Cell Phone Service

Sure you can! The MOS score of a POTS line at best is around 4, while the MOS score of G.722 wideband is >4.5.

Not what I'm finding....

1689652011582.jpg

Depends on what you mean by a "landline". I consider the Xfinity voice service at my house to be a "landline" even though it's delivered over fiber and coax.

I prefer it over using my cellphone. The sound quality is much better out of a full-size telephone handset compared to a cell phone. I'm sure there's some bluetooth device I could purchase to fix that...but I'm not going to bother.

One reason I keep a landline around is in case my cellphone craps out. If that happens, I have no way to call anyone without a landline.
What kind of cell phone and provider you using where the sound quality is better ? iPhone 14 and Verizon and so clear especially with other iPhone users you think they dropped off.

The old stuff or low end smartphones or flip phones I absolutely agree it can sound abysmal.

I used to have Google Fi but switched to Mint mainly for the included free data instead of having to pay extra for the data used. For the last 2-3 months I've been having to power cycle my phone which doesn't seem to want to reconnect to another tower, a power cycle forces it to reconnect and is usually all it needs. Recently T-Mobile has purchased Mint, my friend who works in the telecom industry said that his co-worker has T-Mobile and is also having problems the same as what I'm having.

What kind of cell phone and provider you using where the sound quality is better ? iPhone 14 and Verizon and so clear especially with other iPhone users you think they dropped off.

The old stuff or low end smartphones or flip phones I absolutely agree it can sound abysmal.

It's a matter of physics. The speaker in any cellphone is tiny. The speaker in almost any telephone handset is larger. This results in better low-frequency response.

I have Tmobile. The smartphone sounds great when paired via bluetooth with any of my car stereos. (That speaker size thing again...).

That doesn't work when I'm at home, and I'm unwilling to buy some bluetooth device for home use.

Depends on what you mean by a "landline". I consider the Xfinity voice service at my house to be a "landline" even though it's delivered over fiber and coax.

I prefer it over using my cellphone. The sound quality is much better out of a full-size telephone handset compared to a cell phone. I'm sure there's some bluetooth device I could purchase to fix that...but I'm not going to bother.

One reason I keep a landline around is in case my cellphone craps out. If that happens, I have no way to call anyone without a landline.
I have an AT&T landline that's real copper. Costs about $11 per month. Sound quality depends on who I'm talking to and what their phone is.

I have an AT&T landline that's real copper. Costs about $11 per month. Sound quality depends on who I'm talking to and what their phone is. Sometimes it's excellent.
AT&T has sent out letters to many of it's customers stating their copper wires will be replaced with fiber optics. If this happens prepare for price increases.

AT&T has sent out letters to many of it's customers stating their copper wires will be replaced with fiber optics. If this happens prepare for price increases.

Verizon did the same, they installed FIOS in this area probably 2 years ago now. I still see Verizon techs farting around with the copper cross connect box on the corner every once in a while.

At that price you must be getting charged for every call you make?
I only get charged when I call out of town but still within my area code. Outside of my area code I'm not allowed to make a call without a long distance access code which costs $20 at Costco for 700 minutes I think it is.

I only have to get fiber optics if I ever disconnect my land line. As long as I never disconnect it, it stays. I have cable for the internet.

Yes, your service is plugged into an analog phone, but the voice is carried to you over VoIP that is carried as packet on HFC. I really meant to say POTS in my post. It's the POTS infrastructure that is breathing it's last breath.

Not what I'm finding....

View attachment 167662
Yeah, that's why the call it a "Mean Opinion Score". The ranking is literally a human's opinion. My opinion is G.722 WB and SATIN sound much better than G.711. Although, I wear a good bi-aural heatset all day so I hear the difference much better with two ears than one. I'll give you an example, I take some calls over G.729, some over G.711, and most over SATIN (wideband). I can tell within the first few seconds which CODEC my phone is using. G.729-just ok, G.711-good, SATIN-very good. But remember, that's just my opinion. Perception is everything.

Another major influence of sound quality is the earpiece or headset. Many are not capable of wideband sound, so even if you are using a wideband CODEC, you'll never hear the quality of a wideband CODEC. My headset is wideband capable and I have wideband turned on. The sound quality difference between wideband and narrowband is amazing.

Last edited:
It's Wireless ........ so it's not gonna be as reliable as a landline phone .
This ^^^^^^^

I have NEVER had a cell phone call that was as clear as any landline conversation. I can always tell when someone calls me on a cell. They cut in and out, and the word "what" gets repeated over and over.

I would never by choice get rid of my landline because of this. And I don't think the price of the phone matters that much. My landscaper has the latest I-Phone. And when he calls to tell me he's on his way, I can barely understand him.... And his English is perfect.

I avoid talking on mine as much as possible. And I don't give out my cell number because of this. In fact, I don't even know offhand what it is. I would have to look it up.... That's not ignorance, but rather preference.

Last edited:
It's a matter of physics. The speaker in any cellphone is tiny. The speaker in almost any telephone handset is larger. This results in better low-frequency response.

I have Tmobile. The smartphone sounds great when paired via bluetooth with any of my car stereos. (That speaker size thing again...).

That doesn't work when I'm at home, and I'm unwilling to buy some bluetooth device for home use.
Sort of, also audio engineering by Apple and likely Samsung high end spends an intense amount of money in audio engineering and speaker design for talking of their flagship every year. Lol that any normal phone you plug in wall. There are a few $100-$200 ones for conferencing and business otherwise random.

This ^^^^^^^

I have NEVER had a cell phone call that was as clear as any landline conversation. I can always tell when someone calls me on a cell. They cut in and out, and the word "what" gets repeated over and over.

I would never by choice get rid of my landline because of this. And I don't think the price of the phone matters that much. My landscaper has the latest I-Phone. And when he calls to tell me he's on his way, I can barely understand him.... And his English is perfect.

I avoid talking on mine as much as possible. And I don't give out my cell number because of this. In fact, I don't even know offhand what it is. I would have to look it up.
You must be a long distance from the cell tower your phone uses. Quality cellular is only good for a couple miles and that's if you don't have interference or attenuation.

I can see the tower from my driveway. It's one of the few they haven't gotten around to disguising as a plastic palm tree.
That's not the tower your using, I can almost guarantee. It's probably a different carrier's tower.

Sure you can! The MOS score of a POTS line at best is around 4, while the MOS score of G.722 wideband is >4.5. However, if you are on a POTS line and you call someone on a cell phone, their wonderful G.722 VoLTE call gets transcoded down to the POTS line in a media gateway. The result is a less than G.722 quality call.

If you are talking VoLTE to VoLTE on cell phones, you get a rich wide-band experience with a MOS of >4.5. Then put a good bi-aural bluetooth 5.x headset on your cell phone and you'll blow away the sound quality of any analog or digital line.
No idea what all of that means. Just know that I dread talking to one of my friends over the phone since he abandoned his landline years ago. He always sounds like his head is in a coffee can and I always have to ask him to repeat himself.

If I were to pick one of the US Big 3 right now it would be T-Mobile. Verizon used to be good around here but the signal performance has declined over the last 2 or 3 years. I use T-Mobile for home Internet (not the Home Internet service, but a regular hotspot plan) and my LTE dish has been connected to the T-Mobile tower 6 miles away continuously for 18 days now.
1689685239707.png

oops I intended to post this in the thread in Consumer Electronics.

Last edited:

It's actually cheaper. Fiber is cheap enough to replace copper lines now so there's no reason to upkeep both copper and fiber in most situations. They've already replaced a lot of copper with fiber in downtown Chicago and the suburban neighborhoods and will keep increasing the price of plans still using the copper lines until the account holder decides to give up and move over to fiber.

Back