Cars might be making a comeback in an SUV-Dominated Market

I like the performance, but just can't get over the looks...
I often heard of my Buick - "wow, Volvo finally made a good looking wagon".
That Audi RS6 would be a great choice...but ever since our Alfa Stelvio, those top level brands are a turn off with difficulty of service.
I have to admit, I was also a bit enamored with the performance of a high powered EV. I have the Vette if I want to row my own, and enjoy the rumble.
My bride loves the quiet ride of the EV6, and my son loves the fun on the Interstate entrance ramps :)
Gee..
I thought it was a good looking car… shown here in its natural environment. Loveland Pass. Above 11,000’. The perfect car for that.

38733E3F-C1BB-4746-A796-6EEF29EAEC04.jpeg

Gee..
I thought it was a good looking car… shown here in its natural environment. Loveland Pass. Above 11,000’. The perfect car for that.

View attachment 153776

Been over that one a few times, but not nearly as many times as Hooser Pass (Breck is our favorite summertime destination, hiking 14'ers, exploring and off roading).

I think the front is fine...and even the wheels are classic, I just never was a fan of how square the backend was, or the tail lights...the lights alone are cringe to me. I would have to always park it so it was facing me when I walked back to my car, or I might find another way home ;-)

Last edited:
There was an article on the origin of the term "station wagon" - allegedly they were developed so the hired help could pick up the visiting guests and their luggage from the railway station.

I suppose in the UK they were more commonly used on rural properties to haul hunting dogs and so on. Perhaps one of our Brit BITOGers can help out here. @barryh?

In the UK we call them estate cars which was derived from the original purpose of transporting people and luggage between country estates and train stations, so a similar derivation to station wagon.

The popularity of estate cars is waning due to the growth of the SUV. And where did the SUV first gain popularity - with the Range Rover beloved of the landed gentry.

Been over that one a few times, but not nearly as many times as Hooser Pass (Breck is our favorite summertime destination, hiking 14'ers, exploring and off roading).

I think the front is fine...and even the wheels are classic, I just never was a fan of how square the backend was, or the tail lights...the lights alone are cringe to me. I would have to always park it so it was facing me when I walked back to my car, or I might find another way home ;-)
So, you're saying that Volvo wagons are usually showing you their tail lights?

I get that.

Most people are surprised by how quick a good turbo Volvo wagon can be... Certainly, the R is a beast at altitude, leaving lesser, normally aspirated, sports cars behind...

;)

In the UK we call them estate cars which was derived from the original purpose of transporting people and luggage between country estates and train stations, so a similar derivation to station wagon.

The popularity of estate cars is waning due to the growth of the SUV. And where did the SUV first gain popularity - with the Range Rover beloved of the landed gentry.
I prefer the handling of a car with the room of an SUV - in other words, a wagon/estate.

I'm not alone on BITOG.

Thats all right, Astro14. Paint looks real nice. Bet it is fun with 300hp.
Thanks - the Manual makes that car. It would be fun with an automatic like the T5 versions I have owned. But it's a whole different game with a manual.

I love the {my] sedans. SUVs are ok but .......Same with empty pick up trucks
Same. I am daily driving my truck again for the first time in years and I am tired of it after 2 months. I don't get the love for trucks. Such a big waste of space and money. I need it for home projects and weekend hauling but daily driving a big vehicle is not for me.

So, you're saying that Volvo wagons are usually showing you their tail lights?

I get that.

Most people are surprised by how quick a good turbo Volvo wagon can be... Certainly, the R is a beast at altitude, leaving lesser, normally aspirated, sports cars behind...

;)

My Buick had the 2.0L turbo that I had tuned up to 300hp/350ftlbs...so it wasn't shabby either ;-) I get your jab though :)

My EV6 isn't effected by altitude either...but it might take me a bit longer with the stops to charge to get out there to the Mountains. We usually only two stop our drive out to Denver. We learned we have to spend the night in Denver before hitting the higher altitudes, or we can get altitude sickness. At the speeds you can drive across NE, I'm sure it would take a few more stops in an electric to make the journey from IA.

Honestly though, we almost always take my bride's truck for the trails and 4WD. The altitude is one of the two main reasons we are trading her ZR2 in for the 2023 with the turbo-4. The 3.6 gets wheezy when you get high ;-) (NO pun intended, I don't go to Colorado for that).

I still think the Buick with sportier suspension, a 6 speed manual, and a Turbo 6 or SBC would be ideal for me!

sweden is the country of the world with most wagons. close to 30%. on looks alone my favorite wagon is the v90, but they stopped selling it in canada. we can only get the v90 cross country. in R design trim with the t6 engine, it was glorious. here is a 2022 v90 R design trim.

maxresdefault (1).jpg

Yep similar things happened in 2008 when gas prices went up, then again around 2012-14 when gas prices went up again. It's a cycle and I don't see the trend breaking anytime soon unfortunately.
This drives the automakers nuts trying to know what to design and gear up production for. They typically need a 3 to 5 year lead time for planning.

Gee..

View attachment 153776
That color doesn't do anything for that car-but then again my wife's car is the Silver-Grey, just like every other vehicle out there-it seems.

I'm in the "don't understand killing the Fusion" crowd. There are still everywhere. Just among my 5 kids there are 4 of them. Ford had to have been making money on them.

I love a good wagon as well, most Euro wagons are especailly good looking to my eye.

Reactions: Pew

I seem to like cars where the body follows function, so all that boxy cargo space looks great to me! That is one of my complaints with the Outback and almost all SUV's these days, why angle the rear window in so much but have a spoiler on top?, and why have the door 6" thick into the interior? The Focus rear door doesn't extend into the cargo space at all and the rear window goes from the end of the spoiler shape almost vertically as its free cargo space...
And the tail lights can't really be too big, especially these days... Hopefully the two towers of red helps catch the eye of the texter behind you....

CLICK HERE FOR THE FULL STORY

It isn’t quite a comeback yet, but things may actually be looking up for car sales. A new report from Automotive News shows that cars have held — and even won back — some market share in the U.S. that has been held by bigger vehicles. Before we go any further when I say “cars,” I’m talking about sedans, coupes, convertibles, hatchbacks and sports cars, all of which tend to be cheaper than their SUV counterparts (that’s important).
I like sedans, so I drive one. I wanted a hybrid, so I bought one.
People are herd oriented. If most of the herd drives SUVs or half ton pickups, then most folks think they should too, just to fit in.
It may be that more people are thinking more in terms of daily use functionality and less about fitting in.
Maybe only a reaction to higher gas prices,

My GTI is like a small station wagon. Seating for 5 (the three in the back seat would be crowded) and a good amount of space in the hatch. I've gotten a lot of bigger stuff in there.

Cars have always been cool...hope the trend continues.

it is still alive in europe. 2023 ford focus st. with the good ole 2.3 engine good for 276hp and 310tq. fwd. in either a 6 speed manual or 7 speed dual clutch configuration. ford still make cool cars. north americans are simply not interested. i would love to own one of these things.

my22-ford-focus-st-08.jpg

Back