Why does my phone sometimes come on with minimum brightness?

This seems to happen maybe once every 3 to 6 months. It's a couple years old Motorola Moto E. I take the phone out of my pocket, press the button on the side to wake it up, and then see the screen is so dim I can't read anything. Happened yesterday. Had to wait until I got home, go into a dark room so I could barely see the display and press the Settings button, Display button, Brightness level, then move the slider that was all the way to the left, back to the right. Lucky I didn't actually have to use the phone before getting home. I know it worked fine a half hour before because I made a call. I don't think the brightness setting would have changed by itself just from being in my pocket. Any ideas?
It could be a few things. Sometimes apps compete with the phone software. If you go into Settings it should have an option for "automatic " brightness. Third many phones have a power setting that will cut brightness and features if power gets below a selected percentage.

...So that's where the flashlight switch is. The flashlight was on when I pulled it out of my pocket as well. Couldn't figure out how to turn it off. Reset the phone half a dozen times before it stayed off.
on the Old Moto's I used to use,( first Gen Moto X, and Moto X Pure) around that same generation, you could turn the flashlight on/ off by holding the phone, and giving it a double "tomahawk chop"
...or was it once on, twice off; twice on, once off... some where in there....

on the Old Moto's I used to use,( first Gen Moto X, and Moto X Pure) around that same generation, you could turn the flashlight on/ off by holding the phone, and giving it a double "tomahawk chop"
Yeah ..... just twist your wrist and it comes on . All these feature are annoying tho . If you touch the homescreen the wrong way the weather app opens up or the clock / timer opens up .

If your phone has auto-brightness you may want to turn that off and set display brightness manually. The only time I find auto-brightness useful on my phone is out in the sun because the phone cranks up brightness higher than I can manually set it. In dim ambient light conditions, auto-brightness dims the screen brightness too much for my liking.

The "chop" still works to turn the flashlight on and off, on newer Motorola phones.

Back