Receiver pin was missing when I got home - only the clamp held the ball mount

wwillson

Staff member
I just towed a 26' enclosed trailer about 2,000 miles. The trailer weighed about 8,000 pounds loaded and 3,600 pounds empty. It was loaded for half of the trip and empty the other half. I always use an anti-rattle clamp (url to a post I made) on the ball mount when I tow. From the years of towing a 30' Airstream, I found the only way to keep the clamp from loosening was to go overkill and made a super strong clamp from two clamps I bought from Hitchclamp.com. The U-bolt that comes with this clamp will loosen in a few hundred miles, so I put two of them back to back with 9/16" grade 8 bolts. Each bolt, when torqued to spec, has a clamping force of 16,000 pounds.

When I got home and removed the clamp, I noticed the receiver pin was missing!!!! There are a few possibilities; 1) I never put the pin in 2) The pin somehow fell out 3) Someone stole the pin. I am 100% certain I put the pin in, so either it fell out or someone took it out. I have no idea how long the trailer was towed without the pin in the receiver and I am 100% certain that had the clamp not been on the receiver the ball mount would have pulled out. Obviously, if the ball mount would have pulled out, we would have at the very least had a mess. Count your lucky stars.

IMG_2728.JPG

IMG_2729.JPG

Last edited:
Crazy @wwillson! I’ve been towing a 36’ TT for the last ~7 years. I’ve had thoughts of things like this happening. I find myself checking the hitch after each stop away from my truck. I just don’t trust folks messing with my stuff and creating a big headache.

Sometimes you are better lucky than good. Glad you survived this one!

Just my $0.02

If this clamp remained tight I'm surprised there wasn't friction on the pin, requiring someone to have to hammer it out. Am trying to imagine a scenario where everything was so "perfectly sloppy" the pin was happily banging around inside its oversized holes. Anyway, lock 'em up!

If this clamp remained tight I'm surprised there wasn't friction on the pin, requiring someone to have to hammer it out. Am trying to imagine a scenario where everything was so "perfectly sloppy" the pin was happily banging around inside its oversized holes.
There was no pressure on the pin when I tightened the clamp. That has to be the only way it could have been removed or fallen out.

someone looking to create havoc.
Even with the clamping pressure applied hard to think a 8000 pound load wouldn't pull the receiver out with all the force applied on moving and cornering that load .
thankfully it held together....

HOLY COW!! You are lucky!!! I had a locking one lose the lock part. It mechanically failed. I had stopped to get gas and I check everything when I do. When I noticed it, the pin was only through one hole! That is the only time I have had that happen in 13 years of towing my 32 footer.

I am glad it went as good as could be and nobody was hurt! That blows my mind!!!

I bought a folding cargo carrier to move x country in December.
Kind of expected it to be a bit a sloppy loose fit, and was not pleasantly surprised.
I acquired a less burly sub 25$ anti rattle clamp, but the hinged portion of the folding cargo carrier also introduced some slop.

CURT 22321​

1689557702959.jpg

Is a different method of antirattle, pulling hitch against side wall of receiver.
The burlier clamp, and Curt 22321 inside carrier hinge, worked well to stiffen and silence the cargo carrier, When down and loaded, and also when folded up.

Kept an 11/16" Ratchet handy, used it twice in the first 400 miles, the second time the nuts barely budged but the first time got about half a turn.

Oh, man, I've had a half dozen or so of "those moments" over my career and it is both scary and mind boggling.

Yes, thank goodness nothing bad happened. I cannot believe how many times I look everything over now before proceeding.

With lots of tongue weight, there’s quite a bit of friction on the ball mount in the receiver-good thing you took it easy! Bouncing could have created a disaster!

With lots of tongue weight, there’s quite a bit of friction on the ball mount in the receiver-good thing you took it easy!
There is so much clamping force with the clamp I use that the ball mount couldn't slide.

Bouncing could have created a disaster!
The interstates are so rough in some places that you can't avoid getting tossed around, especially in a 1 ton truck. I wouldn't describe it as "bouncing", rather, I would call it "slamming".

Asking because I don't know. Is the pin grade 8 or stronger? Wouldn't a grade 8 bolt with long shank tightened with nylon locking nut be the 100% fix?

Back