'21 Hyundai Tucson oil and filter.

In the morning I'm doing an oil change on future daughter-in-laws '21 Tucson SE AWD. It has 17,700 miles on it and the 2.0L GDI, no turbo. My plan right now is to use PP 5W-30 Euro L. Manual recommends 5W-20 for best fuel economy (and what is on the cap). Manual also lists 5W-30 for the same temperature ranges and 10W-30 if above 0F. I think I might go to Autozone and get the Hyundai filter since dealer parts is not open tomorrow and they show in stock. Otherwise it will be Fram FE9688. I couldn't find the specs for the Hyundai filter. Many discussions on the fear factor, Magnussen-Moss etc. I know from my Sonata and my sons Forte that the Hyundai/Kia filters are solid built, but again I couldn't find filtering specs.

I know the Hyundai motors have a bad reputation and maybe nothing helps but better MOFT to me would make sense.

When I went to find her oil life MM the only thing I found was that you could set a reminder for a mileage and months. Hers is currently set to 6000 miles and 12 months. It does not adjust for driving conditions. She falls under the severe service (3750 miles) because she works 5 miles from the house, 5 days per week, not even great warm up time. I want to pull a sample and send to the lab to get tested for dilution. I only have Blackstone kits but seems many recommend using Oil Analyzers instead.

Her and my son are taking a road trip early Monday AM so need to get it done tomorrow. My only thought on sticking with factory filter is one less thing to argue if issues and their pockets are deeper. I'd hate to buy more oil as I have like 5-6 jugs of PP 5W-20 but I'd rather have a new receipt to keep with her files. I also need to get history invoices from her parents or the shop they were going to so I have them.

Last oil change was December 2022 so I need to shorten the months and miles for future but 3750 just seems so short for good oil.

I gave it a mini detail on Saturday, wash/clay mitt/TW Hybrid Ceramic wax.
IMG_3849.jpg

The factory OCI is fine, she'll probably hit 5k by that time anyway which is what I would expect. Then again they may take lots of weekend trips!

If you have 5w20 on hand use it just pick up a fram tough guard or the oe filter from auto zone as mentioned. I wouldn't over think this too much. Euro oil isn't necessary.. Car looks great!
Only reason I want to buy new is to have a new receipt to take pictures of and keep with files.

Understandable, it won’t hurt this time around keep that filter receipt and if it’s a spin on job write the date and mileage at the time of change on the filter casing. Not many people would go through that hassle and not change the oil… at least I wouldn’t. 🙄😉

I don't trust hyundai so I have the oil changed at a place that puts the entry into a Carfax, and I save the receipt.

I have a 2017 and have been taking it to Valvoline for Maxlife 5w30 every 3750 miles.

Yep, I have the same garbage engine and change that oil with quality synthetic every 3k. My latest venture with a Fram filter (silicone ADBV) produced cold startup clatter.

Use Purolator, Champ XL, AC Delco instead. Use 5w30 in winter and either 10w30 SP or Ow40 SP, in the summer.
In the $30 price range, Mobil-1 EP whenever possible. Amsoil or HPL oils for all Hyunkia four cylinder engines, when a wallet allows it

There's no saving these junk engines. But a good, quality oil will allow the mileage number on your dash to advance to a higher number and last longer, before imploding, most times from soft metallurgic rod bearings

So you can pay a little more for good oils every year - do more oil changes than in the past, or have the junkyard piper pay you a few dollars for your junk Hyunkia body & broken engine, sooner than you expected..

Last edited:
Just traded in my wife’s 2019 Tucson with same engine. Definitely was losing oil. Had 44K on it. Used OEM filters and Mobil 1, then Castrol Edge then Pennzoil platinum. Didn’t matter. Oil level was half way down dipstick after 1,000 miles. OCI was every 3750. Oil was 5W-30. Never again.

My sons 2019 Santa Fe with the 2.4 doesn’t lose any oil and the 2012 Santa Fe we had didn’t either. The Kia Rio didn’t until 100K. Now it drinks oil.

Just got a 2024 Mazda CX-5. She loves it. Hope the oil stays in the engine with this one.

Last edited:
Yep, I have the same garbage engine and change that oil with quality synthetic every 3k. My latest venture with a Fram filter (silicone ADBV) produced cold startup clatter.
Which Fram did you use? AZ didn't actually have the Hyundai one at 3 stores close. I went to one, they called the others.

So PP EL 5W-30 and FE9688 it is.

OK so OC is done. I pulled 2 samples so I can send to Blackstone and Oil Analyzers.

The oil was dirty and definitely had a fuel smell to it. I need to go by the shop they use and get the last invoice but this was from the first OC at about 1 year and 5225 miles. Comments in it Overdue, Dirty, 1/4 qt low? I don't know what was checked when during that year. That was factory fill maybe 13 months.

Vehicle takes 4.23 qts according to manual. Shop used 4.5qts on first OCI, probably the same on last one which shouldn't be an issue. The dipstick when I checked a couple times this past year was over the "full" mark. With what was held in motor, filter, an my samples, I still got about 4.25qts out? Filter was NAPA ProSelect made by Mann+Hummel same as factory Hyundai one and takes the same oil filter cap/wrench.

The valve cover oil fill has a black metal cover so you can't see any shiny happy motor parts through it. :((n)
Tuscon oil change.png

IMG_3870.jpg

IMG_3866.jpg

IMG_3867.jpg

IMG_3871.jpg

Which Fram did you use?

Urshurak
Our Hyundai 2.4 uses no oil.
If I don't run 0w/5w40, our 2.0 MPI - use started at 18k until now at almost 34k, removes about 3/4 quart in only 3k.

It's the wife's ride. She picked it out new at the dealership and now won't sell it / trade it-in.
I call it our Sewing Machine and if Amsoil Euro 0w30 fails to stop oil loss, I'll go back to Mobil-1 0w40 winter and 5w40 Quaker State Euro in summer..

Last edited:
PH, TG, XG, FS or FE?

I had that clatter way back on my old '93 Corolla. Filter sat sideways on front of motor. Never new the cause or potential until one day I used a factory filter again and noise was gone. I stuck with the factory Toyota after that.

I don't know if I have as many concerns with the the ones that mount almost straight at bottom of motor. The only 2 that I removed cold after sitting were both full and I got oil draining from the center of threaded return. That was on 2 of my Hondas but the filter sits lower than on the Hyundai. I'll have to keep an ear out for it.

Would a bad ADBV cause issues besides maybe back flushing some contaminants from the filter?

In the morning I'm doing an oil change on future daughter-in-laws '21 Tucson SE AWD. It has 17,700 miles on it and the 2.0L GDI, no turbo. My plan right now is to use PP 5W-30 Euro L. Manual recommends 5W-20 for best fuel economy (and what is on the cap). Manual also lists 5W-30 for the same temperature ranges and 10W-30 if above 0F. I think I might go to Autozone and get the Hyundai filter since dealer parts is not open tomorrow and they show in stock. Otherwise it will be Fram FE9688. I couldn't find the specs for the Hyundai filter. Many discussions on the fear factor, Magnussen-Moss etc. I know from my Sonata and my sons Forte that the Hyundai/Kia filters are solid built, but again I couldn't find filtering specs.

I know the Hyundai motors have a bad reputation and maybe nothing helps but better MOFT to me would make sense.

When I went to find her oil life MM the only thing I found was that you could set a reminder for a mileage and months. Hers is currently set to 6000 miles and 12 months. It does not adjust for driving conditions. She falls under the severe service (3750 miles) because she works 5 miles from the house, 5 days per week, not even great warm up time. I want to pull a sample and send to the lab to get tested for dilution. I only have Blackstone kits but seems many recommend using Oil Analyzers instead.

Her and my son are taking a road trip early Monday AM so need to get it done tomorrow. My only thought on sticking with factory filter is one less thing to argue if issues and their pockets are deeper. I'd hate to buy more oil as I have like 5-6 jugs of PP 5W-20 but I'd rather have a new receipt to keep with her files. I also need to get history invoices from her parents or the shop they were going to so I have them.

Last oil change was December 2022 so I need to shorten the months and miles for future but 3750 just seems so short for good oil.

I gave it a mini detail on Saturday, wash/clay mitt/TW Hybrid Ceramic wax.
View attachment 186855
Short tripped DI hundai engine.

With our santa fe I do 6 months or 5k kms.
We also short trip.
Oil gets very gassy quickly.

It's the short trip driving that will brat up your oil.

Short tripped DI hundai engine.

With our santa fe I do 6 months or 5k kms.
We also short trip.
Oil gets very gassy quickly.

It's the short trip driving that will brat up your oil
Not sure how to reply with a "like" choice. I like the info and reply, angry at what the motor is doing.

Urshurak
Our Hyundai 2.4 uses no oil.
If I don't run 0w/5w40, our 2.0 MPI - use started at 18k until now at almost 34k, removes about 3/4 quart in only 3k.

It's the wife's ride. She picked it out new at the dealership and now won't sell it / trade it-in.
I call it our Sewing Machine and if Amsoil Euro 0w30 fails to stop oil loss, I'll go back to Mobil-1 0w40 winter and 5w40 Quaker State Euro in summer..
I was very happy to get rid of this engine.

Owned two of the 2.4’s and never had a problem. Oil level stays rock solid full entire OCI.

Hoping wife’s new Mazda CX-5 stays same way!

I passed by the shop to get the printout. They use Kendall GT-1 for their Synthetic Blend. The oil change was only $40.42 with the NAPA filter listing $10.95 and 20 minutes of shop time. They are a local small business and do report all maintenance to Carfax which not all do.

They did charge $80 for the cabin filter installed which I had to fix because a bunch of leaves fell in and making crazy noise. :(

This OCI was 10 months and 5220 miles. Waiting for my Oil Analyzers kits so I can send in samples for testing.

I passed by the shop to get the printout. They use Kendall GT-1 for their Synthetic Blend. The oil change was only $40.42 with the NAPA filter listing $10.95 and 20 minutes of shop time. They are a local small business and do report all maintenance to Carfax which not all do.

They did charge $80 for the cabin filter installed which I had to fix because a bunch of leaves fell in and making crazy noise. :(

This OCI was 10 months and 5220 miles. Waiting for my Oil Analyzers kits so I can send in samples for testing.
Don't use Blackstone if you want accurate fuel dilution results plus buying kits from Amsoil is way cheaper.

Back