occasionally and it does seem to help. BTW, I have the owner manual for the washer (early 90's Maytag) and it specifically recommends using detergents with phosphates.

Typically, I use Arm & Hammer or Purex - whatever is currently on sale.

I just bought 2 jugs of Era, on sale for $2.99 at HyVee. Will be interesting, as I've never used it before.

Hands down favorite of mine Arm & Hammer with Oxi-Cleanliquid.
A few years ago I worked at a coal fired power plant.
My blue jeans would be as black as midnight after a day of work.
Arm & Hammer got them clean.
Tide my (2nd favorite) worked good, but there was still black stains from the coal on my jeans.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Originally Posted By: newbe46
Probably not a brand available to the States. A brand called Sunlight is almost 1/3 of the Tide up here.

In any case, if you want to save money I would suggest the powder instead of the liquid one. If you look at the numbers you can go so much further using the powder.

Where I live they only allow liquid detergent in the machines.
frown.gif

Only liquid detergent is allowed? Who makes the call, the machine manufacturer or someone else?

We have a SQ front loader and typically only need 1-2 oz of HE detergent per full load... We've tried Tide HE Turbo, Persil and Persil 2n1 and like the 2n1 the best. In the scheme of things, the detergent cost is miniscule coming at ~$0.20/load and we do about 4-5 loads a week (two of us).

For an added boost, I'll add OxyClean when doing dirty/work stuff or MF towels.

A buddy of mine turned me onto Surf. He is a coal miner and said Surf got his clothes the cleanest. He found it out by trying different detergents on his RZR and pickup that he rides in the coalfields. He was right as far as i can tell, it does clean my sidebyside better than others. My clothes dont get that dirty anymore so i cant vouch for that.

I can only find Surf in Walmart.

I checked the laundry room just now and did see a huge jug of Tide. It has a spigot on the handle. I have explicit orders to NEVER go near the washer and dryer.

Tide Ultra Stain Release is the best.
48 loads at about $11.00 a jug is about 23 cents a load. 23 cents
Thats pretty cheap for clean clothes.

Originally Posted By: Touring5
Second hand information, but one of my co-workers did quite a bit of work at Lever Brothers in Hammond Indiana (plant closed now, I believe). He told me that the detergents are all basically the same but the difference between their top and bottom products were the enzymes added. I guess it's like base oils and additive packs.

I think there was a thread here in the past that mentioned adding a bit of TSP to boost the cleaning power. I've done it occasionally and it does seem to help. BTW, I have the owner manual for the washer (early 90's Maytag) and it specifically recommends using detergents with phosphates.

while detergents with Phosphates do clean better, Phosphates were removed from detergents to keep them out of our waterways, where they are a big contributor to toxic Algal Blooms. this is especially true in the great lakes watershed.

CR ranked Whisk very high in years past. Not sure where they are now. Some stains are tougher than others. A long soak allows the detergent time to work, as does periodic agitation. My old 1990 washer does this special cycle. You can always add either borax or some TSP if your water is hard.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
CR ranked Whisk very high in years past. Not sure where they are now. Some stains are tougher than others. A long soak allows the detergent time to work, as does periodic agitation. My old 1990 washer does this special cycle. You can always add either borax or some TSP if your water is hard.

You mean Wisk? The old ring around the collar commercial? It's gone, replaced by Persil.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wisk

We used to buy Wisk all the time at Sam's Club, now we just buy the Sam's house brand laundry detergent. Wisk was less expensive than Sam's Club house brand.

Wisk is indeed no more, replaced by Persil as posted above.

https://www.wisk.com

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Probably not a brand available to the States. A brand called Sunlight is almost 1/3 of the Tide up here.

In any case, if you want to save money I would suggest the powder instead of the liquid one. If you look at the numbers you can go so much further using the powder.

Where I live they only allow liquid detergent in the machines.
frown.gif

Only liquid detergent is allowed? Who makes the call, the machine manufacturer or someone else?

Management/owners of the complex.

None compare to either Tide or Persil, especially when we include diminished chance of skin reaction and stain-fighting power.

Many here mention the need for adding things like Borax. Well that's not necessary with Persil or Tide, unless your clothes are really soiled.

I have a feeling the Persil you get the in the US at Target and Wal-Mart might be different than the real deal from Europe. I know Miele used to import the German formula before Henkel started to market the Persil brand in the US.

It was the only detergent Miele recommended, of course if you can afford a $2000-2500 washing machine(this was before the Koreans), a $30 box of Persil wasn't going to bankrupt you.

I'll try it out when I'm too lazy to make a Costco run since I do buy the detergent supply at the parent's.

Originally Posted By: nthach
I have a feeling the Persil you get the in the US at Target and Wal-Mart might be different than the real deal from Europe. I know Miele used to import the German formula before Henkel started to market the Persil brand in the US.

It was the only detergent Miele recommended, of course if you can afford a $2000-2500 washing machine(this was before the Koreans), a $30 box of Persil wasn't going to bankrupt you.

I'll try it out when I'm too lazy to make a Costco run since I do buy the detergent supply at the parent's.

I'd guarantee their formulated differently, but that doesn't necessarily mean one will clean better... maybe. Besides, cold water and powder formulations are the standard in Europe... whereas warm/hot and liquid detergent seems to be the norm here (USA). The only exception I remember is whites, with a super HOT wash... no bleach was used.

Water is also generally harder in Europe.

The best stain remover/hand cleaner/detergent is Schaffer's Hand Cleaner. Buy it by the gallon/case....

Use it for hand cleaning, spot stain treatment (100 times better than Shout/Etc), use a little in the washing machine.

Clothes will be much cleaner. Get it at your local Schaffer's oil vendor.

Originally Posted By: bmwpowere36m3

Which is why the Europeans shun phosphates in their automotive coolants... but what are they using as the sequestering/softening/chelant component in their laundry and dishwasher detergents? Unless of course Bosch and Miele also have a built-in water softener in their machines.

Originally Posted By: bmwpowere36m3
Originally Posted By: nthach

I'd guarantee their formulated differently, but that doesn't necessarily mean one will clean better... maybe. Besides, cold water and powder formulations are the standard in Europe... whereas warm/hot and liquid detergent seems to be the norm here (USA). The only exception I remember is whites, with a super HOT wash... no bleach was used.

Is this why Europeans shower less then Americans?
The water hurts them ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back