'21 Hyundai Tucson oil and filter.

Got two good Hyundai engines out of two cars. I'm lucky.

And don't worry about having to have a Hyundai filter. Just use a good one.

Don't use Blackstone if you want accurate fuel dilution results plus buying kits from Amsoil is way cheaper.
I'm sending to both to see what they both come back with.

I had only used Blackstone for all my tests over the years. I never knew there was any issues with their testing. The Pilot was the first one that ever came back with fuel dilution. Now I wonder how bad that actually was if theirs is low or inaccurate.

I only have the one test Blackstone did on the Pilot and I don't have anymore of that oil to send to OA. All my trends from other vehicles I tested, the vehicles are all gone. So no issue using Oil Analyzers to start new ones.

Got two good Hyundai engines out of two cars. I'm lucky.

And don't worry about having to have a Hyundai filter. Just use a good one.
2008 Hyundai Accent 1.6L 5 sp manual hatchback
2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe Track 2L Turbo 6sp manual

HyunKia engine troubles started 2011-2012, mainly with the Theta 2s TGDIs & GDIs.

Not blaming robots. Just blaming the cheap metals used inside those engines and some terrible, S. Korean engineering.

I'm done with this. That Kia will be stuck in our driveway for many years to come. Stubborn wife to blame. My Hyundai is on it's way out. I just need to tell myself that the Honda CRV or Toyota RAV4 non-GDIs I want next, is going to cost a few grand above sticker price (out the door). I've purchased eight new vehicles so far. Never paid more out the door than two grand below sticker price.

So the wait continues........maybe forever. I have the money, but I'm not paying top dollar for my upcoming new ride from Japan.

Last edited:
In the morning I'm doing an oil change on future daughter-in-laws '21 Tucson SE AWD. It has 17,700 miles on it and the 2.0L GDI, no turbo. My plan right now is to use PP 5W-30 Euro L. Manual recommends 5W-20 for best fuel economy (and what is on the cap). Manual also lists 5W-30 for the same temperature ranges and 10W-30 if above 0F. I think I might go to Autozone and get the Hyundai filter since dealer parts is not open tomorrow and they show in stock. Otherwise it will be Fram FE9688. I couldn't find the specs for the Hyundai filter. Many discussions on the fear factor, Magnussen-Moss etc. I know from my Sonata and my sons Forte that the Hyundai/Kia filters are solid built, but again I couldn't find filtering specs.

I know the Hyundai motors have a bad reputation and maybe nothing helps but better MOFT to me would make sense.

When I went to find her oil life MM the only thing I found was that you could set a reminder for a mileage and months. Hers is currently set to 6000 miles and 12 months. It does not adjust for driving conditions. She falls under the severe service (3750 miles) because she works 5 miles from the house, 5 days per week, not even great warm up time. I want to pull a sample and send to the lab to get tested for dilution. I only have Blackstone kits but seems many recommend using Oil Analyzers instead.

Her and my son are taking a road trip early Monday AM so need to get it done tomorrow. My only thought on sticking with factory filter is one less thing to argue if issues and their pockets are deeper. I'd hate to buy more oil as I have like 5-6 jugs of PP 5W-20 but I'd rather have a new receipt to keep with her files. I also need to get history invoices from her parents or the shop they were going to so I have them.

Last oil change was December 2022 so I need to shorten the months and miles for future but 3750 just seems so short for good oil.

I gave it a mini detail on Saturday, wash/clay mitt/TW Hybrid Ceramic OUT 4 years ago Hyundai posted the spec of the filter and it WS horrible
About 5 years ago Hyundai had the specs of the filter on their website and it was not good. They pulled it a month later. Who knows what it is now, 5 years later. Doesn’t matter to me, I never run OEM filters.

I agree with Hyudai and Kia engine being pretty ****ty. They have a tendency for the oil rings around the pistons to be contaminated and seize, this will cause scoring along the cylinder walls, with major consumption issues. Of all the engines that tend to need a flush, I would high recommend it on this platform. Don’t forget, UOA’s are not going to show you this info. Dirty and contaminated oil is not going to do you any favors in this regards. I would stick with at least a 30 weight and change the oil often.

Last edited:
I'd leave it set at 6000/12 personally.

Seems like a fine plan, don't see anything wrong with FE if cant get OE...
If a suburban grocery getter , short trips / mixed driving with a Hyundai / Kia GDI engine you are in the severe service category which is 3,750 miles / 6 months … I round up to 4,000 miles / 6 months . No need for more exotic Euro spec oil with the above OCI . Use 5W30 SP D1 / Gen 3 rated synthetic oil such as Pennzoil Platinum , Mobil 1 (non EP) , Valvoline Advanced or Quaker State Synthetic 5W30 . Buy which ever is on sale from WM . I use Fram Tough Guard or Ultra 9688 (I use Ultra for two OCI’s and replace every other oil change in my Hyundai / Kia and never had an issue (better filter media than Hyundai oil filters) and no start up noise either . *Castrol is overpriced compared to what I suggested above - not worth the price increase for a D1 / Gen. 3 oil .

Not blaming robots. Just blaming the cheap metals used inside those engines and some terrible, S. Korean engineering.

I'm done with this. That Kia will be stuck in our driveway for many years to come. Stubborn wife to blame. My Hyundai is on it's way out. I just need to tell myself that the Honda CRV or Toyota RAV4 non-GDIs I want next, is going to cost a few grand above sticker price (out the door). I've purchased eight new vehicles so far. Never paid more out the door than two grand below sticker price.

So the wait continues........maybe forever. I have the money, but I'm not paying top dollar for my upcoming new ride from Japan.
My 2017 Hyundai Sonata Theta II 2.4L GDI now has 54K miles on it and has been burning oil for quite awhile … *Now looking for who makes a good mid- size SUV with a non- GDI (PFI) engine ?? Hyundai Sonada is my first GDI engine snd I just don’t like them .

A lot of the Asian OEM filters have terrible efficiency, like 50 to 60 percent at 20 microns. Doesn’t seem to bother the Toyotas but I would want every enhancement possible on the notoriously self grenading Hyundai’s.

Back