Many passionate American CEO's in office today like Lee Iacocca?

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Just speculation and I have not studied the subject, but casual observation suggests that Lee Iacocca's mission may have been to save Chrysler, and the seed of equivalent benefit would be to investors in Chrysler---- not to line his pockets regardless of how Chrysler performed. Observations suggests Lee was on a mission to prove his abilities in auto manufacturing, and not to ring his personal wallet register. Again, just casual speculation on my part. I know of no other American CEO with this perceived passion today. Seems most American CEOs have little care about America's ability to manufacture products for the home team.

In this Aug. 7, 1980, file photo, Chrysler Corp. Chairman Lee Iacocca with the first K Car, a Plymouth Reliant, in Detroit. Iacocca became a folk hero for rescuing the company. Lee Iacocca and Joe Czar (Production Manager at Right) drove the first K Car offline at the Chrysler Jefferson Plant. The Chrysler K platform was developed just as the company faltered in the market, underpinning a modest range of compact/mid-size sedans and wagons—and eventually underpinning nearly fifty different models, including all-wheel drive variants. The right car at the right time. They were initially very profitable, and Iacocca credited them with allowing the company to pay off its bankruptcy loans early.
Following the 1973 oil crisis, compounded by the 1979 energy crisis, American consumers began to buy fuel-efficient, low-cost automobiles built in Japan. With the market for large V-8 engined cars declining, American domestic auto manufacturers tried to develop compact vehicles that could compete with the Japanese imports of Toyota, Honda, and Nissan in price and finish. The K-cars (Dodge Aries, Plymouth Reliant, Chrysler LeBaron, Dodge 400, and, in Mexico, Dodge Dart) sold over 2 million vehicles from 1981 to 1988.

434171186_302245452888872_4482899385619461254_n.jpg

I did read Iacocca's autobiography over 40 years ago and though I can't remember everything about the book but, it was a very good read.
The dollar figures that he mentioned in his book were staggering. Dollar figures in regards to - design all the way to marketing, advertising, business travel, celebrities on the payroll, executive salaries etc.

He did save Chrysler and pulled them from bankruptcy and I did like the man himself, very much in fact. However, I fell into the trap of Lee's advertising:
"If you can find a better car, buy it!" slogan and I did buy some of the new Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth vehicles during the '80s and I can tell you from firsthand experience that the vehicles were rubbish. Worst vehicles I've ever owned from a repair perspective. They were the perfect example of vehicles that fell apart soon after you bought them.

But getting back to your point of doing the best for the company, he certainly did that. Keep in mind that he was indeed paid handsomely for his roll as CEO. And he has gone down in history for being a great leader and known for the development of some very successful cars. He was the right man at the right time in automotive history for sure.

Last edited:
He did save Chrysler and pulled them from bankruptcy and I did like the man himself, very much in fact. However, I fell into the trap of Lee's advertising:
"If you can find a better car, buy it!" slogan and I did buy some of the new Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth vehicles during the '80s and I can tell you from firsthand experience that the vehicles were rubbish. Worst vehicles I've ever owned from a repair perspective. They were the perfect example of vehicles that fell apart soon after you bought them.
I recall that in the late '80s, my employer purchased several Mopar K-cars (i.e., Dodge Aries/Plymouth Reliant) and Ford Tauruses as fleet vehicles. Everyone would select a Ford Taurus to drive over those cheaply made, unreliable Chrysler garbage vehicles after just one drive. As a "car guy", the one thing that has stuck with me is how the K-car doors always sagged after only ~10,000 miles on the odometer. Upon further inspection of the door hinges, I discovered why. The door hinge pins were cheaply made hollow roll pins instead of a solid pin! They would compress and start falling out of the hinge brackets because they weren't even captured at the top. The local dealerships would "repair" the hinge by replacing the deformed roll pin with a 3" cotter pin!!! 🤯 The K-car platform made it abundantly clear to me that Iococca's legacy was more about impeccable PR and marketing (focused on the "buy American" sentiment) than actual resurrection of quality in the auto industry. Here is a photo of the NOS hinge pins I found on eBay.

1712054034735.jpg

Last edited:
Iacocca was a car guy - spent his entire career at car companies.

The majority of CEO's at this point are finance people. They talk to Wall Street. They know little about the company they "run" and jump mostly from company to company until they become CEO.. I presume there not all that way, but many are.

I worked for a Fortune 500 company out of college almost 30 years ago. The CEO had been with the company 35 years. He had been groomed for the job no doubt - came from the right family, etc. But he had worked many real jobs in the company. Doubt that happens anymore.

Musk, for all he is hated here, is a visionary. Really the only one I can think of currently.

My MiL had a K car for two times forever without anything out of the ordinary for that period (when starters and alternators needed replacing) - she did drive fairly easy though …

I remember those cars well. The US Army bought a good number of them. I liked the looks and they seemed to do the job.

For me though, I rode in them as little as possible. The ones I rode in made me carsick like no other.

I have no idea what engine was in the one's we had, but I could not drive or ride in one.

Deuce and a half, Five tons, M113s, etc. - no issues at all. The K car was my nemesis for transportation.

His real innovation was the zero APR loan. At the time the prime rate was very high and with conventional financing even the best qualified customers had to pay 18% APR on car loans. The psychology of this was making most people keep their old cars as long as possible rather than considering buying a new one.

Reactions: hrv
Reality is K car contributed little to automotive world except saving a failing company for a while till next bailout.
This... While it did help keep Chrysler afloat in the near term, in the long run it and much of their contemporary offerings also continued the market share loss to the Japanese and, to a lesser extent, the European makes. But it did spawn that gem, the TC by Maserati!

The K-platform, while in the end maybe a lousy implementation - was a major concept shift from most US auto manufacturing in that it was modular - so the K-car and first Chrysler Mini-van were related, among other models. There was no minivan prior. The K-car was the starting point for it, the minivan, the lebaron, etc.

It did more than prolong Chrysler for a few years, it incentivized Mercedes to buy them in 1998. Unfortunately the Chrysler / US auto manufacturing culture was too hard headed to take the opportunity for improvement - so even Benz couldn't fix them.

I worked for a government agency that would buy 1 year old cars from rental fleets like Avis, etc. They always ended up getting K cars because they were so cheap. They were all underpowered, poor handling, flimsy pos's. They would replace them every 4 years because they would start falling apart by then. The only thing they bought that was worse than the K cars was the Ford Tempo. I would do anything to avoid driving the Tempo because they were so uncomfortable. It was like a godsend when they started buying the Ford Taurus.

Most Mega-Corp CEOs are there to destroy the company, get a fat check when they get the axe, then move on to the next company, rinse and repeat.

Prove me wrong.
Yes, which is why we should should keep this thread on track, not about K cars and today's buffoons, but who and what Lee Iacocca did to create a respectable legacy in the corporate world.

There are many excellent short reads about him: https://knowledge.wharton.upenn.edu/podcast/knowledge-at-wharton-podcast/lee-iacoccas-legacy/

I did not realize how big a part he played in the Ford Mustang development, the car my dad called "the poor man's sports car".

Dont forget the Ultra Drive transmission....a real POS....They knew there were big issues with it and still went ahead and used it...

Yes, which is why we should should keep this thread on track, not about K cars and today's buffoons, but who and what Lee Iacocca did to create a respectable legacy in the corporate world.

There are many excellent short reads about him: https://knowledge.wharton.upenn.edu/podcast/knowledge-at-wharton-podcast/lee-iacoccas-legacy/

I did not realize how big a part he played in the Ford Mustang development, the car my dad called "the poor man's sports car".

I was more or less too young to realize what Iacocca did for Chrylser at the time, didn't care really. I can respect him for what he did, but the company in general didn't care, it was just another example of why the US Taxpayers should let all of Detroit fail during the multiple times each one was bailed out in some form or fashion. I suspect we're about to see round 14 or 19 of that situation again, really soon.

Those big automakers in Detroit have no intent on making it by themselves, they've been bailed out so many times, not many pay attention anymore. Look at GM and Chrysler/Fiat/whoever they are called today. While there are some people like myself that vowed to never buy another GM product ever again in their life after 2008, very few saw the reason why we did. But look at human behavior in the streets today in the US and you don't have to think about it long....

To get back on topic, I'm not sure the current crop of CEOs in this country could figure their way out of a paper bag, but I don't think most of the population could, either. Again, look at human behavior in the streets today. I think the university systems have concentrated too much on a path of political indoctrination instead of wholesome education and learning, especially learning things the hard way. Your CEOs today are just like any celebrity or star of a sport, etc. - they are heavily financed since birth, they are sent to the ultimate boarding schools, they are in "business schools" in middle school, they are sent to high-grade business schools at the time of College, then sent to Ivy-League universities to get multiple graduate degrees.

IOW, they are groomed since birth, they know hardly anything outside an elite lifestyle, they have zero experience figuring things out during their 20's, 30's and 40's. Heck, most of them are some over-educated, do-nothing CEO or other C-suite officer by 35. Tell me how many second or third jobs they've worked so they could pay the power bill, buy groceries and save for a down payment by 35?

His real innovation was the zero APR loan. At the time the prime rate was very high and with conventional financing even the best qualified customers had to pay 18% APR on car loans. The psychology of this was making most people keep their old cars as long as possible rather than considering buying a new one.
Did he usher that in? I had been thinking it was something from the 2000's.

How could a company on the rocks afford to be a bank and charge zero % apr? seems like a lot of risk. Well, I guess that's one thing companies do well... and borrow money. Didn't know they had a banking arm like GM did (does?).

Long before my time! although I vaguely remember my father having a K car station wagon, had to be mid-80's I think.

I love these types of posts. I can always tell when someone has a really thought-out reply, they always say "meh." followed by a vague phrase and a link.

I know very well that the US is still an industrial/manufacturing powerhouse. It's how I make my living - in the industrial sector. I know that the average person in the US would be astonished at how much manufacturing/industrial work there is going on in the US today.

What does this have to do with poorly functioning CEOs of the US? Please don't tell me they are the backbone of the Industrial Sector.

Back