Chevy Colorado, am I missing something?

I’ve had both the Tacoma and the Colorado as rentals. The Colorado V6 was quick, comfortable, had a nice smooth ride, decent fuel economy 25-26mpg as calculated by the onboard computer. I’d consider owning one.

The Tacoma was miserable to drive. Slow, unbelievably slow. That 3.5 V6 really felt like driving a 4 cylinder. I’m by no means a fast driver, but it felt like the Tacoma couldn’t get out of its own way. Nothing was dialed in on the Tacoma. The engine, transmission, steering, brakes, suspension, all felt like they were just randomly slapped together with no effort of refinement. Only got 20mpg on the highway….

I’ve had both the Tacoma and the Colorado as rentals. The Colorado V6 was quick, comfortable, had a nice smooth ride, decent fuel economy 25-26mpg as calculated by the onboard computer. I’d consider owning one.

The Tacoma was miserable to drive. Slow, unbelievably slow. That 3.5 V6 really felt like driving a 4 cylinder. I’m by no means a fast driver, but it felt like the Tacoma couldn’t get out of its own way. Nothing was dialed in on the Tacoma. The engine, transmission, steering, brakes, suspension, all felt like they were just randomly slapped together with no effort of refinement. Only got 20mpg on the highway….

Tacoma finally gets 4 wheel disc brakes in their new model. They were still pushing drums in the rear last year 🤦‍♂️

My experience was exactly the opposite. Mine was a manual, maybe that made a difference.
It would - I owned 355’s with 3.5L, 3.7L, and 5.3L … all 4 speed - Way back when I started a thread about what vehicle in your past would have been so much better with a 6 speed or 8 speed - for me my I5 H3 …

Last edited:
Ya, getting where the 1500’s make it hard to reach inside the bed …
My biggest complaint with new full sized pickups.

If you use one day-to-day, the height is less than ideal. Whether it's the cab or the bed, access is difficult. Can't reach anything in the bed without actually climbing in. Gone are the days of simply reaching over the side. Cab access is no better, having to climb up/down to get in and out.

The frustrating part about it is that the taller height serves no function and is senseless. Doesn't have to be that way.

I drove them all that's what led me to going with the Chevy. The biggest issue with these trucks is the 8 speed shudder. They don't fail, but that can be a problem in some of the earlier models. It's mostly been resolved.

The LGX V6 is very reliable. I avg 16-21 mpg though. I don't baby it though and it does see off-road use.

I drove them all that's what led me to going with the Chevy. The biggest issue with these trucks is the 8 speed shudder. They don't fail, but that can be a problem in some of the earlier models. It's mostly been resolved.
Man - at 65 - I want my Tacoma to last 10 more years. I am NOT ever buying a truck with an AT. I can't and won't.

Cars are different story. At 75 I may still need a truck, we'll see. Wife wants a beach condo with everything in walking distance at that age. She has a point!

Man - at 65 - I want my Tacoma to last 10 more years. I am NOT ever buying a truck with an AT. I can't and won't.

Cars are different story. At 75 I may still need a truck, we'll see. Wife wants a beach condo with everything in walking distance at that age. She has a point!
I prefer AT in a truck, especially when off-road, but I can definitely see the reliability advantage of manual.

I prefer AT in a truck, especially when off-road, but I can definitely see the reliability advantage of manual.
NJ? Seriously how much off roading do you do?

There are indeed some advantages to AT in the serious stuff if you get a little nuts or are not so experienced. Here we are always on some rocks, mud, etc. I've used my rear locker more than a few times, front locker just a couple. I always go slow, I'm not a whammer banger. The logging roads behind us are good tests.

Also another cool Tacoma mod is the 2WD LOW switch. I love that thing.

Last edited:

There are indeed some advantages to AT in the serious stuff if you get a little nuts or are not so experienced. Here we are always on some rocks, mud, etc. I've used my rear locker more than a few times, front locker just a couple. I always go slow, I'm not a whammer banger. The logging roads behind us are good tests.

Also another a cool Tacoma mod is the 2WD LOW switch. I love that thing.
Usually beach, Pine Parrens and Poconos. I think after driving a manual for 20 years straight, in part of the country that is extremely populated, i grew tired of dealing with manuals.

I also never had the intention of keeping this truck long term (5+ years).

Usually beach, Pine Parrens and Poconos. I think after driving a manual for 20 years straight, in part of the country that is extremely populated, i grew tired of dealing with manuals.

I also never had the intention of keeping this truck long term (5+ years).
Traffic is a WHOLE 'nuther kettle of fish. My truck never sees traffic. I mean I can't remember other than some two laner construction. I was steaming!! I had like a 3 minute delay. Holy cripes. It was terrible!! :LOL: :ROFLMAO: 🤪 :cool:

Also another a cool Tacoma mod is the 2WD LOW switch. I love that thing.
Yeah, I have this on the Atv and its great for moving heavy(for atv) trailers around, and when we had the Tracker I wanted that too, but just used 4lo and had some tire slip...
Anyways, you'll have to post what you get for your Tacoma if you ever sell it, I imagine in 10 years it could be worth more than you paid for it. Probably not true for a Colorado.

The only trim level of the Colorado that holds its value really well is the ZR2. That will always be an advantage for Toyota. The new Tacoma looks really good.

The only trim level of the Colorado that holds its value really well is the ZR2. That will always be an advantage for Toyota. The new Tacoma looks really good.
Except for the comically large air dam in front. First thing I noticed when the first pics came out and now I can never unsee it.

FWIW I had a 2008 Colorado and traded it for a fullsize Chevy (2012 Silverado in my profile). The full size is much more capable and didn't really cost much more than a small truck. Reliability has been almost perfect. I had a fuel tank pressure sensor go bad and replaced it for $30+ with a genuine GM part from gmpartsdirect.com. It's had brakes replaced but that's pretty much maintenance. I don't think there is a big difference in gas mileage either, but I have the old cast iron 4.3 six that doesn't have stellar mileage or power. It gets an average of 18 mpg just driving around. 20 mpg on a trip.

I've never wanted for a longer bed in the Colorado but honestly DIY home stuff doesn't require 6 Ft every time and the tailgate down adds enough to be useful. Other than the driver's seat wearing prematurely I can't fault the truck. An employee has a 2020 Tacoma V6 Crew cab that I've driven on occasion, and it is not a pleasant space to be in. I don't understand the mechanical fan still either. Just use an electric fan like everyone else already.

I love the new Colorado, my problem is a nicely equipped one is basically full size truck territory. You would think the smaller pickup would stand out as a bargain compared to the full size. I know trim and options have a lot to do with it too.
I don't know current pricing, for a work truck I requested a Taco or Colorado but the fleet super said they were both more money than my K1500.

Back