Chevy Colorado, am I missing something?

I prefer AT in a truck, especially when off-road, but I can definitely see the reliability advantage of manual.
Clutches have their issues too- but are more fun.
Seems the reliability of ATs aren't improving, not sure what the race for more gears is all about- there must be an optimum count, I'm happy with the old 4L60E (with a tune). My '19 K1500 company truck finally went in for a ecu/pcm update, runs and shifts much better.

2 years, 2 months. 23,500 miles. Only issue so far (knock on wood) has been the 4wd actuator which they replaced in 5 mins.

IMG_7042.jpg

I am impressed more with the LFY 3.6L in our 2021 Chevy Traverse than the 3.8L in my 2022 Nissan Frontier. It feels more powerful, is smoother and has a nicer sound to it. I think the Colorado has a lot going for it with the 3.6L and 8spd. The only drawback to this combo is transmission servicing sucks on the later model Colorados. Exhaust has to be removed, etc. You'd need a flame hatchet after year 2-3 in the rust belt and hope nothing extra needs to be replaced.

@buster Is a pan available for the Colorado 8spd with a drain plug yet? Figure once you do an initial pan drop and filter change, a drain plug would make the process perfect.

@buster Is a pan available for the Colorado 8spd with a drain plug yet? Figure once you do an initial pan drop and filter change, a drain plug would make the process perfect.
I don't think so. These guys extract it out. Would be great if it had one.

The V6 and 8 speed are very smooth. I ended up going with the Colorado because I felt it drove the best and had the smoothest shifting transmission. On the other hand, it's been a problematic unit with shudder issues (mostly 2017-2020 models). If you stay on top of changing the fluid you can most likely avoid it.

Reactions: JTK

I've had the Colorado as a rental, super comfortable, great driving truck. I've also had the Tacoma, I refuse to rent another. The Tacoma and 4Runner are absolutely terrible to drive and horribly uncomfortable.
My FIL had a high end Tacoma (late model) about 6 months ago. Was a great deal that fell in his lap. None of us liked it and he got rid of it as fast as he could. He has had no real reliability issues with his fords in severe service.

If the Colorado is a vastly improved version of my S-10, I think it is a great truck, not being a 3/4 ton aside ;)

My 2019 Tacoma will be 4 years old this summer. Zero issues. What problems did he have?

Felt cheap despite leather and fancy everything, rode lousy on the roads there, uncomfortable and tight even though you can’t go more than 20 miles in any direction. Didn’t handle the terrain well when loaded heavily.

And this has been a Toyota only household since the early 90s.

I’m sure it will last a long time. Of course, so does my two 1996 dodges and 1998 Chevy. It’s not an issue of making it to 4, or whatever years.

Felt cheap despite leather and fancy everything, rode lousy on the roads there, uncomfortable and tight even though you can’t go more than 20 miles in any direction. Didn’t handle the terrain well when loaded heavily.

I’m sure it will last a long time. Of course, so does my two 1996 dodges and 1998 Chevy. It’s not an issue of making it to 4, or whatever years.
How many miles on the 1998 Chevy?

Interesting. I have had my over rating (lots, don't tase me). No issue. Mine is just a Sport, but I did re-gear to 4.88. Makes a world of difference along with re-tuning. Just cloth inside though. Quiet enough for a truck. 6 speed MT.

Originally, I wanted a Tacoma. Drove a 2019 TRD OR model. No offense to the Toyota fans (I like Toyota a lot) but it was horrible. Seating position was terrible, transmission was terrible and it was very underpowered. Wasn't impressed at all.

In terms of reliability, the Tacoma would likely edge out the Colorado, but it's not as noticeable of a difference as it once was IMO.

In terms of reliability, the Tacoma would likely edge out the Colorado, but it's not as noticeable of a difference as it once was IMO.

Too many people think that every toyota is going to do better than every chevy but that is not the case. Reliability rankings are always averaged out, so generally that means we can expect to find many chevys doing better in that area vs some toyotas.

It would really suck to be the guy who bought a tacoma with all its warts only to end up fixing more on it vs his neighbours chevy. That's why I don't look at reliability rankings (unless there are serious concerns in one area or another). Buy what you want and what makes you happy and if it means an extra trip or 3 to the dealer vs the "more reliable" option then so be it. I'd rather be happy in a truck that I want.

Originally, I wanted a Tacoma. Drove a 2019 TRD OR model. No offense to the Toyota fans (I like Toyota a lot) but it was horrible. Seating position was terrible, transmission was terrible and it was very underpowered. Wasn't impressed at all.

Legitimate

I remedied this but still. Toyota!

That was noted in our situation. Especially seating. And we’re all tall.

It was a very fancy limited model. The leather was nowhere as nice as the 40yo MB Tex in my old Mercedes cars. The terrain where we were is a good deal more severe than regular stateside roads. Power wasn’t there with a <1000 lb boat, or a ~4000 lb., and speeds are only 25mph or so!

Interesting. I have had my over rating (lots, don't tase me). No issue. Mine is just a Sport, but I did re-gear to 4.88. Makes a world of difference along with re-tuning. Just cloth inside though. Quiet enough for a truck. 6 speed MT.
MT and cloth would have probably been much more aligned to my FILs tastes. 4.88 must scream in 1st gear. Is there enough in the OD (I assume there are two OD gears in there) to keep it ok at 70?

He sold it to someone who had a similar but older 4dr Tacoma, and the AT failed. But hey, Toyota. I guess that gets overlooked.

That was noted in our situation. Especially seating. And we’re all tall.

It was a very fancy limited model. The leather was nowhere as nice as the 40yo MB Tex in my old Mercedes cars. The terrain where we were is a good deal more severe than regular stateside roads. Power wasn’t there with a <1000 lb boat, or a ~4000 lb., and speeds are only 25mph or so!

MT and cloth would have probably been much more aligned to my FILs tastes. 4.88 must scream in 1st gear. Is there enough in the OD (I assume there are two OD gears in there) to keep it ok at 70?

He sold it to someone who had a similar but older 4dr Tacoma, and the AT failed. But hey, Toyota. I guess that gets overlooked.
1st is fine but pretty much a granny gear. 1st LOW is very low and awesome. 5th and 6th are OD. Truthfully rarely am I on the freeway - mainly when we moved. Full heavy loads at 70 easy, the car 3.5V6 (Toyota!) loves to live at high revs.

Back