Hyundai dealership maint pkg - Performax oil filte

Status
Not open for further replies.
We use nothing but the knockoff PRIME GUARD filters on all Kia and Hyundai at work. Haven't had issues yet. I personally would feel more comfy with that or oem/on vehicle. I dislike that quick lived, etc "consolidate" or using smaller filters also

Originally Posted By: wemay
*UPDATE*
I contacted HyundaiUSA yesterday afternoon and they advised "dealerships should only be using OEM oil filters." They would not share, understandably, if any course of action would take place regarding this particular dealership but asked i return and request an OEM filter replace the current one. I also asked about aftermarket filters in general. They had no comment and advised that that was the customer's choice, but the dealerships should be using OEM.

I felt uneasy all night and just changed the oil and filter this morning myself. I'll donate the oil to the guy who cuts our lawn for his equipment. Hopefully when i go back for the free tire rotations, i don't get flack.

Real soon you're going to be hearing from your dealer you need to use our tires, our oil, our fuel, our car polish. No wemay your car will be just fine and its backed by years of history. Besides you didn't see that information in your users manual did you?

Last edited:
*UPDATE*
I contacted HyundaiUSA yesterday afternoon and they advised "dealerships should only be using OEM oil filters." They would not share, understandably, if any course of action would take place regarding this particular dealership but asked i return and request an OEM filter replace the current one. I also asked about aftermarket filters in general. They had no comment and advised that that was the customer's choice, but the dealerships should be using OEM.

I felt uneasy all night and just changed the oil and filter this morning myself. I'll donate the oil to the guy who cuts our lawn for his equipment. Hopefully when i go back for the free tire rotations, i don't get flack.

That would be the proper response from Hyundai corporate. The dealership is trying to squeeze a bit more profit out of the oil changes by using the Pennzoil jobber filters. Our local Hyundai and KIA dealerships use only OE filters on Hyundai and KIA vehicles. I’m glad you are more at ease, now.

*UPDATE*

Interesting. So it would seem that the dealers initial spiel thought that using the PO-37 was correctly noted as most about saving money. Also not at all surprised Hyun/USA took a very dim view of using the jobber filter. However calling those company customer service lines, ime one is going to get the strict company line, word for word as from a script. Iirc there is an older Hyun thread on PCMO about calling and them saying one should not use 0w30 oil where 5w30 is spec in the owners manual.

However, Hyun silence on whether anything would happen to the dealership and about using aftermarket filters also speaks volumes. If they had any guts and/or leverage over the dealership, a call by them (Hyun) would have been initiated to the dealership ASAP and you told you have a free oil and filter change using the OEM filter waiting. Imo, absolutely nothing will happen to the dealership and they will continue to use the jobber filter for their "free" maintenance contracts.

Again, I believe the dealer oil and filter change would have been fine for intended oci. If truly that concerned I might have changed the filter only and topped off the oil. However, your vehicle your call. I expect you saw the noted difference in size between the PO-37 and the OEM.

Good luck getting your dealership to include the OEM filter in future as part of your free maintenance package.

As an aside, been an interesting thread to watch evolve.

Hi all,
I was actually advised that the balance of my free changes will be honored at any Hyundai dealership if i felt uncomfortable returning to the one in question. I went out and bought an L14612 (same size as PO-37) to compare to OEM sized L14459...

As Sayjac mentioned a couple times, the size difference is rather large.

Originally Posted By: car51
We use nothing but the knockoff PRIME GUARD filters on all Kia and Hyundai at work. Haven't had issues yet. I personally would feel more comfy with that or oem/on vehicle. I dislike that quick lived, etc "consolidate" or using smaller filters also

Hi car51,

When looking up filters for my car on the Prime Guard website (they don't show Sonata for 2017 but '16 is the same), the filter shown is also a 4612HK. Isn't this the same consolidated filter size as shown in the picture i provided for Puro L4612? Don't get me wrong, i don't doubt these filters work just fine, just wondering since you're on the front lines. My reason for changing out the oil and filter had more to do with the bad taste in my mouth this entire affair left with me. In the past, i've used quick lube Valvoline who used a V0-6 and i believe that is also a consolidated (one size down) filter.

Wemay: it's all good.

I guess what I want to say is I'd use this filter or OEM instead of "smaller size" filter as we got lots towed back with knocking or blown engines with the smaller filters of quick lube stupidity. Hope this helps
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: car51
Wemay: it's all good.

I guess what I want to say is I'd use this filter or OEM instead of "smaller size" filter as we got lots towed back with knocking or blown engines with the smaller filters of quick lube stupidity. Hope this helps
smile.gif

thumbsup2.gif

Somewhat frazzled by all of this... i just ordered OEM filters off of Amazon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back