How often should you "test" your cellphone?

Where did you come up with that? Nowhere does it say to do that in the owners manual.
No, but living with electronics teaches one to add that to the troubleshooting or basic "maintenance" tasks.
I usually go to airplane mode and then back out of it first. If that doesn't address the no calls or texts, then I'll powercycle the phone.
Like any other thing running software, sometimes programs have memory leaks and other issues that leave the phone without resources to do the things it needs to do.

Ideally, the base OS could recover those resources. But that's not always the case.

A reboot or a power cycle usually takes care of that.

My preference between restarting and powering down, is to power down the device, wait about 30 seconds to let any residual power in the RAM memory "drain away", and then turn the device back on. I normally do this to my PCs daily, and my Android devices once a week. I find the extra few minutes involved keep memory problems at bay and the devices don't suffer glitches throughout the day which can cause longer disruptions.

With iOS sliding downhill faster than a mud slide, I have to test/reboot my devices at least one a week. 🫤
Interesting you're having these problems. iOS has been flawless for me with a 13 Pro Max. Which iPhone do you have?

It may benefit you to to a backup and restore.

I've had this happen with my Motorola a few times so I disabled Wi-Fi calling. Well not Wi-Fi calling but I turn Wi-Fi off so it can't use wifi calling and I've yet to have it hang on me again.

Motorola and no idea.

Unless I'm on the road or traveling, I'd have little need to make a call. The $15 monthly bill gets automatically charged to my credit card.
That be a LINUX Andriod. I just went to that OS after having a WIndows 8 phone I really liked, but Nokia and MS parted ways. I hear rumors of Win 11 mobile

I figure that as long as I see a bar (and one of four is common in my house because of the terrain) it should be connected and accept calls unless there's something wrong. I do remember when there was a power outage, calls and data were really stressed because there were probably a lot of people using their phones when their home internet was out.

I enable Wi-Fi calling and I've never heard of it failing to accept a call as long as I can see it's in that mode.

The dealer service department where I took a car for a recall, calls me back on my landline saying the shuttle driver sent to pick me up, couldn't reach me on my cellphone. He had to knock on my door to say he was here because he said I didn't answer my cellphone. Later in the day I look into it, and sure enough, when I call my phone with the landline, it goes right to voicemail. And I cant make an outgoing call either. Soon as I hit dial, the phone says, call ended. WTH? How long has this been going on? I don't recall getting any calls for over a week now that I think about it, and I haven't made any calls either. Lucky I wasn't somewhere where I actually needed to make a call. After turning the phone off and on again I got it working, but how often do people test their phones by calling it from another number?
Yes, test often. Cell phones are now mini pocket computers and the call / text functions are now a secondary feature.

And yes apple and android have these issues. One is not immune to this over the other. Complete joke these days.

Back