Chevy Colorado, am I missing something?

1st is fine but pretty much a granny gear. 1st LOW is very low and awesome. 5th and 6th are OD. Truthfully rarely am I on the freeway - mainly when we moved. Full heavy loads at 70 easy, the car 3.5V6 (Toyota!) loves to live at high revs.
My fil’s was auto. Toyota ATs are very jumpy in first gear. I have no idea the ratio.

My Ram CTD low first is 5.61:1 and barely useable since its pretty high rpm (for a diesel) by 5 mph. And it doesn’t have a 4.88 rear. I think the same era Chevy diesels had a 6.3:1 or so.

Granted a Toyota car engine can rev a lot higher than an old school truck diesel can.

My fil’s was auto. Toyota ATs are very jumpy in first gear. I have no idea the ratio.

My Ram CTD low first is 5.61:1 and barely useable since its pretty high rpm (for a diesel) by 5 mph. And it doesn’t have a 4.88 rear. I think the same era Chevy diesels had a 6.3:1 or so.

Granted a Toyota car engine can rev a lot higher than an old school truck diesel can.
Stupid Toyota made the stock diffs too tall in my opinion

You got it backwards - power of a 4 with mpgs of a 6. My dad bought a new 2005 Canyon with that motor (he passed by my mom still has it) and that was all he said...and that he should have never traded his '97 4.3 Sonoma. Totally gutless and thirsty that I5 was.
I realize I'm quoting from December, but this was not my experience if paired with a manual, as mine was. I got 24mpg highway. Vehicle was 2005, 5cyl, 5sp, 4x4, but regular cab so lighter. And this was living at 6500'

When you stuck the 5cyl in a crew cab with auto it seems milage was more like 16-17.

Gotcha - saw you mentioned not locking the front much - same with my Rubicon - prefer to lock the rear only and have good steering to avoid obstacles etc …
There’s not much steering with either locker really but certainly none with the front. And unlike a viscous coupled AWD even 4WD on slippery ground only

There’s not much steering with either locker really but certainly none with the front. And unlike a viscous coupled AWD even 4WD on slippery ground only
Yeah - was fully locked - and had to u turn when I realized I just drove over “pie crust” and dropped over a foot - man did it shake rattle and roll but had to keep momentum or a night with me and the skeeters 🦟

Back