Hyundai in talks to buy Fiat Chrysler

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd love to see a timeline of Chrysler ownership.

Chrysler then DiamlerChrysler then FCA. What juices did DiamlerChrysler suck out of Chrysler?

I saw a MB E320 wagon and the engine was my cousin's 3.6l V-6. Friends said, 'No way. Merger cars had MB engines"

I concluded my friends are wacky.

Originally Posted By: KJSmith
Hyudia is Korean.

Everyone who has bought Chrysler so far has regretted it.

Mind you the ones to buy they were also not known for their reliability either. Hyundai/Kia is good car company I recommend and have several family members buy one off my recommendation.

But makes me wonder if they did buy what would they do with it? As said it would have to be for the Ram/Jeep to expand their truck/SUV line. I can't see any other good thing that may work. Even then it would be a costly purchase and take a lot of time to intermix the lines.

I would buy Chrysler, Keep Jeep and Ram, make a new jeep model "retro" bring back the hood ornament on "Dodge" trucks, and open a new division "Eagle" and compete aggressively against Subaru AWD system. Subaru has a market cornered ripe for a competitor.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
Subaru has a market cornered ripe for a competitor.

Anybody who tries to compete directly with Subaru in their space is going to have a VERY hard time taking Subaru's loyal customers away from them.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
The Jeep and Ram brand is making a lot of money for Chrysler. I just wish it was Ford or GM in a bidding war for them.

Agreed. Not sure if that would fly given the effect on some markets, e.g. full size trucks, but that's for the courts.

I'd suspect that Hyundai wants them to gain an entry into the low cost full size truck market, some more SUV, and they have had past alignment with smaller engines.

I'd suspect there's also a decent carrot in therms of Euro market share for Fiat and other related vehicle brands over there.

Chinese and a Indian makes are too downmarket for most of the world. Hyundai has an opportunity as they're just downmarket enough/subsidized/whatever enough to offer cheap cars, yet be accepted in the market.

You've summed up my thoughts exactly.

OT, can you imagine a Genesis with the HellCat mill?
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: wag123
Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
Subaru has a market cornered ripe for a competitor.

Anybody who tries to compete directly with Subaru in their space is going to have a VERY hard time taking Subaru's loyal customers away from them.

Subaru is part of the Toyota family.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Charger, Challenger, Demon, Hemi engine, 707 HP : All American Icons.

All Glory is Fleeting.

Sooooo, please enlighten me here. If Hyundai does purchase FC will current RAM and Jeep dealers retain the right to continue selling the brand, or would the current Hyundai dealers add RAM/Jeep to their lots?

I could see this killing current Chrysler dealerships.

I don’t think the Ram and Jeep brands would go away, in particular the Jeep brand. Jeep has a consistent loyal owner base. The other brands like Chrysler would whither as they are doing now. The biggest reason for FCA sales is sentiment. The Challenger, the hemi, Jeep, all based on sentiment and nostalgia. There is that niche but it’s a fluid one and 10-20 years from now when the boomers are gone the new generation will have their own nostalgia and these brands are not part of it.

I guess anything can happen once the company changes hands. They don't give a rats rear about what happens to the dealers, just look at Pontiac, Mercury, Plymouth and Saturn dealers. Gone in an instant.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I guess anything can happen once the company changes hands. They don't give a rats rear about what happens to the dealers, just look at Pontiac, Mercury, Plymouth and Saturn dealers. Gone in an instant.

From a business standpoint it made no sense to have all of those duplicate dealerships. The current trend is now going to larger mega dealerships. Whether that is good or bad remains to be seen.

This should be seen as defensive move on Hyundai's part to prevent a Chinese entity gaining instant access to the North American and European markets.
The Jeep brand does have considerable value while the Ram brand has at least some.
FCA does also have one really good RWD car platform, courtesy of DB.
Fiat would be of considerable value in the European market.
All in all this would be a good deal for Hyundai although one they'd probably pass on were it not for the Chinese and maybe the Indians.
Let's not forget that Ford shed some old-world prestige makes to both Indian and Chinese concerns and their down-market orientations remain concealed behind old-school luxury brand names.

I heard that Fiat is going to acquire Subaru to gain a foothold on the small awd market. They will then immediately add steer horns on the hood and curb feelers to go along with the CVT transmissions in making Subarus world class!

'Twas said above...."Charger, Challenger, Demon, Hemi engine, 707 HP : All American Icons."

To some degree.
How many people OWN a 707 HP FCA vehicle? Demon (the old Plymouth Duster?) and 707 are still in the "mere hype" stage of their lives.

The mini-van and Simca based Omni & Horizon were Chryslers last innovations.....maybe the K car too.

One trouble is that no company can hype their technology in ads.
Hybrid and electric cars can't be described to consumers and that's where the industry is headed.

It'd be SO COOL if FCA put out improved quality cars and let the longevity do the talking.

All this corporate changing-of-hands is for them not us.

Originally Posted By: Kira
FCA put out improved quality cars and let the longevity do the talking

Originally Posted By: Kira
FCA put out improved quality cars and let the longevity do the talking

Fiat and quality do not belong in the same sentence. rust bucket, rolling commode, unreliable, scrap metal, etc okay but not quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back