Oil filters Hyundai 35505 vs and Canadian Tire OE plus oil filters

Ran a Genuine Hyundai filter [$12] in my 2016 Elantra GT [130,000 mi] and a CT OE plus filter [$10] in my 2011 Elantra Touring [165,000 mi]. Both for apox 11.500 miles and two oil changes. Took them apart to compare and see how they did. Neither one had carbon or dirt sitting in the bottom of the can but the filter media had trapped some. The filter media in both filters appears to be the same thickness and the same height but the length of media is the Hyundai filter is much longer...82" vs 54.5" in the CT OEplus filter. The Canadian Tire OE plus filter is marketed as a little up scale but it's doesn't seem to hold true.

Hyundai on the left, CT on the right. Looks like both filers caught some carbon and debris.
SDC10354a.JPG
SDC10347a.JPG
SDC10349a.JPG
SDC10352a.JPG
SDC10353a.JPG
SDC10355a.JPG
SDC10357a.JPG

Ran a Genuine Hyundai filter [$12] in my 2016 Elantra GT [130,000 mi] and a CT OE plus filter [$10] in my 2011 Elantra Touring ... ...The filter media in both filters appears to be the same thickness and the same height but the length of media is the Hyundai filter is much longer...82" vs 54.5" in the CT OEplus filter. The Canadian Tire OE plus filter is marketed as a little up scale but it's doesn't seem to hold true.

Hyundai on the left, CT on the right. Looks like both filers caught some carbon and debris.
View attachment 187393
Great job! W.E. I have been saying for years the E-core filters will have much less media area as the core tube is much larger diameter than typical and the folded pleats will be shallow. Under 100 sq in is marginal to inadequate in these tiny filters with 30 grade oil in sub freezing temps, 100 sq inchs sounds 'big" but it is only the size of a std typing paper! Try to force a gooey honey through at many gallons per min and guess what ? The bypass poppet is open or risk tearing pleats.
Thanks for laying out the media! - Ken

Great job! W.E. I have been saying for years the E-core filters will have much less media area as the core tube is much larger diameter than typical and the folded pleats will be shallow. Under 100 sq in is marginal to inadequate in these tiny filters with 30 grade oil in sub freezing temps, 100 sq inchs sounds 'big" but it is only the size of a std typing paper! Try to force a gooey honey through at many gallons per min and guess what ? The bypass poppet is open or risk tearing pleats.
Thanks for laying out the media! - Ken
I think you might be overstating the risk a little bit, both of those filters look fine to me and appear to have performed well.
That said, I personally wouldn't choose to run either of those filters for 11,500 miles. That's just me. Cheers

Lots of filtering material is nice, but really, there’s hardly ever many particles on the filter, and for those who change filters with every OCI, it’s overkill. Theoretically it would lower the pressure drop in the filter a bit but I don’t see that being a big advantage. It’s just another one of those nice things for Bitoggers.

Reactions: Yuk
Lots of filtering material is nice, but really, there’s hardly ever many particles on the filter, and for those who change filters with every OCI, it’s overkill. Theoretically it would lower the pressure drop in the filter a bit but I don’t see that being a big advantage. It’s just another one of those nice things for Bitoggers.

For the average Hyundai owner it's a lifesaver.

Back