Gas prices rise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Diesel prices jumped another 12 cents/gallon overnight in the Tampa area.
After having jumped 12 cents/gallon during the hurricane with news of the shut ins.

As for the obtuse post above asking "Who Cares?".

Working people care. Business people care.

Hard to understand how a grown man would have to ask such a question.

Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver
After having jumped 12 cents/gallon during the hurricane with news of the shut ins.

Yep. Hit that ole nail right on the head!

When prices for virtually everything go up, don't yell at your service providers who use gasoline/diesel to operate their business!

Originally Posted By: SeaJay
I'll rather let the law of supply and demand dictate prices rather than have some of you posters who given half a chance would start passing laws to try and regulate prices. Price controls rarely work and tend to inflate prices in the long run.

It's a good thing they don't even have power on the Internet.

Originally Posted By: Coprolite
With the current refineries offline, we went from having surplus capacity to having negative capacity measured in millions of barrels. The prices are rising in response to this change. The oil companies are not the ones raising the prices, the market is.

Whether you like it or not, all the US is impacted by Houston going offline. This also allows those refineries to reroute fuel to the damaged areas so that life can continue and people can go on rescuing people in danger.

The current economy is globalized, so things seemingly unrelated will impact you.

Gouging has a definition in TX and many other states, including FL. Prices going up across the board from every single supplier isn't gouging, nor is it collusion.

Hey, I was right then. Great!

Guys, don't bother posting anything(links, diagrams, etc.) for Grampi to read. He's simply a troll.

I don't think he is a trool. But many of my friends are older. I notice that many of them refuse to change their opinions regardless of facts that say otherwise. But many people regardless of age are the same. Its hard for me to really understand that. I am certainly not the sharpest tool in the shed...but one of my few strengths is to look at the facts and make a sensible decision. I either got it bc I was an engineer or possibly bc of Joe Friday on Dragnet: "Give me the facts...just the facts"...lol

Last edited:
Guys, don't bother posting anything(links, diagrams, etc.) for Grampi to read. He's simply a troll.

Do you actually think a troll would have 6900 posts? You're a real winner...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver

Yep. Hit that ole nail right on the head!

When prices for virtually everything go up, don't yell at your service providers who use gasoline/diesel to operate their business!

And that's exactly what happens too, when the price of fuel goes up, so does the price of everything else...

Originally Posted By: Al

I don't think he is a trool. But many of my friends are older. I notice that many of them refuse to change their opinions regardless of facts that say otherwise. But many people regardless of age are the same. Its hard for me to really understand that. I am certainly not the sharpest tool in the shed...but one of my few strengths is to look at the facts and make a sensible decision. I either got it bc I was an engineer or possibly bc of Joe Friday on Dragnet: "Give me the facts...just the facts"...lol

Fact is, the oil industry is not this squeaky clean, straight arrow business you portray it as...

Some call opinions facts - this is nothing new. But this is a fact:- we have many, many, out of town people either staying here or passing through and filling up cars, trucks, containers - so I'm way more concerned with gasoline being available than what I pay in the short term ...

Originally Posted By: grampi
Fact is, the oil industry is not this squeaky clean, straight arrow business you portray it as...

Realistically, though, grampi, capacity is down temporarily. People are driving more over the long weekend. Some people are hoarding. So, when demand rises and supply falls, prices rise. I don't like it, but it's a fact of life.

We either pay the price offered, or we don't drive. We do have a choice. In fact, we have several choices. Given the number of SUVs and trucks on the road (and trucks with empty boxes), clearly, fuel isn't too expensive. Given I drive a G37 and F-150 instead of a Focus, obviously, I'm not too hard done by, either.

Demand has been down and they have even been exporting gasoline for the last couple years.

gtstusm.gif

Last edited:
I topped off my (3) rides yesterday as the price was already up 20 cents; today looks like another 20 cents.

My work site moved recently and my round trip is and additional 18 miles; 72 / day.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Demand has been down and they have even been exporting gasoline for the last couple years.

I'm talking rapid trends here, as in a long weekend coupled with a disaster, not trends month to month or decades ago.

Prices for 87 E10 south of Chicago are $2.19-$2.51 in a 30 mile spread. The closer to Chicago the higher it gets. The $2.19 station has not gone up at all since Harvey.

Diesel though has gone up $0.50 a gallon locally. $2.35-$2.79. The $2.35 went up a 10 cents.

Both of those low prices are Mom and pop stations. Both use Phillips fuel.

Originally Posted By: Garak

Realistically, though, grampi, capacity is down temporarily. People are driving more over the long weekend. Some people are hoarding. So, when demand rises and supply falls, prices rise. I don't like it, but it's a fact of life.

We either pay the price offered, or we don't drive. We do have a choice. In fact, we have several choices. Given the number of SUVs and trucks on the road (and trucks with empty boxes), clearly, fuel isn't too expensive. Given I drive a G37 and F-150 instead of a Focus, obviously, I'm not too hard done by, either.

I don't disagree with anything you said...fortunately this time around I don't think we'll be seeing prices nearly as high as they were during Katrina...

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: SHOZ

I'm talking rapid trends here, as in a long weekend coupled with a disaster, not trends month to month or decades ago.
Yes I was just posting to show that the capacity in the US has been underutilized for the last couple years.

The BP plant in Whiting IN uses the Canadian tar sand oil. They should have a parallel pipeline completed that would double their supply to near 1M bbls a day.

I don't disagree with anything you said...fortunately this time around I don't think we'll be seeing prices nearly as high as they were during Katrina...

I agree with that, at least I hope it's not so bad!

SHOZ: They've obviously not going to overproduce like crazy, either. It is fortunate that North America is a little more immune to foreign whims than decades ago.

Right - and there are contractual obligations - or conversely the lack of binding agreements to do what needs to be done. The regulators are allowing an early switch to winter blends ...

Gas prices here have gone back up to the prices after Hurricane Harvey with the refineries shut down. Normally can find a 10-15 cent price range from average for regular within close driving distance. Now only ~5 cent range with average price $2.50/gal, almost identical to after Harvey. Suppose the change over to summer blend is reason being given now.

Not complaining, just interesting to see prices now so tightly 'fixed'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back