Hyundai 2.0L turbo oil requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: PimTac
Why not stick with the warranty recommendations? If something happens then there is no question on the kind of oil used. What may be more important here is the OCI.

Interesting choice of words, I didn't know there were "warranty recommendations." In the owner's manuals I've seen there are grade recommendations, required specifications and that's about it. Where is the tie to warranty?

This is a 2017 Owner's Manual snipshot:
Assuming we have the same OM, anything more than the recommendation is pretty vague...
But PimTac is only trying to keep things simple by recommending what is also recommended in the book, nothing wrong with that.

I'd go with a 30wt in a Turbo especially if you like to punch it.

All the major brands are great so long as they carry the rating required.

welcome2.gif
to BITOG!

Originally Posted By: wemay
Originally Posted By: kschachn
Why not stick with the warranty recommendations? If something happens then there is no question on the kind of oil used. What may be more important here is the OCI.

Interesting choice of words, I didn't know there were "warranty recommendations." In the owner's manuals I've seen there are grade recommendations, required specifications and that's about it. Where is the tie to warranty?

This is a 2017 Owner's Manual snipshot:
Assuming we have the same OM, anything more than the recommendation is pretty vague...
But PimTac is only trying to keep things simple by recommending what is also recommended in the book, nothing wrong with that.

Thanks wemay. That was my intent. Many times discussions get too convoluted here.

Originally Posted By: wemay
The Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 sold here is an A5 oil. Valvoline SynPower 5W-30 is as well according to their website. Unless something's changed recently, they don't recommend XW-20 for the 2.0T here, only the 2.4.

banana2.gif
welcome2.gif
happy2.gif

Thanks, I'll look for those two brands tomorrow.

As for the Kendall 5w30 GT1 Max, I was simply curious. I have a full case and would like to use it if possible. But since this thing is new, and my first import to boot, I guess I better not use anything that isn't A5 approved...

Thanks wemay. That was my intent. Many times discussions get too convoluted here.

I agree, and I was really only reacting to and commenting about your statement:

His warranty would be affected by using 0w-40.

I don't think it is, at least I've never seen anything that makes the connection between grade and warranty.

To me, the downside of going with a 0W40 is that you're not going to find any of those with the dexos1 Gen 2 license and that's the only way to get an oil that has been tested for LSPI resistance at this point.
I'd go for getting the LSPI testing over the higher HTHS at this point, and you can get something like M1 0W30 AFE dexos1 Gen 2 if you want a 0WXX.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Why is Hyundai still using temperature charts? Why not a mandatory single viscosity recommendation like all the other manufacturers do? Temperature charts are confusing to the average car buyer.

Thinly veiled method of calling people [censored]. Freaking awesome. Keep the truth coming.

OP, Castrol Magnatec in 5W30.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Great choice.

What he said.

Yes. Thanks. And thanks Wemay for the original suggestion!

Originally Posted By: K23Turbo
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Why is Hyundai still using temperature charts? Why not a mandatory single viscosity recommendation like all the other manufacturers do? Temperature charts are confusing to the average car buyer.

Thinly veiled method of calling people [censored]. Freaking awesome. Keep the truth coming.

OP, Castrol Magnatec in 5W30.

1 Manual, multiple places this vehicle is sold in the world where there might not be the same availability of oil like here.
wink.gif

Last edited:
With 88,XXX miles on our 2.0T, these are the oils used up to current fill...

My 2013 manual calls for API SM, ILSAC GF-4, ACEA A5 or higher
Oil...........Times used
VSP 5W30......10
M1 5W30.......03
M1 0W30.......02
VWB 10W30.....02
Edge 0W40.....01
Delo 5W40.....01
Devlac 15W40..01

Not one issue except for fouled spark plugs when changed at 40K

Well strangely enough ragdoll in Canada I have heard that Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is easy to find. Here in the US it like finding one of these...

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Well strangely enough ragdoll in Canada I have heard that Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is easy to find. Here in the US it like finding one of these...

It's currently on Amazon (for prime members) and at Walmart.
banana2.gif

I just don't care for the whole on-line buying deal. Don't know... But I just don't like it. I am a in person kind of cat. I liked it when you could Pennzoil Ultra at Wally World in store for $27.97.

With all this identity stuff, credit card, personal bank information being raided by bad actors I just don't really care for on line purchasing. Cash in hand just seems way more secure at this time... I had some cat try to use my bank card in Beckley WV last summer. And how did that bad cat get my bank card?? Yeah... Swiping that card at a store buying something. Which I rarely do. But I did a time or two when I just did not have quite enough cash in hand to pay for what I got.

Last edited:
bbh … know what you mean ~ and after reading up on and listening to Bezos … not Amazon for sure …

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back