Laundry Detergent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Donald
Most people use too much detergent. Try using the proper amount and see how much you save.

There is a test in which you can determine this. Without adding any clothes or detergent, fill your machine with water like there were these in there. Let it agitate for about 20 seconds. If any soap bubbles/suds appear, you're using too much laundry detergent. Several appliance techs told me this. I tried it on my machine (In FL.) and sure enough, they were correct. After using the correct amout a few times, I did the test again; NO BUBBLES/SUDS.

I have no use for overpriced, overperfumed, overdyed, overadvertised detergents like Tide.
I use cheap Mexican powder detergent [Foca or Roma], and maybe Borax. I rarely need enzymes to break up stains.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Two or three factories pump out all the laundry detergent. In the end it’s marketing that tells you which is better. Ever wonder why Proctor and Gamble makes multiple brands? Or Unilever? Or Colgate Palmolive?

the P&G plant is here in my town. if you buy a Liquid Detergent or softener from Proctor & Gamble, there's around a 95% Chance it was bottled here in Lima. also the Pods. they invented the Tide Pods at the Lima Factory.

They also work everyone 12 hour Swing shifts. From the minimum wage slaves from the temp agency, to the actual P&G employees. EVERYONE.

I use Arm & Hammer. works as well as anything I've ever tried, and it fairly regularly goes on sale for $2.99/bottle.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: earlyre
Two or three factories pump out all the laundry detergent. In the end it’s marketing that tells you which is better. Ever wonder why Proctor and Gamble makes multiple brands? Or Unilever? Or Colgate Palmolive?

the P&G plant is here in my town. if you buy a Liquid Detergent or softener from Proctor & Gamble, there's around a 95% Chance it was bottled here in Lima. also the Pods. they invented the Tide Pods at the Lima Factory.

I use Arm & Hammer. works as well as anything I've ever tried, and it fairly regularly goes on sale for $2.99/bottle.

CR's rates A&H CLEAN BURST and ALL tied 3rd behind PERSIL & TIDE.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Originally Posted By: volk06
We like Era. Seems to be the best bang for the buck and gets my close clean after working on equipment. Heavy soiled clothes, blood or something else that stains bad, we will pretreat with shout.

Tide bothers my skin and persil smells horrible.

Remember those commercials where they would write ALL on the shirt to pre-treat? I might consider ALL, or even WISK. WISK cleans collars pretty good, according to those old commercials.
grin.gif

I loved wisk. Worked the best for my workout clothes with paying a lot. To bad they discontinued it.

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
I have found that the best laundry detergent in the one on sale at Costco this week (or any week)

My experience too. Tide, All, Kirkland all do a good job.

I use FRAGRANCE-FREE liquid Purex and baking soda together. If I was the world's dictator, I'd ban all laundry products with fragrance and sentence all the people ignoring the ban to prison for one year. All fragrant laundry detergent factories would be taken out with cruise missiles.

Nowadays you just check amazon for reviews. If it is bad it should get low stars and a lot of reviews.

I find what works and stick with that. Doing larger loads will save you money.

Originally Posted By: SEMI_287
Purex usually. It works and you really don't need a lot of it.

My ex wife used Purex. When we divorced I started using TIDE. I have read somewhere online that Purex is all that's needed if you don't need stains removed. I think that was an old CR's detergent test a few years ago.

Arm and Hammer or Purex. Either go on sale for $1.99 a jug(32 loads) almost every week one place or another. LA Awesome oxi booster seems to work decently as an enhancer. Sold for $1 a can at Dollar Tree.

Henkel makes Persil - but they also supply Costco, Wal-Mart and a lot of private labels via merger. Henkel bought out Dial(who makes Purex), Huish(who was a long-time vendor to Costco and many private-label programs) and Unilever's US cleaning business(which they also have a joint venture with Diversey) which included Sun, All and Snuggle. Method has their own plant outside of Chicago.

My parents use Kirkland pods from Costco, I prefer Tide Purclean or Method as I can wash my bike and running gear without fear of optical brighteners interfering with sweat wicking fabrics/water resistant coatings.

Thanks to all that replied.
I'm going to WM today to pick up meds so I will buy a small container of A&H CLEAN BURST to see how it works. If that doesn't suffice, ERA will be next.
Hmmmm, maybe I can mix the A&H and ERA and get a 5W30 detergent.
lol.gif

All Free & Clear plus 1/2 cup of Borax per load. For stains, pretreat with Simple Green or a cream style mechanics hand cleaner. If you want to cheap out on fabric softener and keep your washer clean at the same time, add white vinegar to your fabric softener dispenser.
#TideMakesMeItch

FLAME SUIT ON:
I use and have recommended Arm & Hammer plain detergent. They used to call it "Washing Soda" but I bet the name was too weird.

It dissolves completely and has a VERY delicate smell. Tide products with all their cult following stories can go away.

"When my baby got out of prison all he wanted to do was launder his clothes in Tide"......please

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
I use regular Tide and add Borax to it. Nothing cleans hands better than Tide (again, not liquid) after working on a car, but boy does it burn if you have a scrape.

I thought everybody used the orange pumice stuff for oily hands? Works great for me, guess Tide powder would probably be cheaper...I first learned about the orange stuff from seeing it in the bathroom at the dyno facility a previous company owned near Detroit. My dad used some brown bar soap that I would guess must have been a descendant of old fashioned lye soap, I'd use that stuff now and again and it took forever to get any lather going.

BENNY HILL JOKE;
1. "I do all my washing in Tide."
2. "Why is that""
1. "Too darn cold out Tide!"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back