Giving out your cell phone #

My friends get text messages and calls from unknown sources.
I get ZERO of them on mine and they asked how I avoid them.

Easy! The only folks who have my# are close friends and family.
I still have a landline (old man you know) LOL!
Any places that require a phone# are directed to the landline.
If I don't recognize the name on caller ID, it rolls to the answering machine. If I know the person, I can call them back.

Put all phones on the Government Do No Call List and if you don't recognize the number,don't answer.If I run out of things to do report the scammers.

You won't find me using one of those cell phones, no sir. My good-ol-fashioned land line phone will do me just fine. Everyone always tells me I sound very clear on my phone, they ask me "Randy, how do you sound so crisp and clear on your phone?" and I tell them "I'm using a land line! If you want to sound clear, take your cell phone and throw it in the trash!" This new technology is a load of garbage if you ask me.

Only on BITOG.... Bob Is The Luddite Guy. 😵‍💫

I get a few more spam calls since I switched from Android to iphone but not bad. If I don't know the number I don't answer, if they don't leave a message it wasn't important. Lately spammers have been using the local area code and exchange numbers so it will show up as a local town on ID.

It depends on what it’s for. I still get calls and texts for the person who had the number before me over 10 years ago. I’ve had the same number since I got a cell phone in 2013 and they always call me is this Greg? I’m like nope Greg moved to Nebraska and has a different number now. Oh ok do you know what it is? Nope I don’t goodbye. Greg called me in 2014 when he moved back to this area asking if I’d give his number back nope sorry I will not. He understood and was able to get one with the same first three digits. I will never change my number I like it. Double 8s and double 7s and the same first three as my dad. You can’t hardly get a good number anymore anyway hardly any left for the area code we have which is why they made a new one. All my friends have my number and my boss of course well at least I think he does I’ve never been in contact with him over the phone lol. A few forum members here have my number as well. When selling something online and someone asks for it I give them the number for my texting app. That’s what my friend does that way they don’t have our real number. Personally I don’t care if someone has my number as long as they leave me alone unless they are my friend or want to play the exclusive iPhone text messages games.

I have a friend my best friend actually who since 2013 when he also got a phone he has had 22 numbers because he freaks out if someone like his boss calls him. So he changes it then boss gets the new number then changes it again. He is paranoid of someone knowing his number besides me and his family. And he is trying to get one without a 2 in it as he says that’s unmanly lol.

Bottom line I don’t answer the phone if I don’t know the number. Last time I did it was the military trying to recruit me which I have no interest in.

The number of calls I receive has gone down drastically in the last couple of years since I started answering it in a quiet setting, immediately putting it on mute, and just letting it ride until the call terminates.

You won't find me using one of those cell phones, no sir. My good-ol-fashioned land line phone will do me just fine. Everyone always tells me I sound very clear on my phone, they ask me "Randy, how do you sound so crisp and clear on your phone?" and I tell them "I'm using a land line! If you want to sound clear, take your cell phone and throw it in the trash!" This new technology is a load of garbage if you ask me.
I'm the same way. Hard of hearing and the landline works much better for me.
Carry the cell for an emergency, but seldom use it. Send a couple texts now and then, to people I know are working.
My friends and family all know to call on the landline.

I changed my number 13 mos ago. Had to be a new line to get the iPhone 13 Pro 256 / no trade for $309.

For quite some time I was getting legit calls and texts for the previous person who had this number.

One was a slew of pics of his retirement party. My coworker said if I were you I’d call or text that person back as a courtesy so she knows the pics didn’t reach the right person. I texted back.

I’m usually ok with giving it out. I hate using it for work but I get a stipend which lets my employer off the hook.

Any gas station, grocery store, etc that requests my cell number to get a discount gets Jenny's number, 867-5309. it will make sense if you remember the song Jenny from Tommy Tutone
I have a 2007 BMW no I drive. It uses the radio screen for various data incl phone.

I was listening to FM radio and it was Tommy Tutone, so it said Jenny 867-5309.

I sent a pic to my group chat as there was a Jenny on my team. I said, “Jenny you didn’t tell me you got a new cell!!”

She said, “Haha like I’ve never heard that one before.”

Ps I heard when that song came out, many people got prank calls who happened to have 867-5309. For me personally, I started calling girls whose names were on bathroom walls…

Land lines are dead here. Our service was so bad we had to go to cell phones. The phone company refuses to maintain any landlines here so when it rains or the wind blows the phone was dead.

My Granddaughter likes to shop at Ulta. (fancy woman's makeup place)
When I pay, they usually offer a discount for your phone#.
I just make one up with the prefix from my city.

First time she heard me give a # that was not mine, she looked at me strange.
Then I explained to her the reasoning and she understands.

My grandpa still had a landline. When a telemarketer or similar disturber called put them kindly on hold and started clanking with pots and pans or revving a cordless screwdriver while whistling The River Kwai March. Sometimes he told them he was in the middle of something and he'd call them back if they were to leave their number.

My Granddaughter likes to shop at Ulta. (fancy woman's makeup place)
When I pay, they usually offer a discount for your phone#.
I just make one up with the prefix from my city.

First time she heard me give a # that was not mine, she looked at me strange.
Then I explained to her the reasoning and she understands.
The same with Tractor Supply. I just tell them no.

Back