Got the new truck home and actual payout.

That's what you said about the 2002 vs 2017! I can't imagine the side by side of this vs. the 2002.
The 02 was anvil reliable but did nothing fast? Well? I mean this truck is 100 more HP and 104 Ft/lbs of torque more than the 02 with 10 speeds vs 4 speeds. It isn't even fair. I am pretty sure this truck would tow the 02 and travel trailer over the passes here faster than the 02 towed my old smaller, lighter 5th wheel. Not only that I think the 2024 gasser is going to do better than the kids LB7 Duramax (2003).

Nice truck. If I was buying a new Chevy truck, it would be one like that with that drivetrain. I looked at one recently at the local Chevy dealer and it stickered for around $57K too. Heck, most of the 1/2 ton trucks were going for a lot more than that.

I wouldn't mind having a new truck but both of my 98's are fairly low mileage so I can't really justify buying a new one and they do what I need from them.

Enjoy the new truck.

I think you got a great deal overall.
Brand new for only 10K out of pocket?
A screaming deal that proves the old adage of every cloud having a silver lining.
Hope it works well for you for many years to come.

As posted on another BITOG thread, I am a super duty owner and have been since my purchased new 1991 3/4 ton Silverado brake pipes and trans line failed a very early unessaery death.

A co worker.purchased a 2023 3/4 ton Chevy. I was amazed at how well the standard design was, how serviceable the V8 engine was, etc. If.someone wants a bling machine, the Chevy may not be the top dog..but if someone wants a truck to use as.a.truck, and is a.self maintainer, I think Chevy beats Ford and ram by a very wide margin. I wouldn't think twice of having a new Chevy truck optioned with its standard features on the top of my truck buying list.
One issue with Ford is that they discontinue dealer-specific parts quickly (sometimes in as little as five years). It can be hard to keep an old one going.

A friend's wife's Windstar, perhaps 10 years old at the time, had a broken throttle cable. The part was unavailable anywhere. No one made an aftermarket one, the dealers all said it was discontinued, and there were no used ones available - unfortunately the local wreckers cut the throttle cables when pulling the engine.

Edit: They had a shop weld the broken cable, which lasted until they replaced the van.

Last edited:
As posted on another BITOG thread, I am a super duty owner and have been since my purchased new 1991 3/4 ton Silverado brake pipes and trans line failed a very early unessaery death.

A co worker.purchased a 2023 3/4 ton Chevy. I was amazed at how well the standard design was, how serviceable the V8 engine was, etc. If.someone wants a bling machine, the Chevy may not be the top dog..but if someone wants a truck to use as.a.truck, and is a.self maintainer, I think Chevy beats Ford and ram by a very wide margin. I wouldn't think twice of having a new Chevy truck optioned with its standard features on the top of my truck buying list.
I have no experience servicing any GM trucks newer than 2015 but I do self maintain my 2020 F350 7.3L gas and must say it’s very easy and accessible to service. I’ve done oil changes, trans oil and filter, air cleaners, spark plugs and wires, diffs and T case oils, etc. None or witch were difficult or hard to access. I would say it was better than my 2015 GMC 6.0L gas in fact.

That’s just my experience thou.

Edit: just to add, these are nice trucks, I’ve had 5 GM HD trucks from 2005-2015 and they all served me very well. Some people complain about the independent front ends but I’ve found them to hold up to abuse better than the solid front end fords and especially dodges.

Last edited:
I have no experience servicing any GM trucks newer than 2015 but I do self maintain my 2020 F350 7.3L gas and must say it’s very easy and accessible to service. I’ve done oil changes, trans oil and filter, air cleaners, spark plugs and wires, diffs and T case oils, etc. None or witch were difficult or hard to access. I would say it was better than my 2015 GMC 6.0L gas in fact.

That’s just my experience thou.

Edit: just to add, these are nice trucks, I’ve had 5 GM HD trucks from 2005-2015 and they all served me very well. Some people complain about the independent front ends but I’ve found them to hold up to abuse better than the solid front end fords and especially dodges.
I feel most of the 3/4 ton and up gasser units are solid, really they always have been To be honest they are all pretty easy to work on. I do some of the maintenance on a 14 6.2 F350. Solid truck.

That truck’s front end is so gargantuous, it’s like the half dome rock in Yosemite. It’s so mountainous that I can imagine young families taking selfies in front of its gaping front end. You need to put bull horns on that thing.
It’s for the massive cooling requirements of a gas engine having a tow rating of 16k. You do realize how bananas that is compared to 20 years ago? You’d have to half that for towing with a gasser 2 decades ago. Even a 7.3 powerstroke f350 from 2000 had a lower towing capacity than these new HD trucks. Just think about that. Insanity how far they are pushing the limit.

It’s for the massive cooling requirements of a gas engine having a tow rating of 16k. You do realize how bananas that is compared to 20 years ago? You’d have to half that for towing with a gasser 2 decades ago. Even a 7.3 powerstroke f350 from 2000 had a lower towing capacity than these new HD trucks. Just think about that. Insanity how far they are pushing the limit.

Even more so, the size of the grill is for the cooling requirements of the Diesel, 2wd, regular cab, DRW truck, which can have a towing capacity of 36,000 lbs.

The RAM (37,090 lb max tow rating), and Ford (40,000 lb max tow rating) have large grills for the same reason.

If anyone is tracking, Mike's truck goes up for auction next Wednesday 18 OCT 2023. Public can bid. Note the winner will not be issued a salvage title, but will be issued a bill of sale. This is critical to have awareness of no title.

If anyone is tracking, Mike's truck goes up for auction next Wednesday 18 OCT 2023. Public can bid. Note the winner will not be issued a salvage title, but will be issued a bill of sale. This is critical to have awareness of no title.
Do we have a link?

I am the high bidder on Mike's truck. I am at $5525, with my max bid of $5550. Auction is this morning. Next highest bidder is from Texas. I don't expect to win this truck, and really don't want to. But at $5550, that is $6580 with auction fees. WA state tax is additional to the purchase / auction price, so price is then $7100, before a single part is purchased.

Hoping I don't win Mike's beautiful well maintained truck. I have to many projects going on right now, and start work OCONUS travel at the end of the month, on and off through MAR 2024.

USAA is the Seller. The will likely not accept a winning bid of under $14,000. I don't know their reserve, but I suspect about $14,000. I expect this truck will not meet USAA's reserve, and go back on the auction block next week.

I am the high bidder on Mike's truck. I am at $5525, with my max bid of $5550. Auction is this morning. Next highest bidder is from Texas. I don't expect to win this truck, and really don't want to. But at $5550, that is $6580 with auction fees. WA state tax is additional to the purchase / auction price, so price is then $7100, before a single part is purchased.

Hoping I don't win Mike's beautiful well maintained truck. I have to many projects going on right now, and start work OCONUS travel at the end of the month, on and off through MAR 2024.

USAA is the Seller. The will likely not accept a winning bid of under $14,000. I don't know their reserve, but I suspect about $14,000. I expect this truck will not meet USAA's reserve, and go back on the auction block next week.

I'm looking forward to your frame replacement process. :D

Back