Hyundai in talks to buy Fiat Chrysler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: sloinker
I heard that Fiat is going to acquire Subaru to gain a foothold on the small awd market.

You heard wrong. It will never happen. Toyota owns controlling interest in Subaru. Since Toyota acquired them Subaru has been "knocking it out of the ball park" in sales and profits over the last 10 years with new records set every year and becoming the fastest growing auto company in the world. Both of them are VERY happy with each other.

Originally Posted By: wag123
I heard that Fiat is going to acquire Subaru to gain a foothold on the small awd market.

You heard wrong. It will never happen. Toyota owns controlling interest in Subaru. Since Toyota acquired them Subaru has been "knocking it out of the ball park" in sales and profits over the last 10 years with new records set every year and becoming the fastest growing auto company in the world. Both of them are VERY happy with each other.

Yep.

This is Steven Lang writing these words. Yep. That's right. The most important Steven Lang since that actor who did Avatar, Antman, and the Steven Lang who used to deliver milk in the friendly town of Weehawken, New Jersey.

Since I have such a position of importance in world history, let me tell you of the importance of this prospective merger.

First off Chrysler minivans, the Jeep and RAM brands, along with Alfa Romeo will all be kept.

All unionized labor will be minimized over the long run. FIAT will be a mainstay brand in certain overseas markets but not the USA.

Chrysler will no longer be a division in the USA. The Genesis and K900 will handle the full-size sedan market (they operate on the same platform) and the Sedona will be axed in favor of the Pacifica and Grand Caravan. The later will be phased out in a couple of years, and the Sedona van will replace it strictly on the lower end.

The real story will be the Hyundai/Ram/Jeep/Kia colossus that will exist in the crossover and SUV market segments. Combined with the trucks and minivans, the new company will have a potential $10+ billion annual profit. The Accent, Rio, Elantra, Forte, Sonata and Optima will all have longer model cycles and eventually Hyundai will slowly abandon direct injection and pursue electrics and hybrids.

That's not the real story though. The real story will happen within the next two years when Ford buys out Tesla's automotive properties.

Last edited:
I heard that Fiat is going to acquire Subaru to gain a foothold on the small awd market. They will then immediately add steer horns on the hood and curb feelers to go along with the CVT transmissions in making Subarus world class!

It appears that not everyone grasped the humor you obviously intended.

Originally Posted By: loneryder
Why would anybody want that company. Even Daimler couldn't make it work.

It did work for Daimler by filling their pockets. It has been on a morphine drip since then.

Might see some nice Hemi powered Genesis models and some decent mid size turbo 4 bangers in the Chrysler line.

Last edited:
This could work well - think about it:

A re-designed 'Ram' truck, with a 400+HP version of the 'Tau' DOHC V-8...make it just a bit lighter and faster than the F150 with the Coyote 5.0L DOHC V-8.

Would make the 'truck wars' a lot more interesting!

Originally Posted By: nthach
At one point in time, Hyundai and Chrysler shared a common bond via Mitsubishi.

Yea that is when Hyundai/Kia was junk. Why go back.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: addyguy
This could work well - think about it:

A re-designed 'Ram' truck, with a 400+HP version of the 'Tau' DOHC V-8...make it just a bit lighter and faster than the F150 with the Coyote 5.0L DOHC V-8.

Would make the 'truck wars' a lot more interesting!

Why?

The HEMI family is more than capable of making that kind of HP/L without the complexity and taking up considerably less space. The current SRT 6.4L makes 485HP/470lb-ft putting it at 76HP/L and 73lb-ft/L, the 5.0L MPI Tau produces 395HP/369/lb-ft putting it at 79HP/L and 74lb-ft/L, and of course there is the crate 392 that produces 525HP and 510lb-ft.

I'm a fan of high specific output high winding V8's, just not in trucks. My 6.4L Jeep has significantly more towing grunt than my buddy's 5.0L F-150.

More like a intended leak to thwart Hyundai’s plans. That’s my guess. The big question is who is behind the leak? Great Wall?

Daimler didn't want it to work. All Daimler wanted to do was bleed the money from Chrysler.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
With apologies to Hyundai appliance lovers, this just turns my stomach.

Spoken by someone who has USA-1 as a signature.......

BTW-I love my $30,000.00 Hyundai Santa Fe XL "appliance". Saved Thousands over the competition. And I could have well afforded any of them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Miller88

Daimler didn't want it to work. All Daimler wanted to do was bleed the money from Chrysler.

By the time DB bought Chrysler, there was no more than dust to bleed.
Chrysler proved to be a deep money pit for DB which is the reason that they were anxious to part with their billions of dollars in investment in this loser for literally nothing.
A Canadian VC firm did make a few bucks and Fiat now finds itself stuck to this tar baby.
It might be that Fiat will get dragged down with this anchor around its neck and any potential buyer might just pick up the desired pieces on the cheap after bankruptcy.
Yes, it really is that bad for FCA and just wait for the next recession.
Of course, when that happens, there may be more valuable and viable entities available on the cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back