I want a Challenger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Go buy one, you wont regret it
smile.gif
Just have a winter beater!
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Yea, I want the Charger SRT. But at my age its not what I want, but do I really need it. Therefore it ain't gonna happen.

Get the 6.4L or supercharged in the SRT or whatever its called now. The regular R/T HEMI isn't very fast (Think V6 performance, basically), and I firmly believe FCA uses higher grade materials in the SRT and equivalent trims.

Originally Posted by MCompact
I almost bought a CPO manual SRT. A great track toy(SRT actually requires the cars to be able to lap a track at 9/10 this for at least 35-45 minutes without issues) but the cost of EHP replacement rubber gave me pause.
I'd still like to get one someday.

What, a little money for some track rubber got you down? FWIW my car has had dozens of track day events and never even hiccupped. Pretty rugged IME, and LOADS of fun!

The Challenger is not quite as capable on the track as some of the other SRT's per C&D. I don't prefer the modern Challenger because it is so big...

FWIW I had a 5.7 with the 6 speed and there were several things I didn't like about it. Visibility on the right side: the pass seat heat rest blocks your view out the quarter window. The solution is to find one with blind spot monitoring. Ride is rough w/super track suspension. Also scrapes bottom easily. The solution is to get the one w/o the factory lowered suspension. The power wasn't all that good. IMO if I were getting another Challenger I would just get the 3.6 V-6 automatic. It's almost as fast as the 5.7 with the manual trans. Mine got good gas mileage, though. I would average 26 mpg on a trip; almost as good as my 2018 Mustang GT auto. IMO these cars nowadays don't need more than 5 speeds. With the 6 speed I would just end up skipping gears. I think a 5 speed would have been better for day to day use.

[Linked Image]

The new Mustang will blow the doors off a R/T Challenger, possibly even a scat pack. I'm a tame driver though but I do have fun on on ramps sometimes lol.

Nearly a dozen within 200 miles of me on the auction list if you want used. They want under $35K for this '17 Sct Pack with 6,000 miles.

[Linked Image from fototime.com]

I'll pick it up for ya at $1,000 over, but you got to let me play with it for a few days first.
grin2.gif

Why would someone want a muffstain when there are Challenger's to be had? Even Omnis,Reliant's and Cordobas are still around for your discretionary spending.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ws6
Get the 6.4L or supercharged in the SRT or whatever its called now. The regular R/T HEMI isn't very fast (Think V6 performance, basically), and I firmly believe FCA uses higher grade materials in the SRT and equivalent trims.

My 16' R/T 6 speed could break the tires loose in 2nd gear @ 15MPH just by flooring it. I loved getting on the interstate, not flooring it, shifting it by ear and was doing 95MPH when merging.
5th gear + 4500'ish RPM = 130 MPH........which was just letting the engine breath shifting at 5000 RPM. V6 fast??? You must have been running 87 reg.....................

I ordered a 19' Shaker R/T 5.7 6 speed. Trust me, you can get yourself in trouble real easy with a little ol' 5.7.

Originally Posted by oldhp
Well now is the time to do it. Dodge has a $10 per horsepower rebate going on. A 375HP R/T Challenger has a $3750 rebate. Hellcat $7970 rebate etc. Even the SXT 3.6 gets you $3050 off. Plenty of them out there. Act fast...the rebate ends 9-3-19.

Not buying new.

Originally Posted by 007
Great car until you have to back up and can't see!
smile.gif

The side mirrors work fine-what's the problem?

Originally Posted by Ws6

My 16' R/T 6 speed could break the tires loose in 2nd gear @ 15MPH just by flooring it. I loved getting on the interstate, not flooring it, shifting it by ear and was doing 95MPH when merging.
5th gear + 4500'ish RPM = 130 MPH........which was just letting the engine breath shifting at 5000 RPM. V6 fast??? You must have been running 87 reg.....................

I ordered a 19' Shaker R/T 5.7 6 speed. Trust me, you can get yourself in trouble real easy with a little ol' 5.7.

Dude...I'd never own a Chrysler again, I'm just looking at magazine numbers 0-60 takes a whopping 5+ seconds and 1/4 mile is high 13s@103. My old 2012 370z would tear that up like a soggy dinner roll (it also didnt have traction issues), and a v6 mustang would be a drivers race.

Get the 6.4. Otherwise get the v6. The 5.7 is just...why? Extra fuel and insurance for minimal return.

Also, as to spinning tires...my ws.6 would get sideways in 3rd gear roll on, and my cx5 can power slide awd drift...in san antonio. Those streets are like a greased frying pan for some reason. Surface matters. Totally wierd, San Antonio roads.

Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by Ws6

A crap suspension and skinny tires does not mean the thing is fast, lol!

Dude...I'd never own a Chrysler again, I'm just looking at magazine numbers 0-60 takes a whopping 5+ seconds and 1/4 mile is high 13s@103. My 370z would tear that up like a soggy dinner roll, and a v6 mustang would be a drivers race.

Get the 6.4.

You drive a bland appliance with all the appeal of cold oatmeal, signifying that you have given up...therefore, nothing you say matters.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by Ws6

A crap suspension and skinny tires does not mean the thing is fast, lol!

Dude...I'd never own a Chrysler again, I'm just looking at magazine numbers 0-60 takes a whopping 5+ seconds and 1/4 mile is high 13s@103. My 370z would tear that up like a soggy dinner roll, and a v6 mustang would be a drivers race.

Get the 6.4.

You drive a bland appliance with all the appeal of cold oatmeal, signifying that you have given up...therefore, nothing you say matters.

And yet, I've owned way cooler stuff than you ever will...maybe I know what I'm talking about?

I drive 100 miles a day, and live nearly off grid. If you can think of a better tool than a turbocharged japanese suv for reliably conveying me, I'm all ears!

Enjoy sweating it over v6 rustangs at stoplights in that Chrysler of yours if you opt for the poor person engine.

And a crown vic? Really? Your daily appliance makes my daily appliance seem pretty cool.

Ps...I looked at the numbers...that 5.7 charger is only 3.7 seconds faster to 100mph than my cx5. My z06 was literally almost twice as fast to 100. Interesting datapoints. No way would I put up with a v8 Chrysler for a measly less than 4 seconds faster to 100, no awd, less ground clearance, etc. Get the 6.4! It's a pretty neat muscle car with the 6.4. The 5.7 is blah. But still sucks fuel.

Originally Posted by 007
Great car until you have to back up and can't see!
smile.gif

"The first rule of Italian racing...what's behind you doesn't matter"

Since Dodge is an Italian car company, this apropos.

I wanted a Challenger in 2016 but bought a Chevy (Holden) SS Sport Sedan on a 25% off sale. 415 HP is enough muscle, 6sp manual is great, 4 doors make life easy, adjustable ride, adjustable exhaust, HUD and good visibility make driving easy.

And you don't see a few dozen everywhere you go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back