Smokey and the Bandit

This is one of the things that got me into trucks at a very young age. I grew up around them and this movie only fueled the fire. I always thought I’d pick up my “Sally Fields” on the side of the road too but as I’m in southwest Missouri most of the ones on the side of the road are missing most of their teeth among other problems and addictions.

I’d rather have the Kenworth.

The 2nd and 3rd movies were ridiculous IMO.
And you don't wanna meth with those "Sallys"... !!!

I’d forgotten how attractive Sally Fields was. Legend has it Reynolds was not very tall so they wanted a really petite female to make him look bigger. She made a great performance.

Should never have been a sequel. As mentioned Gleason stole the show but just an all around fun movie.

Smokey and the Bandit was just added to Netflix. I watched it tonight, what a fun trip down memory lane.

Stupid movie. Absolutely perfect for a little break from the nutty world we are living in now. 😎

Trans Ams were “the car” to have for quite a while afterwards.
Yes those Trans Ams were very popular. I had a one year old 80 TA Inday 500 Pace Car and like everything about the car except for the wimpy underpowered 301 cu inch turbo engine. The dealership had a 79 Silver Anniversary TA that I could have bought for the same money instead and I should have bought that one. I love the movie.

Yeah it's a great premise ruined by its own stupidity.

They didn't spend much time on the interstate, if they really were trying to get Coors beer across the country.

The car always had engine sounds dubbed in, like it was going 5000 RPM while cruising at 50 on a two-lane country road.

Burt Reynolds was like the Norm MacDonald impression-- "Yeah, I'm a cool guy, what 'cha want?"

Field, Reed, and Gleason were good though.

This was one of a handful of "Speed limit 55 sucks" type movies. Add in Cannonball Run, Gumball Rally...

Replica cars are being sold to stupid Boomers with too much money. I hate seeing someone get gypped but don't know who to root for in this example.
I'm with you. It's a movie I would call 'so bad it's terrible'.

For the fans (myself included - I probably turn it on anytime I'm flipping through channels and it's on), go on YouTube and search for filming locations. People find a lot of them and because many of the areas were so rural, they're still undeveloped to a large degree and a lot of the places are still there. Remember the store-type place where the group was sitting on the "porch" watching when the police had the road block set up ? Still there and recognizable.... The "bridge out" where they end up driving into the pee-wee football field ? Still there and not rebuilt ! Even the final scene at the fairgrounds/race track is partially still there.

It’s been on Netflix at least for me since I joined back in January. I watched it with my dad we love it. We also bought it on disk in case it gets removed.

It’s been on Netflix at least for me since I joined back in January. I watched it with my dad we love it. We also bought it on disk in case it gets removed.
My bad, it popped up on my header last night when I got on so I thought it was a new addition.

It will go away sooner or later. They pay for it so they yank it when interest wains.

For the fans (myself included - I probably turn it on anytime I'm flipping through channels and it's on), go on YouTube and search for filming locations. People find a lot of them and because many of the areas were so rural, they're still undeveloped to a large degree and a lot of the places are still there. Remember the store-type place where the group was sitting on the "porch" watching when the police had the road block set up ? Still there and recognizable.... The "bridge out" where they end up driving into the pee-wee football field ? Still there and not rebuilt ! Even the final scene at the fairgrounds/race track is partially still there.

I saw that film locations video a few months ago.

Yes, many of the film locations are very rural.

Smokey and the Bandit was just added to Netflix. I watched it tonight, what a fun trip down memory lane.

Stupid movie. Absolutely perfect for a little break from the nutty world we are living in now. 😎

The only I remember about that movie is when my mom kept saying she couldn't believe Sally Field left her family for Burt Reynolds.

Legend has it Reynolds was not very tall so they wanted a really petite female to make him look bigger.

A lot of stars have that problem.

1714394893437.jpg

I remember seeing Smokey and the Bandit at the theater when it first came out.
It was he first movie that my wife & I had been to where the audience was actually CLAPPING & HOORAYING during scenes.
When the movie was over, all of those with T/A's, Z28's and other HOT cars were peeling out of the parking lot of the theater.
Everyone driving a T/A were the S&tB characters on that day.
Even though I've never had a Z or a TA, I've had 4 F-Bodies myself(Camaro'74, '77 / Firebird '79, '80). I prefered the other trim levels(Ralley Sport/FORMULA).
Click on my signature.
For some reason I have always liked the Formula models better than the decked out TAs with the giant chicken decals. I guess because the Birds look like they mean business and the TAs have kind of a more formal / fancy? look to them?

Yeah it's a great premise ruined by its own stupidity.

They didn't spend much time on the interstate, if they really were trying to get Coors beer across the country.

The car always had engine sounds dubbed in, like it was going 5000 RPM while cruising at 50 on a two-lane country road.

Burt Reynolds was like the Norm MacDonald impression-- "Yeah, I'm a cool guy, what 'cha want?"

Field, Reed, and Gleason were good though.

This was one of a handful of "Speed limit 55 sucks" type movies. Add in Cannonball Run, Gumball Rally...

Replica cars are being sold to stupid Boomers with too much money. I hate seeing someone get gypped but don't know who to root for in this example.

Aren't you just a bundle of GenZ sunshine....

Another one who has it all figured out.

Maybe you should stick with those wildly entertaining and completely correct movies that Will Ferret and Adam Sandler are in.

Back