Hyundai dealership maint pkg - Performax oil filte

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Information I provided was 'strictly' done for information purposes only. No other intent, including the other discussion you mention.

thumbsup2.gif

Quote:
..The filter above does not look like a Puro made filter to me.....

Looks exactly like a Puro made filter to me. Only missing confirming item is the Puro flat spring bypass design used on Puro 14612/14610, not shown in pics. Shown here.

x0zehh.jpg

Ahh, OK.

The Center tube with holes threw me. That is a Puro bypass for sure.

Originally Posted By: wemay
... I'm also not, nor have i ever been anti-Purolator. But that's a discussion for another day.

You will when you have one like this:

full-4879-7369-12.jpg

Or this:

xcvlzb.jpg

These were both PZ-37 filters from Hyundai motors (although both were in use over 10,000 miles)

Thanks for the images as well as putting it in context by sharing the mileage. I won't be going past 5,000 miles, and I've seen the C&P threads showing tears, but i still assert the vast majority of Puros perform as expected. Others on here disagree but that's why we have a forum...and choice.
wink.gif

I've cut open more Hyundai/Kia 504's than any other filter, and have had yet to find a single one that wasn't solid as a rock. The Hyundai/Kia OEM filters are the only filters I would ever use other than a white K&N, and the reasons are as follows:

-K&N cans are also built stoutly.
-K&N will provide flow rates if asked, and the Hyundai/Kia "aftermarket filter issues" were rooted in insufficient flow rates in jobber filters.
-I like K&N as a company, which is an entirely personal appraisal, I understand this...
-OEM H/K filters have about the most repeatable quality (great quality) I've ever seen in an oil filter.
-I work for a Kia dealer, so I get 504's pretty cheap. So I use them on my zero turn mower. The oil filter on the mower is in a vulnerable spot on the mower, hanging basically off the back end, so it sees lots of impact abuse. Nothing seems to hurt it. It gets hit by gravel, hits things when you back into them (trees) and I mow the woods with this mower as well. Who knows what hits the thing, but it never dents. When I first got the mower I used Wix or Fram filters on it and every other mowing there would be a dent in the oil filter. This condition was put to rest using a H/K 504.
-

Maybe I should start posting the H/K 504's I cut up at work. I usually get curious on the super high mileage ones, I like seeing inside the 10k plus filters. I never take pictures of the 504's because there's nothing to see...

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
I have no idea why someone would say these are made in China - all info I've seen shows Made in USA by Purolator for Shell.

Because the first set of pics shows a filter with round inlet holes (instead of the normal oval Purolator) as well as a center tube with holes (instead of the normal louvered Purolator).
Those designs tend to be the made in China filters, not Purolator. The pic showing the bypass valve spring is what shows (to me) it is a Purolator. Made in China filters tend to have the button type.

Good way of determining it's Purolator made is the date code format. Photos posted sure look like Purolator DNA. Didn't see any date code in any photos to solidify the ID.

Purolator used center tubes with round holes before switching to louvered center tubes. My PSL24651 filters in my stash from 2014 are a prime example.

There have been other c&p threads of Performax oil filters here that did show the date code as Purolator style, and subsequently decoded, that the picture links have been broken since.

LINK

Some memories are shorter than others.

Here's one with an intact date code pic

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3354951

Last edited:
Though it took a while, this thread further jogged my memory about Performax filters. Back in October I posted a c&p of one used one a GM application at ~6k mile oci installed at Jiffy Lube. It uses the newer louvered centertube which in all likelihood the topic PO-37 now uses too. As you can see in the link*, element itself, media and louvers look quite good. The one negative in the link, the adbv to baseplate configuration. However, the topic PO-37 uses a different set up that isn't prone to the same adbv indentions or cutting.

Agree that for 5k mile oci, should be fine. As for Pennzoil/PZ OF 10k+ mile oci/fci anecdotes presented, while 'not' excusing the results, 'IMO' these jobber tier filters are not designed for extended ocis.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4559360/Performax/JiffyLube_~6200mi._c

Agree that for 5k mile oci, should be fine. As for Pennzoil/PZ OF 10k+ mile oci/fci anecdotes presented, while 'not' excusing the results, 'IMO' these jobber tier filters are not designed for extended ocis.

I agree, the is why I make sure that I always post they were used for 10K +, they are outliers, but still, many similar filters last the distance that these fail at (with other Puro filters failing in a similar fashion @ the 5000 or less mile mark).

Still does not excuse the use of a cheap filter at a dealer.

Originally Posted By: blupupher

I agree, the is why I make sure that I always post they were used for 10K +, they are outliers, but still, many similar filters last the distance that these fail at (with other Puro filters failing in a similar fashion @ the 5000 or less mile mark).

Still does not excuse the use of a cheap filter at a dealer.

Yeah, the dealership where I have my Hyundai serviced pushes the OEM filter, so I find it strange that any dealership would install anything else, especially a consolidated filter that a quick oil change shop would use. When I have used Mobil 1, NAPA Gold, FRAM Ultra, etc, oil filters, the dealership advised against it (which I disregarded that advice because I know these filters work fine on my Hyundai).

Originally Posted By: blupupher
I agree, the is why I make sure that I always post they were used for 10K +, they are outliers, but still, many similar filters last the distance that these fail at ...

If a filter can't take the bypass valve setting delta-p all day long without failure then it's not a very well designed and/or constructed filter.

The filter used is warrantied for the full 7500 mile normal Hyundai OCI.

Originally Posted By: Tony10s
... Yeah, the dealership where I have my Hyundai serviced pushes the OEM filter, so I find it strange that any dealership would install anything else, especially a consolidated filter that a quick oil change shop would use. When I have used Mobil 1, NAPA Gold, FRAM Ultra, etc, oil filters, the dealership advised against it (which I disregarded that advice because I know these filters work fine on my Hyundai).

As I see it the difference here is the PO-37 jobber used here is part of a "free" oil and filter change maintenance package that came with the car. If one was to go to OP's dealership and ask 'to buy' a filter for the vehicle, the H/K oem would be what they would sell you. No doubt. However, cost saving with quick lube/quick lane type changes is paramount. I expect that if the OP wanted to pay extra, he could get the H/K oem used with his oil and filter changes.

As for whether it's right or wrong to use Performax OF, not my purpose here. To use a common cliché now, it is what it is. If the dealership didn't state that an H/K oem would be used with the package then technically they've broken no contract. And fwiw, the PO-37 is covered by filter warranty and vehicle warranty as installed by a dealer.

Bottom line, as long as the OP is content with the filter, really all that matters. And as noted several times, for the intended 5k mi. oci, the topic PO-37 should be fine.

Originally Posted By: Tony10s
... Yeah, the dealership where I have my Hyundai serviced pushes the OEM filter, so I find it strange that any dealership would install anything else, especially a consolidated filter that a quick oil change shop would use. When I have used Mobil 1, NAPA Gold, FRAM Ultra, etc, oil filters, the dealership advised against it (which I disregarded that advice because I know these filters work fine on my Hyundai).

As I see it the difference here is the PO-37 jobber used here is part of a "free" oil and filter change maintenance package that came with the car. If one was to go to OP's dealership and ask 'to buy' a filter for the vehicle, the H/K oem would be what they would sell you. No doubt. However, cost saving with quick lube/quick lane type changes is paramount. I expect that if the OP wanted to pay extra, he could get the H/K oem used with his oil and filter changes.

As for whether it's right or wrong to use Performax OF, not my purpose here. To use a common cliché now, it is what it is. If the dealership didn't state that an H/K oem would be used with the package then technically they've broken no contract. And fwiw, the PO-37 is covered by filter warranty and vehicle warranty as installed by a dealer.

Bottom line, as long as the OP is content with the filter, really all that matters. And as noted several times, for the intended 5k mi. oci, the topic PO-37 should be fine.

As I stated in my post, the dealership where I have my Hyundai serviced strongly advises against using any oil filter other than the OEM filter. So, it would be a big surprise to me if they installed a Performax filter on anyone's car under any circumstances, including a free oil change. In fact, they have stated to me a number of times that using aftermarket filters may cause engine noise and possibly engine damage (however, I have used various aftermarket filters with no problems).

I'm sure the Performax filter is fine, and it goes without saying that if the OP is okay with it, then that's all that matters.

*UPDATE*
I contacted HyundaiUSA yesterday afternoon and they advised "dealerships should only be using OEM oil filters." They would not share, understandably, if any course of action would take place regarding this particular dealership but asked i return and request an OEM filter replace the current one. I also asked about aftermarket filters in general. They had no comment and advised that that was the customer's choice, but the dealerships should be using OEM.

I felt uneasy all night and just changed the oil and filter this morning myself. I'll donate the oil to the guy who cuts our lawn for his equipment. Hopefully when i go back for the free tire rotations, i don't get flack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back