Have you cut the home phone cord?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I gave it up years ago then brought it back for fostercare requirements. We plan to keep it until the kids leave. My parents have a land line that spells our last name, I'll be keeping that one going forever!

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Got rid of the home phone. The only calls we seemed to get on the home phone were telemarketers.

Same here. Disconnected two years ago.

Originally Posted By: BJD78
Still have it with Windstream only because it is bundles with internet.About $5.00 more per month internet and land line together is about $60.00 per month but at least half of that is fees and taxes and more fees. We do not have cable tv or dish. My wife likes it as a backup but we rarely use it except for calls to a few relatives. We have a call list and anyone not on it is blocked. 99% of incoming calls are from phone scammers our blocker bocks probably3 to 7 calls per day.

We have Winstream as well. I was told the phone was only $5 per month with the package but when I cancelled it our bill dropped by almost $16 per month.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Sierra048
We have Winstream as well. I was told the phone was only $5 per month with the package but when I cancelled it our bill dropped by almost $16 per month.

Were they charging a "dry loop" and "911" fee as well? Mine does with a $0.00 fee for the phone

Nope, have it bundled with my internet service. I like sitting at my computer to read & type things. Cell phones are way to small for my big hands/fingers to type. I find its still beneficial to me & my household overall.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Because of my bundle package with Directv I still have my home phone. I also had it with Comcast Triple Play. Call me old school but I just can't let my hone phone go!

We still maintain a home phone line, just because it cost almost nothing and we have the luxury of not being bothered on our cell phones for companies etc that we rather not be..
If its important they will leave a message, plus of course caller ID, if its me or wife trying to contact each other for some unusual reason.

With that said, it cost almost NOTHING for unlimited nationwide service, we only pay the monthly tax of less then $5.00 a month.
Its called Ooma buy the device, plug it into your router and your all set, no different then any cable or uverse of any other VOIP provider..

To us, its a luxury of not being bothered on our cell phones by people or companies that we rather just leave a message at home, well worth the under $5.00 a month for us.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bud
Have not and probably will not. Wife does not like long conversations using a cell phone. Just her personal preference.

I definitely agree on this. Cellphones don't have anywhere near the clarity and quality audio that landlines have and I they bet never will.

Originally Posted By: alarmguy
Originally Posted By: ZZman
Because of my bundle package with Directv I still have my home phone. I also had it with Comcast Triple Play. Call me old school but I just can't let my hone phone go!

We still maintain a home phone line, just because it cost almost nothing and we have the luxury of not being bothered on our cell phones for companies etc that we rather not be..
If its important they will leave a message, plus of course caller ID, if its me or wife trying to contact each other for some unusual reason.

With that said, it cost almost NOTHING for unlimited nationwide service, we only pay the monthly tax of less then $5.00 a month.
Its called Ooma buy the device, plug it into your router and your all set, no different then any cable or uverse of any other VOIP provider..

To us, its a luxury of not being bothered on our cell phones by people or companies that we rather just leave a message at home, well worth the under $5.00 a month for us.

I switched over to Ooma also. I don't talk on the phone a lot, but prefer to use my cordless system and cellular sound quality is quite bad in general - particularly at my house.

I had a prepaid tracphone and landline until 2004, when I went with Cingular (now AT&T) and have not had a home landline since then (14 years)

Also a Windstream customer with a POTS landline + 12 MB DSL with a price-for-life of $69/month (which works out to be approx $90 after taxes and fees). I laugh at the people who call me on their cellphones because half the time the call drops on their end. I will never give up my landline if I can help it. Also, I still send/receive an occasional fax which is another reason to keep it. Next month my DSL is supposed to become 25 MB with no price increase, so looking forward to that. I don't even own a cellphone and have no desire to. If I do need to make a call in an unusual circumstance, chances are I'm with someone who will lend me their phone...so what's the point? And thanks to caller ID, I can ignore any call I don't want to answer. Let the telemarketers waste their time. If I'm in the mood, I answer and curse at them freely just for entertainment.

Last edited:
Cut the land line 20 years ago. Where I am you can't even get one anymore. They quit running phone line altogether.

Still have land line, have problems with it going dead at least twice a year. The main phone cable along our road needs an upgrade, but not worth it to the phone company as few houses and even less land line customers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back